Flip Murray for Bonzi Wells Straight Up

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Dec 23, 2006.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

I've wanted Battier to be a Piston for a few years now...apparently Battier wants that too.

NBA.com: Player News

He has the grit to be a Piston.
  2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd be fine with our young bench in the playoffs as long as they continue to see minutes in the regular season. We still have several vets off the bench too. Hunter, DD, Dice and Flip Jr. I'm actually starting to really like our bench mix. Combined with our playoff tested starting 4, we should be in solid shape even without making a move.

WAAAAAAY too easy.:pound:

I'd take Battier in a Detroit minute.

Agreed. Add my name to the petition.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Playoff experience is very valuless if the player has no talent. Suffering Murray to play point when he has no point guard skills at all, just because he has playoff experience? Suffering Mohammed playing for us when he can't get over to challenge penetration or to clear the defensive glass? Rookie or not, I will always take the player with the talent. Blalock can play the point. He is a 4 year college player from a good program. And he has the poise to show it. Amir Johnson is an amazingly poised player for his age-with all the speed in the world to get over and block shots. Thats what I want in the rotation. And you know, if Maxiell would not have gotten into the rotation just recently, I would be having to add him to this discussion. (Thankfully, now that everyone sees what a beast the guy is in the post, they can understand why he is needed on the team, and for the upcoming playoffs.)
  4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Some of y'all might remember this... but Battier used to be a ball boy at the Palace during the Bad Boy era... he said that he and Joe became close... it's more than just being a local boy.
  5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Lee, the concept was to move one of our picks to acquire a proven vet talent... not about how effective our current vet bench is.... although we know how you latch on to a whipping boy and never let go... Nazr is not nearly as bad as you portray him.
    Since this is the Holiday season, Id like to wish you and the Lee family a Merry Christmas.
  6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Bonzi. NO. Battier. YEAH!!!
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Saw this suggestion on another board... interesting.
    Flip Jr & Dice for Magette
    Clips do it cause Magette wants a new team (Chicago native)... it gets them out of the Lux tax next year (if Flip opts out)... they have recent injuries to Zelly, Kaman & ET phone home.
    This frees up Amir for some burn and Brahma takes over the main reserve role.
    Magette is signed for two more years (after this one) for 7M each.
    Some question his IQ and defense... you can't question his ability to finish...
    A recent eval:

[​IMG] Scoring machine
    [​IMG] Slashes and gets to the line prolifically
    [​IMG] Has improved his jumpshot, is now consistent from all spots
    [​IMG] A good leaper and dunker, and incredibly strong
    [​IMG] Uses that to his advantage on defense, but is foul prone​

Honestly I don't want to trade the whole team... it's just fun speculating on what Joe might me working on.
  8. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Clips wouldn`t be to smart to make that trade, however, I like it as a Piston fan.
  9. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

I'm down with the FlipM for Bonzi trade. Provided it's straight up (or maybe throw in Dupree), and does NOT include any of our picks. Bonzi is a flat out stud who CAN score and play defense. I can't imagine that somebody thinks FlipM is the better player. No freakin way!! The "trouble-maker" rep don't faze me either. We can handle that.

However, if we do that trade, Delfino could be the odd man out. Unless he can play some point. Either way it goes, I don't think FlipM will be back. He ain't a bad player, just a bad fit.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Merc, I took exception to the last sentence of your post, so maybe I should have deleted the rest for clarity. I will answer your question more simply: absolutely, first year players are fine in the playoffs if they have the talent. Remember Tay? I had the same argument all year long that year concerning him. I said he had the talent. Many, many said he was a rook. I say still, so what. Talent is talent. Play the talent, do not label palyers based on years in the leauge. Amir for instance is ready to go right now, at age 19 and no real NBA experience. And we can absolutely use his shotblocking in the playoffs.

Merry Christmas to you Merc, and to all.
  11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Tay over MC... now that was a tough and original decision by you... your unique genious is truly amazing.
    We've been down this road (I left your forum).
    peace, love, happiness and all of that happy horse sh** :^)
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Any trade assets we have, we should address our biggest need first. We need a big center to throw in against Shaq in the playoffs. Until we have one, pretty much everything else is just treading water.

Here is what a truly wise Piston GM would do. Beg, plead, whatever to get Elden Campbell to come back for this season. Barring that, well, its going to depend on whats available around trade deadline.
  13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Um, any trade should include improving your team.
  14. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I think that's missing the point. The point is, Tayshaun was a rookie, and he was a beast in the playoffs. I get the feeling that you think every rookie will go into the playoffs and fall flat on their face. That's just not the case.
  15. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

``Remember Sprewell? Was probably the best move we didn't make. I'm starting to think that Bonzi falls into the same class.''

Roscoe, I agree with this quote, but disagree with you. Spree coulda been useful last year against Miami, when everyone else was chucking 3s in Game 6. Spree's a clown, but also smart player and a competitor. He was the only guy trying in Game 5 the year the Raptors took down the Knicks in the playoffs, 2001 was it? He coulda been the different last year in the Miami series. Bonzi could be that guy this year. Or, heck -- maybe Spree this year. But we're not a strong enough group to blow off such risky players if they come at a discount.
  16. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

That said, I'm all for letting Delfino develop, and if he's giving us something good at the all-star break I probably wouldn't be in favor of acquiring Bonzi. But if Delfino's still struggling to find his role, this is a move we'd have to look at.
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I thought this as well.

I agree with lee that talent is talent. I agree with Merc that inexperienced talent are more likely to make big mistakes.

But, in the immortal words of Dick Vermeil, "It's time to take the diaper off the baby..."

Next year our problem gets exacerbated. We've got 2 or 3 rookies coming in, and might even look at Samb.

Is it about winning a title this year, or preparing to be a contender in the post-Sheed era? We've gotta start thinking ahead.
  18. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I sure hope not!!.

He was #4 on Fakers depth chart at center, behind, Kwami, Andrew and Ronny which probably puts him on the level of Mikki Moore at best!!!

:hoops:
  19. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Big Ben is only 6'9" and 240 and even did a pretty good job against The Diesel and a great job against everyone else.

They say Amir added some inches last year and was up to 6'11 1/2 last summer and probably up to at least 225. He will add some more lbs over the next few years. My guess is that he is the guy Joe D. is thinking of to backup Nazr and eventually replace him as the starting center.

:hoops:
  20. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Elden probably is weighing in at 3 bills and some change right about now. They have named a Krispy Kreme donut after him called the E-Clipse. LOL!!!:pound: :pound:

It is a good idea though. All he needs to do is impead Shaq going to the hoop for uncontested dunks and to keep him out of the paint for about 10mins a game. By that time Shaq will be out of gas and so will Elden.