Flip not Coming Back per WDFN

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Delfino Delivers, Jun 3, 2008.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I agree lpgrl, not to mention, playing with any sense of urgency.

It was almost as though we wanted to be somewhere else.

I think this is what Joe D was alluding to especially in games 3 & 6.

2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree.

3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I think it was necessary now. The entire planet knows that either Rasheed or Flip has to go for things to work out. If Joe (even in theory) commits to Flip he hurts his position in trade talks and simultaneously brings down Rasheeds value.

Now that Flip is gone, Joe can say wholeheartedly that he is 100% willing to retain Rasheeds rights next year. That alone was reason enough to walk Flip out the door IMO.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Really insightful post Cloud. Good to have you around.

5. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I do not want curry because it will be like rebuilding...he has never been a head coach before. i do not know why everyone is so high on him, maybe i am wrong. the team for the past 2 seasons have two many so called coaches. i want lindsay gone even though i know it will not happen because of his friendship with joe. i think curry's presense and lindsay's presense undermined flip. that is why i feel flip should have been let go last year. no way he was going to be successful for this team; i feel some of the players blame him for ben wanting to leave even though i feel it was more money offered by bulls. when you saw lindsay standing up with flip during the games, you just sense that flip did not control this team.

6. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

in no way comparing pat riley to curry, but pat riley had no experience save the press box when given the keys to the lakers..... and we all know how that worked out...

you just don't know when/if a guy is ready till you give him the shot

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

But you're pretty sure a guy with experience is ready. So do you flip a coin or go with the sure thing?

If we were the Memphis Grizzlies, I'd say you try to get lucky for cheap. If you are a 6 straight ECF team, then I'd say that you have to be really careful to not waste another year with a weak leader.

8. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Lets name all the coaches with "experience" that either didnt make it to the late rounds of the playoffs, or were flat out fired last year.....

Now lets reassess the definition of "sure thing".... :stirthepot:

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

By sure thing, I guess I mean a guy who is capable of doing the basic things an NBA coach is asked to do. Design plays, make decisions, deal with personel, etc. I'm not saying "pick the guy who will for sure bring you a ship."

For those reasons, I'd go with Avery Johnson, Terry Porter, Bill Laimbeer, Jeff Fricken Van Gundy, or any other guy with coaching experience over Michael Curry. There is a reason guys pay their dues.

10. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

i like the comment joe made about exp though... what good is exp if the coach has 15 years of a .400 record. Not sure who's out there that has exp, and its good exp. And were not talking regular season, we had that... flip track record in the regular season is great. It is all about winning in the playoffs, and who is out there that has exp at doing that?

But again... i'm not sold on currey per say... but there is not one name that jumps to mind that i am sold on... well short of daley, and i don't see that happening GRIN

11. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Okay I'll play along
    Not many players purportedly had the inside track on plays like Curry did.
    Head of the players association?
    If Joe could do that we wouldnt be talking about Flip right now... :pound:... but i see what you are saying.

Different strokes for different folks. If Joe picks Curry I think he has just as good of a chance to succeed/ fail (I'm keeping an open mind :)) as anyone.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

LB had a lot of experience and only a .558 NBA coaching record compared to Flip's .597 mark.

JVG and Avery both have better playoff records than Flip.

13. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Are you looking at base winning percentage or time spent in the final 2 rounds?

:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

14. max

max All-Star

Coaches? I think its safe to say that the Laimbeer ship sailed years ago. He is pretty much a no show around the Palace these days except for Shock games. Maybe he is not even interested anymore.

Dumars denied that Curry has the job, its up to him, Avery and Porter. But someone else can enter the Picture.

Curry was a mrginal player and yet was the Union leader. There is something special about him that could work out for us. It would be a risk but so would anyone else. What happened with Avery that he could not get the team with the best record out of the 1st round 2 years ago? That scares me.

Well it is time for him to step up. No doubt about that. All that talk of holding players accountable last summer and yet the swich was very alive during the season. Then again, its hard to consider a 59 team win a failure.

With how close the games were at some point. In game 5 getting to within a point with a min to go, having a 10 point lead in game 6. Someone like Amir could have pushed us over the top and especially helped out on the glass.

Overall. This is a good thing guys. Some momentum is finally going to be put in motion. I don't know whats going to happen out of it. We could be a .500 team and lose in the 1st round or we could get back to the Finals. At any rate, its going to make for a much more interesting season. I think they have to do something or risk losign some fans. The we are better than the game attitude is so old and few want to see it anymore.

15. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Actually....he responded with a coy "who said that?"

If your girlfriend/wife responded in kind to an accusation that she was cheating on you.......(with a "who said that" rather than a blatant denial) what would you think?

I rest my case your honor.

16. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Correct. JD back himself into a corner with a delusional hope that these series of multi-millionaires will gain a sense of self respect and overcome their past placid attempts of finishing the race.

A new coach will not help because this is a players league, unless you have the dual hats of GM-Coach where you lay a clear path: my way or the highway. Only two coaches can lay out that line and that is POP and Jackson, although the latter does not have the GM title, he rules the roost with his open pathway to the owner.

For me, its out in the open now. JD better hope Davidison lives longer to help him thread through his delusional debts to be paid for past escapades. This latter accomplishment, which many forum members accept only as a cause now lost and rebuilding on the horizon, will have no relief from agony. Personally, I don't have that all-or-nothing believe that unless the win is total and complete, with only you left standing, legitimizes your mountain top.

Now we can see with this change if JD has grown too fat, secretive and isolated to remember the road he has traveled up the mountain. Make no mistake, having power changes everyone. His common maturity has taken a big hit with me.

The summits of the various kinds of business are, like the tops of mountains, much more alike than the parts below--the bare principles are much the same; it is only the rich variegated details of the lower strata that so contrast with one another. But it needs traveling to know that the summits are the same. Those who live on one mountain believe that their mountain is wholly unlike all others.

Walter Bagehot, The English Constitution

17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

edited for link;

ESPN - Dumars deserves props for thinking outside the box - NBA

18. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Nice...that reads like Freep...am I correct?

19. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
  20. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I checked and didn't see it. I found it on a b-ball forum and it didn't have a link, but i'm really curious as to where it came from because that's alot of stuff i've never heard before . . .

edited to add;

Thanks Mikhail. Figures it's Steven A Smith.