Flip not Coming Back per WDFN

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Delfino Delivers, Jun 3, 2008.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

D4E, integrating the bench would've given the Celts looks they've never seen. We were good enough beat Or. with out AA and Amir but maybe not the Celts.
  2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I forgot to mention this earlier, but if you look back at our thread for Game 3 of the ECF, I did some pre-game posts about how surprised I was that the Celtics blog I stopped by seemed to be in such a positive mood, as opposed to the doom and gloom I saw there when they were losing on the road to Atlanta and Cleveland (to be fair, I didn't stop by there after Game 4 of the ECF).

The post-Game 3 mood on that Celtics blog was confidence that they could win because they were sure the Pistons weren't going to play as well again as they did in Game 2. I thought it was awfully presumptuous of them to be thinking that way, especially considering that they had yet to win a single playoff game on the road, but unfortunately, they were a lot more right than wrong.
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

That's kind of weird too because Celts hadn't won a road game. They saw we had maxed out.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I will not disagree with you here. Although Joe Dumars is one of my heroes, I will not give him a free pass on responsibility for what happened three straight years. If Joe was interested in any respect from me, or many others, he would have fired Flip this year. Yes, that would have taken guts. Why didn't he. He instead let Flip lose yet another easily winnable series. That is called closing the barn door after the cows have all ran off. Too late.

I am sure that yet again, Joe will claim next year will be different. Sure Joe, talk all you want. Talk is cheap. If Mike Curry is hired as coach, and proceeds to repeat some of the nonsense Flip Saunders just did, you better fire him. Not at the end of the season, when it is too late, but as soon as you see non-sense occurring.

Mike Curry has zero experience coaching pretty much, despite his thinking that he does have experience. Older vets helping on the coaching is a far cry from actually having any responsibility as a coach. His pay should be minimal, with no guarantee past the first year, and a clear understanding that he won't make the whole season without performance in all areas. Like winning, and developing the team. Depth. Youth. Key skills.

By the way, I say hire Porter. On the same terms - though at higher pay of course. Don't break up the team. See what Porter can do.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I don't care who they hire as long as they stress outside shooting and zone defenses.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Don't think I haven't considered it. Broke my piggy bank open and started separating the real copper pennies from the clad ones. lol

I've been pissed since Game 5. I will be pissed for some time yet.

Replacing a coach, not firing a coach earlier than necessary.

I dunno. I expect more. This is the same sort of "we're doing something" stuff I've seen before. Joe's anger and disgust on the radio, slightly more angry than last year, but basically the same deal.

When the roster is switched up, then I will be a believer again.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not saying those were guaranteed ships, I'm just saying that with superior coaching, our team was capable of winning it all. With average coaching, we were still capable, but the players didn't make it happen. Replace Flip with a box of rocks and I still think this team would have made the playoffs, but would have been eliminated in the first round. So, in my book, Flip's contribution was getting us past a sub .500 team in Philly and the Magic.

I'm not going to blame a player for poor execution if their hearts and minds were there. IMO, CB and Rip played their hearts out. They battled through injuries and carried the team at times. Tay was the man in the first 2 rounds. As he had no real backup and was in charge of guarding Iggy + Turk/Lewis + the Truth, I'm willing to cut him a little slack for not bouncing out of the gym deep into the 3rd round. How can you blame Dyess? He bounced back from a broken nose with a new found leadership and played out of his mind for much of the playoffs.

I'm not going to blame Lindsey and Ratliff, cause they did not call their own numbers.
  8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Now we have to live in the world of What if? . . . which is by far one of the most frustrating things.

If we fail, then we need to fail giving it all we have, every strategy, every player, every possible adjustment.

I think that's why i wasn't majorly upset when we lost in the finals. Yes, it sucked. Yes, i wanted to kill Sheed for a little while, but i don't feel like we had potential weapons we did not use. We gave it our all, and lost to a team that was equal to us who happened to have homecourt. For the most part, our gameplans were effective.

I know i'm in the minority, but i still won't say BOS was better. They were a VERY beatable team, and IMO we had the tools to do it. We were the only team that could wear them out with athleticism, and we weren't young and inexperienced like the Hawks. Our strategy in that series was all wrong. I don't even want to think about our defensive strategy on KG, or all the things we didn't exploit. :cold:
  9. roscoe36

Ok, I watched the JD presser. I'm a little more calm.
  10. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Heaven, I'm in heaven
    And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak
    And I seem to find the happiness I seek
    When we're out together dancing cheek to cheek (me plus Pistons minus Flip)

Heaven, I'm in heaven
    And the cares that hung around me through the week
    Seem to vanish like a gambler's lucky streak
    When we're out together swinging cheek to cheek (Pistons Flipless)

Oh I love to climb a mountain
    And reach the highest peak (NBA championship)
    But it doesn't thrill me half as much
    As dancing cheek to cheek
    (being a fan forever)

Oh I love to go out fishing (no, not on TNT I don't)
    In a river or a creek
    But I don't enjoy it half as much
    As dancing cheek to cheek (Pistons Fan Forever)

I'm so glad I don't have to file for divorce. The investment in all those red, white and blue decorations is beyond recouping. Plus, I don't think the Nuggets would make for a good long-term commitment.

Joe, god bless your cujones, however late they made their appearance.

FLIP SAUNDERS IS YESTERDAY'S NEWSPAPER....FLIP WHO?...oh, him?

Take pause for a comrade. Big Ben Wallace, who now wears the uniform of the LeBron's (perish the thought). He knew first.
  11. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

It could very well be that Davidson wouldn't let him do it. Remember all the stuff we heard about Davidson being tired of "paying coaches not to coach"? This time, Joe had an easier sell. As he said in the press conference, it came down to whether they wanted to give Flip an extension or not, since he was going into the last year of his contract. With the answer being "no," that meant firing him, even with that last year left on his deal. That straightforward business-based approach is probably what it takes for Davidson to sign off on a move like this.

On the other hand, I do think it's pretty clear that Joe didn't push hard enough for Amir to get minutes this year. If Joe was that adamant about wanting it to happen, he could have made it clear to Flip that his job depended in large part on integrating the young players, and that Amir was very much included in that bunch. Flip was obviously on board with giving Stuckey consistent minutes, both in the regular season and in the playoffs, so it's not like he had some innate bias against playing young guys. Joe should have been willing to put his foot down on that point, if he felt it was that important for making the team better.
  12. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Serenity now?
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Joe may have told Flip that his job depended on it and Flip may have said, "OK, but I'm still going to do it my way."

That would have taken cajones though, so it is an unlikely scenario.
  14. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

What made you calmer?
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Any [strike]twitching[/strike] I mean comments or soundbytes from Flip yet??

Just wondering if he just going to say somehing like "it got away from me because we didn't make our shots....." :) :( ;)
  16. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

:pound: I don't know why that's so funny, but it is.

--------

I await this interview.
  17. detteam

detteam All-Star

I was thinking the very same thing after hearing the news. Here's to Ben! :cheers:
  18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I think everybody knew except for Bill D's wallet.

edited to add;

ESPN article about the situation

ESPN - Saunders never earned Pistons' respect - NBA

Another quote;
  19. roscoe36

Yeah, like George's Dad, I'm screaming it at the top of my lungs.

[​IMG]

The media making Joe squirm. Like it or not, he's painted himself into a corner. Standing pat won't fly.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's all a dog and pony show, he probably had Rip and Tay in to tell them behind the scenes they are untouchable.

But the pressure all summer is on him.
  20. max

max All-Star

Great piece and thanks for posting that. It looks pretty sure that some deals are going to get done. As Dumars said he does not want to single out any 1 or 2 players as that would drive their value down.

I think what we can see here is that we will still be competitive as Dumars is going to demand equal value in a trade. Secondly that something is going to get done.

Shortlist of players. One would have to believe that Stucky and Amir are not going anywhere. Besides that it looks like everyone including Rip, Tay and CB are up for offers.

Personally, its always been about the team for me. Not a single player is left from the 01-02 that captured our imagination and thouched off this run so things can change pretty fast.