Flip Murray is a Piston

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by FreshPrince22, Jul 14, 2006.

1. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Neither did Rip.

The quote from Washington on him was something along the lines of "can't guard a pot of Earl Grey at a little kids tea party".

Who knows what Murray will be like on the court if this situation turns out to be the right fit for him? By the All-Star break this signing could be touted as one of the biggest F/A steals of the summer.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I posted this elsewhere and will post here again.

Flip Murray is a natural shooting guard. He is 6'4" and around 190 lbs. Most NBA Small forwards are usually 6'5" ~ 6'6" and weigh in at around 220.

Flip is also (contrary to the reports that he will primarily backup Billups) not much of a ball handler.

When Flip comes into the game, we're gunna be hoping he puts up points in a hurry. That is the strongest part of his game. If he can get a rhythm, he's a dangerous scorer.

As an aside, Flip should fire his agent. Apparently he turned down a 3 year $15 million dollar deal (from Detroit) expecting more interest in free agency. When his phone didn't ring, he settled for 2 years, $3.6 million. While we got a bargain, the management of his contract negotiations cost him over $11 million dollars in guaranteed money.
  3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wow, that is a HUGE difference.

Thank GOD we didn't sign him for 3 @ $15!
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

All the agent can do is bring the client the offer. He can't force him to accept it.
    His agent may have negotiated for the 15 million or perhaps at least suggested Flip accept it, and Flip got big headed and refused.

LOL, sorry...but you know I had to take up for his agent (lawyer).
  5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You never know. Maybe Flip was leaning towards taking the initial offer, but his agent advised him to wait because he could get him a better deal. :noidea: It could go either way.

But the good news is, we didn't pay him $15 million!
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

If he did get big money then there would've been pressure to get him minutes and get some value. Now he's just a body Flip can flip out there.
    Does he have a good personality?
    Damn now we must seperate the noun from the verb. BBallJ better capitalize.
  7. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Sort of makes one wonder what Ben's replacement would have been had Joe spent the MLE on Murray.

Instead of Murray/Nazr we would have Murray/who???

Looking on the bright side, I guess things could have been worse.
  8. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

9. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Quote from an older Seattle article

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"Just to set the record straight, Murray told the TNT broadcasting team during an interview Thursday night how he really acquired the nickname "Flip." [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Murray said some people call him Flip because he was a rambunctious youth who enjoyed performing acrobatic feats. [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]He also said a childhood friend gave him the name after the two watched the film "Above the Rim." Comedian Bernie Mac played a character called Flip."

Percy Allen-Seattle Times
    [/FONT]
  10. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

11. roscoe36

Cloud, not to be rude, but I think some people wanted to rant more. All of this good press about Flip makes that... difficult.

Just kidding. Thanks for the article links. Great reading. Let's look forward to the positives!
  12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I'd feel more encouraged if the article wasn't 2 and 1/2 years old. I think we've basically seen what Flip (the player) can and cannot do.

Flip (the coach) also seemed to be enamored with Mo Evans, and I don't agree with his coaching strategy (the watch and pray that it works or that people blame others if it doesn't) so I don't get too excited about what he believes or thinks.

Murray might turn out to be ok,though. We shall see. But I think I'd just rather see the kids get a fair shake.
  13. linwood

linwood All-Star

On the one hand, Flip the Coach's enthusiam for the kid doesn't encourage me. I don't have a too much faith in the guy right now.

On the other hand, reading the articles reminds me of some of my other favorite Pistons players. Division II school, late draft (no draft) pick, strong work ethic, etc. Maybe the guy does have Pistons DNA. :fingerscr
  14. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Um... Flip Saunders was far from the only coach in those articles impressed with Murray.

In fact, I think it's sort of funny that even if Joe D would have made the more popular (around here) coaching hire in Nate McMillan, the current Pistons coach would still think very highly of Flip Murray.
  15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Ok, we've gotta come up with a different name... this two Flip thing ain't workin'... Flipper, Flipster, Murray, Ronald, Tweener, Flippy... let's just hope it ain't Flop

I'm starting to wonder if:
    A) Acker is getting a better offer from a different team
    B) Joe's building depth for a trade
  16. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

...sigh...

At the time I didn't want Nate McMillan because of the Sonics' abysmal defense under him, but man would I ever go for McMillan instead of for Mr. No Adjustments Whatsoever Flip Saunders AND no defensive emphasis.
  17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Why did 29 teams pass on giving Flip part of their MLE?... isn't Denver desperate for a scoring SG?
  18. roscoe36

Actually, I wondered why he was so quick to jump on our BAE.
  19. roscoe36

Apparently Maccabi Tel-Aviv is interested in Alex Acker.

http://badboysummercamp.com/2006/07/15/end-of-2006-tvsl-news-and-notes/
  20. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I've really been preparing myself for "B", since Joe did insinuate that Ben leaving could be the domino that sent the whole process in motion.

It wouldn't be shocking or anything at this point if Joe comes out with moves similar to what he did when he first took over, seems crazy now but ends up being good down the line type stuff.

What's almost surprising,however, is that the Pistons haven't been mentioned in this years edition of the "Iverson Sweepstakes", since Joe has gone after him at least twice before.