Flip Murray for Bonzi Wells Straight Up

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Dec 23, 2006.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

According to Blakely, Joe D has always coveted Bonzi and if wasn't for Ben Wallace leaving he would be a Piston at this very moment.

Bonzi just got out of Van Gundy's dog house. Houston like Boston is known for making bone headed deals. Maybe they will request the rights of Alex Acker.

Joe will make a trade before the deadline, Flip is going somewhere, Houston is a very possible destination.

I think Bonzi will make the team better, he can't be any worse than Flip M. He is instant offense off the bench when his head is in the game.

We have too many strong personalities on the Pistons team. No way Bonzi comes to the D and stir up trouble. By the time Wallace, Double D and JMax finish with him, he will be humble as a lamb on an elephant farm.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Ok, here's another look at it.

Murray needs the ball to be effective. Bonzi does too.

Blalock is playing because he doesn't dominate the ball, and that is allowing Maxiell to flourish.

I'm not sure how Wells would handle getting 8 MPG if he struggles.

Here is the other side of it.

Right now, we are 3 deep at every position.

C- Mohammed, Davis, Sheed/Dice
    PF - Sheed, Dice, Maxiell, Johnson
    SF - Prince, Delfino, Dupree
    SG - Hamilton, Murray, Delfino
    PG - Billups, Blalock, Murray

If you trade Wells one for one, you better hope our two remaining PGs don't get nicked up or into foul trouble.

And lastly, Houston isn't going to let Bonzi go straight up for Murray. We'll need to do a multiplayer deal (which means we lose someone else as well, and cannot trade Bonzi again this season) or sweeten with draft picks.

I don't want to lose either of those picks this year. We are going to get at least one impact player. Maybe two. I just don't feel that our need for Wells is enough to justify moving one of those.
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

That was Baaaaad lol
  4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Yes we are three deep at every position... even if it is deep in dung.
    We have 3 first round picks in the next couple years... our youth on the horizon also includes Brahma, Delfino, Blalock, Samb, Acker, A.J and the Minn pick... I'm struggling to see how we're gonna utilize so much youth at one time.
    If management feels like they are one piece away from advancing to the finals (low risk at that) why not roll the Dice instead of having woulda/shoulda regrets later.
    Do you feel more comfortable having playoff experience or first timers in the post season?
  5. roscoe36

Behind a core of Billups, Hamilton and Prince silly!

In the words of George Michael, "You gotta have Faith, faith faith..."

The East is weak. Our wildcard is our experience and the x-factor is our health. I don't think Joe is going to make moves just to make moves.

That's a loaded question to which I will answer...

Would you rather have Prince in his first playoffs or Bonzi from last year?

I think the Brahma, with continued minutes can have a Prince like impact and Delfino, despite all of the hand-wringing is not playing bad, he's just not playing great. If he plays great (and he should be given another 20 games to sort it out), we'll be darn near unstoppable.
  6. detteam

detteam All-Star

Military women have an 'interesting' way of putting things...ROCK ON AG! :gun1::cheerleader:
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

What do I look like... "the Shell answer man?" (anyone remember him?) lol
    Bonzi kicked ass in last years playoffs.

If we follow this rabbit hole a lil further... our strength moving forward is clealy at PF... Acker is better suited as a SG... Blalock has yet to earn his stripes.
    We have Nazr commited for several years at the 5.
    Delfino's future status is wide open (trade demands, resigning etc)
    By next year we have to make a deal(s) to clear more room for the youngsters coming in (picks and current bench warmers)... or move some youth for a positional need with experience...
    We have a glut at PF to deal with.
    It would seem that we would draft a big to compete with Nazr.
    February is usually the time when you can deal from strength....
    Point being if we stay the course we will have way too many roster spots taken which could lead to losing young talent...
    Since Joe has to look ahead it seems like a 2-4-1 deal is in order (or trading a pick)
  8. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

Have you jumped on the Delfino bandwagon?
  9. roscoe36

Merc, this is how I see the roster looking in the offseason.

Billups
    Hamilton
    Prince
    Wallace
    Mohammed

McDyess
    Hunter (possible retirement)
    Dupree (he should have bolted for Europe a long time ago)

Maxiell
    Johnson
    Delfino
    Blalock

1st round pick
    1st round pick
    2nd round pick/Samb/Acker

Note, we don't have a bi-annual, and if Hunter retires (or Dupree/Dice opts out) we can use the MLE on a FA provided we don't need it to defend Johnson as a restricted free agent, or to sign Acker.
  10. roscoe36

My issues with Delfino were when he didn't seem to show a lot of passion or desire. We know he has some skills, and now that he is showing a more consistent effort, I truly believe it is only a matter of time until we see more consistent results.

I reserve the right to flip-flop on this if he speaks to his home press about playing somewhere else. ;)
  11. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

If Joe covets Bonzi, I think it is because of his toughness. When his head is in the game and he is competing hard, he is a bit of a badasss at his position. You have got to figure that Joe learned the value of intimidation in this league early on, playing with Laimbeer, Mahorn, Dantley and Isiah.
  12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

That looks pretty good Roscoe... I forgot we didn't use all of our roster spots this year...
    That bench looks looks fairly inexperienced (read lots of t.o.'s and poor decisions)
  13. roscoe36

If Wade can win a title in his third season (turnover machine), I feel ok with 3rd year Maxiell, Johnson, second year Blalock and 4th year Delfino holding down the 6~10 spots.

This is a youth/athleticism driven league now.

We can always pursue Gary Payton this offseason if it will help you sleep better. :rofl:
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

LMAO... I heard Uncle Cliffy was on the block

They're my kiddies ... I'm not sharing them with other teams:ner-ner:
  15. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

We have four picks this year I think. Two in the first round and two in the second.

Who's gonna go next season. If this draft is as deep as the experts are predicting, we may luck up ang get four guys who can contribute with at least two being impact players right off the top.

Not enough balls to go around. Someone has to be moved sooner or later.
  16. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Just looking around the league what other teams are in as good a position as the Pistons right now? Our core of starting five is really solid, the team is starting to jell, the bench are getting some minutes and we have some exciting young-uns. With 4 picks in the next draft this is the time to really scout out the needs of the team for the next 3-5 years and figure out what to trade for to keep at the top of the heap. So trading Flip for Bonzi just seems like a band-aid, it just moves a different name tag on a locker for a player that isn't in our long-term plans. I'm all for a big blockbuster trade that will make an impact, but not something that's just window dressing. Didn't the Pistons originally have Bonzi as one of their draft picks? I'm certainly not in love with Flip Murray but the guy has only been here for what a little over 20 games and he needs Chauncey to take him out and ask him "if he's with us" and make him really part of the team.
  17. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

maybe in another 20 games chauncey should be asking himself that question...
  18. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Bonzi just entered the game against the Clippers. I think he is wearing one of Big Ben's old head bands that da Bulls had auctioned off!!

Well we know that if Houston trades him it won't be to da Bulls!!!

:gun1:
  19. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

So far Bonzi is lighting it up.

0 for 3 from the field including a open 15 foot air ball
    and
    2 turnovers

:hoops:
  20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

With Yao being out at least six weeks they are stuck with Mutombo as their only center... maybe this thread will have some legs...Bonzi or Battier?