1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Flip Murray

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dumars4Ever, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

what is with the bonzi fascination. guy was an underacheiving disruptive force until his contract year in sac and after that couldn't get signed. finally in houston he still is at odds with his coach.

mo evans then flip murray. I'm sure once flip goes to another team he'll be solid just like mo is now but if you believe in Delfino's talent and dumars did sign him...you will only get out of him what you invest. if you only invest 50% you're only going to get 50% of what you expected.

2. linwood

linwood All-Star

3. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

I ain't fasinated with Bonzi. Just sayin he's within contract range.

Having said that, Bonzi gives us another look. A legit post up guard and another rebounder. Plus he can hit the three. No pretensions about playing point a-tall. Just cause he's "at odds" with his coach in Houston don't mean he won't get along here. He sure had one helluva season last year with Sacramento. I'd take a chance on him for the money.

If Delfino could shoot half as good as #6, FlipM wouldn't be here.

4. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

flip murray can't shoot. i've seen that dude shoot the ball over the rim on a bank shot. he puts up enough shots a night so his percentage may not look bad. delfino shoots maybe 3 times a game so if he only makes 1 it throws the percentages off. delfino also usually shoots with the clock running down and it's an afterthought shot. he's usually money when he shoots within the flow of the offense. i also think that if he got more shots of didn't feel like 2 missed shots would put him on the bench he would shoot better.

5. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I completely agree. Look wt the games Delfino put together at the end of last season when he knew he was going to get the playing time. I can't find the stats from his last two games last year but he put up some good numbers. And that was playing with the reserves most of the game.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Is Flip Murray doing a better job than Alex Acker would be doing? They seem to be similar in a lot of ways.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Acker is a much better outside shooter IMO.

8. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

...and ball handler, defender, human being, firefighter, preist, and deep sea fisherman

9. roscoe36

That reminds me of a quote by Robert Heinlein.

10. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

What I don't get is why Saunders continues to back him. Two articles today, it's clear McCoskey was talking to Joe Murray seems to be a bad fit - 12/20/06 - The Detroit News Online, and Freep writer Silva interviewed Saunders Murray's stock expected to rally PISTONS CORNER.

The McCoskey article makes it seem like its just a question of how and when Murray will be gone. While the freep article has Saunders defending Murray and basically saying Murray is due, and just needs more time.

Can not understand why Flip sticks up for stiffs that everyone else sees can't play, and yet he has to be forced, by Joe, just to get Delfino and JMax some playing time. Is Saunders just a bad judge of talent, or just stubborn. He thinks Murray is great, and no amount of bad games will change his mind, he'll keep playing him, till Murray proves him right.

11. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Cuz Flip needs a 'lover' in Detroit since his family is in Minny. JD traded his 'lover' Mo to the Fakers, so this season it's Flip as his 'lover'. Another reason is because his name is FLIP!!!!

:stirthepot:

12. roscoe36

Maybe I'm giving Flip too much credit here, but maybe, just maybe, he is using Murray as a motivational tool for Delfino.

13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

From what I saw Flips shooting % is the same as anyone getting 12-15 minutes. Why do you say he sucks?
    If he goes cold he should be yanked liked anyone else.

14. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

We are not paying Flip Murray much and he will probably be gone next year. For under 2 mil you won't get a really great player. I would not be happy if we had used the mle on him. But this gives us a year to try him out for a cheap price. Looks like we didn't lose much with not getting Bonzi. I wish we had gotten Jalen.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Since I seem to be in a stats mood today, I'll put FM and CD side by side. These are 2 guys that I don't really have an opinion on. I like them both. Flip's strengths seem to be different than Delfino's, so it may be a bit of an apples and oranges thing. The only argument I can make for Delfino is that he will potentially improve his field goal % with greater PT.

Let's give each guy 20MPG, to match what Flip gets (Delfino gets 13).

Flip Murray/ Carlos Delfino- per 20
    Points- 6.5/ 5.6
    Rebs- 1.9/ 3.5
    Ast- 1.5/ 1.2
    Stls- 0.6/ 0.5
    Blks- 0.2/ 0.2

FG% .416/.394
    3P% .407/.342
    FT% .658/.889

FGA in the paint
    24%/ 25%

Fouls drawn/ FGA
    9.9%/ 7.8%

Hmm. No definate conclusion. Carlos gets more boards, but doesn't shoot as well. They both get to the rim.

16. roscoe36

Just based on observation, Carlos provides superior hustle and defensive playmaking ability. I think Flip rebounds a lot of his own shots from the baseline.

17. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

And only a 0.3 difference in assists is a little scary since Flip was playing the point a lot of those minutes.

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Hey, a rebound is still a rebound. If that is the case, then it makes his eFG% even better.

I feel like Flip provides more offensive energy and Carlos defensive.

19. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

20. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Flip doesn't provide more offensive energy! The ball dies in his hands until he is forced to put up a shot himself. If anything; Delfino's ability to rebound and get the ball out from under the basket on his own to start a fast break gives us more offensive energy. When the rest of the guys on the floor gain confidence in him, they will realize they can bust tail down the floor when Delfino gets a rebound andthey may get some easy buckets. Right now he comes out of the pack with the ball on the fly and his teammates are still behind him.