Flip not Coming Back per WDFN

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Delfino Delivers, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

The more I think about it and listening to Joe; the more I feel that Beer is the man for the job.

One thing Joe said was that he didn't feel like he and the coach were on the same page all the time. It sounded to me like he was eluding to playing the young guys CONSISTENTLY. He said there was too much "drifting". Sounds like the youngsters will get a chance to make a difference next year and that the coach chosen will be given the responsibility to get them ready.

Laimbeer has got three rookies in the rotation and oh yeah; they are 5-1 and in first place.
  2. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Where are these teams that beat us?? They still did not make it to the ECF. Where is Cleveland?? where is the Heat. History says Detroit will be right there and the Celtics will fall off. We need some one who will teach/inspire this team to be winners, not be just as good.
  3. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Haven't read this thread yet, but just heard the news. Go Joe D!! Apparently, he wasn't drinking the "special" kool-aid :)

edited to add;

I just read the break up a significant portion of the core. Don't know how thrilled i am about that.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Heard the strong words from Joe D last year too. Winning 2 games in the ECF is the team doing it on its' own. Coaching is what carries it past that point. At least Curry looks alive on the sidelines. If you were keeping this group together though I would prefer Laimbeeer.

If Sheed & KG switched sides, would DET have won the series? I say no. Ditto if you switched Rip for Allen, CB for Rondo or Dyess for Perkins. To me, the only way they win is if you swapped Tay for Pierce.
  5. raxrets

raxrets Starter

please, please, somebody post that interview. Wher is "I beg you" smiley when it is needed?
  6. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Don't buy this. What did Doc Rivers do that indicated he outcoached Flip? I din't see anything of significance. Their guys wanted it more and Doc managed to stand out the way.
  7. RupertPupkin

RupertPupkin Second Round Draft Pick

It doesn't matter where they are now. It matter where they were in '06, '07, and '08. Because as I'm sure you'll agree, we are and WERE better than those teams! And we should not have lost in 6 games for 3 straight years! Whether we won or lost those series, we'd still be in the ECF every year following, so I'm not sure why that would be brought up.

And if you're satisfied with just making the ECF every year and losing to an inferior team, then that's fine. If you're happy with your team for almost being the best every year then more power to you.

But I'm not.
  8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

i disagree. It's hard to belive that Doc Rivers can outcoached anybody, but he outcoached Flip. He wasn't afraid to throw his bench guys in there. He didn't hesitate to pull someone who was ineffective. He varied his subs, and most importantly his guys had confidence in him, and he was able to keep them motivated and ready. He emphasized rebounding, and they rebounded. It looks like we had the same problem this season with players privately questioning the coach's moves. And LH saying that they need a strong coach is telling.

Also this is a little OT and not directed at anybody, but i'm getting really tired of ppl talking about how our defense was so great under Flip and referencing #'s like Points allowed. Anyone with two eyes could see that our defense was awful a majority of the time, easy layup, drunks, open shots galore. And we couldn't rebound which is a major part of defense. Even the players will tell you it sucked.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

I kind of high jacked this thread and was talking about looking for a player to blame the loss on outside of Flip. KG put up some big numbers, but I don't think he would have if the tables were turned. On D, he didn't have to worry about containing penetration from the wings or coming out to trap screen/rolls. He only had to cover Sheed for the most part. Flip didn't help, (and in some instances like defensive strategy - he was a detriment) but DET has some personnel issues to boot.
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Down goes Frazier
    Down goes Frazier
    Down goes Frazier
    -
    JD could overreact---Just move the coach and Sheed if necessary.
  11. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

The Celts won because their starters played better than ours not because of the bench. W/O referring to stats the bench impact was pretty minimal in my memory. I will grant Posey was a pest.
  12. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I second that. You knew that Pierce and KG will produce. Allen woke up and he cancelled out Rip's production. Sheed got outplayed by Perkins, Tay was non-existent. Dice did everything he could, but he can't be counted on to carry the team. Ditto for Chauncey. Sure Stuckey and J-Max contributed, but it wasn't nearly enough.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

I disagree with that. To me, Sheed & Dyess never got a chance to guard those guys becuase they had to help their wings so much. To top it off, coming out of the gate and showing that there would be help gave BOS time to figure out what they were doing as the series goes on.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just because their bench was a no-show doesn't mean that ours had to be. We could have got to the Finals without our starters having their A-game.
  15. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I don't agree with that AT ALL. Boston's not a great team, but they're pretty darn good. I simply don't see how you can hope to beat a team like that if your starters aren't getting it done. It took ALL of our primary guys producing at important times to win that Game 2 in Boston. If they had just been able to follow that up at home, even with B+/A- level production from the starters as a whole (ranking Game 2 as an A), they would have won the series.
  16. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I guess that's why Joe is talking about changes.
  17. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Boston beat us with 3 starters. Their bench is terrible, apart from Posey knocking down open 3's. We could have had a chance if all five of our starters had good games instead of a different one each time.
  18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

That's twice now Posey's had his hand in our undoing. Ainge earned his keep.
  19. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Right. Changing the coach is the right move, but the core of the team needs work as well.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I really don't understand the belief that everything has to be on the starters shoulders and the bench makes no real difference.

It's like you buy into Flip's system without question.

It reminds me of the argument from other team's fans that all that matters is how good the superstar player performs and the other starters are just filler.