Flip not Coming Back per WDFN

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Delfino Delivers, Jun 3, 2008.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Here's how I see it: if they name Curry a coach than it just means that they don't see Laimbs in that position. Nothing wrong with Curry, but I'd love to see Laimbeer get on their behinds.
  2. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Do we really know very much about Michael Curry as a person or a coach? Even when he was playing here, he did not make a striking impression as a personality, at least to me. I think we know a lot more about Lambs, and he does have the benefit of having head-coaching experience, even if it was with the Shock. Avery has not had much success in the playoffs, and at least in Dallas I think the feeling is that that team has underachieved in each of the last three playoff runs under Avery. Do we want another underachieving playoff coach?
  3. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

already:stirthepot:, huh?

:)
  4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    That's my view. What's yours?

:hoops:
  5. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

If I hear Mike Curry as the replacement; I will be very disappointed. I just do not see any excitement in that announcement.

It would be a let down in my opinion. Just sayin'.
  6. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Joe D. on WDFN right now if you can stream it.
  7. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

As long as there is no changes in starting lineup, new coach can change little.
    I do not think that yelling at them earns respect from current starting5.
  8. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

We got we asked for, don't be sure that any replacement is going to do any better, if at all. Flip was a decent coach w/ playoff limitations. I think he improved in this playoffs and had too much accountability was on his head. The players got older and did not produce. Firing Flip better be the beginning of changing the core. This is a very tenuous time for the Pistons organization. Change can be for the good or worse, let's see what the new HC brings. 8 coaches in 15 years is not an enviable track record.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good stuff from Joe D. You can listen live from the WDFN web site.
  10. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

DAAAYYYUUUUM Joe is ticked off.

He said "You're damn right I will" in response to whether he will look to make "significant changes"

"If I can get somebody to dance with me I will"

Everyone is on the table to be traded "There are no sacred cows on this team.....you lose that status when you lose in the conference finals for three straight years like we have"

Stated that the last quarter of game 6 was indicative of the last 3 years, we were good enough, we should have made the finals, we failed.He is not happy about it AT ALL.
  11. RupertPupkin

RupertPupkin Second Round Draft Pick

I disagree. 3 times to the ECF with the team we had is the bare minimum.

I mean seriously, we went to the Finals 2 years in a row, and basically kept the exact same team afterwards... how do we come up short?

He single-handedly ran Ben Wallace out of Detroit (which is good or bad, depending how you look at it. Hindsight is 20/20)... he turned Chauncey Billups from the elite PG that LB transformed him into, into just an above-average Point Guard.

He tried to make Rip Hamilton a 3-pt shooter (remember in '06?), and he did not have the respect of this team.. No one one that team looked to him for guidance or inspiration, he was just a suit on the sidelines.

The players could not have had a coach on the sidelines and they would have made it to the ECF 3 years in a row. Billups, Wallace, and Hunter basically coached the team themselves. And look at it like this, was Miami, Cleveland, and Boston really better than us?

You can give a good argument for Boston, but I will never believe that Miami and Lebronland (err, Cleveland) were better teams than the Detroit Pistons. We were outcoached, overplayed, and could not come up with answers when the pressure was on. During the Brown years, when we needed a big play after a timeout, he always provided one... whether it was an open screen & curl for Rip, a 3-pointer for Billups, or an alley-oop to Big Ben/Tayshaun... Flip just basically threw his hands in the air and let the players decide what to do.

Glad he's gone. Time to start a new chapter and work our way back to the Finals the same the way we got there the first time, working hard, doing the dirty work, and executing our plan.
  12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Joe D said that he wants to break up the core guys.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Joe, you should have seen the pattern at least 1 year earlier.
  14. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

He said he wants to change "a major portion of the core" players.

Supposedly just as high on Amir as he has always been.

Asked a question about Rasheed, his answer was "If he's here, we'll have that conversation....if he's here."

"I just think this team became wayyy too content and did not show up with the sense of urgency to get it done"

"Those other three teams (in the playoffs) were playing harder than us"

"When you get game 2 and come back home and lose game 3 like that, theres no sense of urgency"
  15. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Joe not BS'ing AT ALL.

Wow.
  16. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

EVERYONE IS IN PLAY!
  17. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

the way he talked about rip, tay, and sheed, i'd say sheed is gone for sure, and chauncey is the next likely.

he also mentioned stuckey and amir as guys he considered to be (or could become) special players, while maxiell and afflalo are guys you have to have on your team to compete (i took that as role players).

either way, great stuff from joe, and i think we're headed for an (if nothing else) exciting summer.
  18. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

You need a coach with some war stories. You need some one who can coach the mind and put some fire under their collective arses. You need someone who knows the right buttons to push. You alsop need that general on the floor who will keep everyone straight. Can C-Biscuit do it?? Or is it time for someone else t step up.
  19. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

oh he also said that they will move quickly for a head coach. he said he doesn't want a long, drawn out process...that he'll talk to a couple guys this week and then he'll make his decision.
  20. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

"There are no sacred cows." - Joe Dumars.