Flip not Coming Back per WDFN

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Delfino Delivers, Jun 3, 2008.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

He obviously blocks out portions of his memory b/c i don't see how he can say this with a straight face.

I mean seriously if it happens everywhere you go, it's not everybody else, it's YOU.
  2. max

max All-Star

Maybe its out of step for this thread. Look at the kind of jobs LB has been going for since leaving the Pistons and how that plays into the type of jobs he has always went for. He did not go for the playoff tested teams. He went for the trying to improve and make it to the post-season type of teams. He chose NY and now the Bobcats.

Not exactly NBA powerhouses but they are in need of improvement. Thats what his MO has always been. He has always been a teaching coach and made his name by making teams better. Not necessarily into contenders but always better. Once there is no more improvement to be done he seems to lose interest.

Lets assume for minute that the buyout and the huge NY contract was not about the money. Coaching a team deep into the playoffs is pretty stressfull and was starting to impact his health. The way he is its gotta be tough staying ultra hyper with all that playoff pressure. Maybe he just did not want or need the glory of a long post-season run here. Besides that was never even in the cards when he 1st came here. Nobody expected them to be the team to beat in 04. Then along comes the Knicks that on the surface offered a project that a guy like that would really like.

Guess what I am trying to say is we keep bringing up how great things could have been with LB when all along maybe he never wanted that. 1st thing he said after winning it all in 04 was that he was thinking of retiring and voiced the same concerns right before the 05 playoff run started.

He likes teaching and wants most of all a team full of players that are willing and want to learn.
  3. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

When your players play very well during the regular season then all of a sudden suck in the playoffs 3 years in a row (after no signs of this the 2 years prior to Flip coming over), obviously there is something wrong. This type of thing is exactly what annoyed me most about Flip. He's just willing to accept a couple players "not playing well" and concede the loss as if it should be expected without repercussions.

He would never say that maybe there was something he could have done to help them out. He would never take some pressure off of his players by taking some blame after a loss.
  4. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I agree with everything you said..... and the fact he left doesn't bother me (would have loved for him to stay and be focused on the job at hand though) My issue was and still is how every reporter in the world says we ran him off.
  5. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Well, Larry was fired and his contract was bought out. He did not resign to take another job. So in that sense he was "run off" (just as Flip is now being "run off"). The other thing that affects how reporters view the LB departure is that over the years Bill D. has created a reputation as a kind of hardass owner and one who is largely inaccessible to the media. Shortly after he assumed ownership, he traded Dave Bing because Bing had the audacity to ask that his contract be reopened. He basically banished Zeke forever from the Pistons organization after Zeke leaked to the media Bill D.'s impending offer to have Zeke run the team and actually get a small piece of it. Some even say he dumped Rick C. because of the poor way in which he related to Pistons staff at the front office.
  6. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Carlisle rarely brought a dish to pass at office potlucks and signed up for the Secret Santa gift exchange and forgot to buy a gift.
  7. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

What I had heard was slightly different. It was is that Carlisle had the bad luck to draw Bill D.'s name that last Christmas, and that Bill D. was not very happy with the gift from the "Dollar Store" that Carlisle purchased.
  8. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Well the way I heard it..... Cola showed up to the last "pitch in" with a 99 cent bag of Doritos.....tossed it up on the table and then started going "all you can eat" - Crush Groove style - on everybody elses food.

YouTube - Fat Boys - All you can eat
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Classic vid:pound:love it when they go through the line the second time. which reminds me it's time for lunch and then some Pepcid....:eatpizza::chef2:
  10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Bump

Just because seeing Flip not coming back at the top of this page makes me happy :)
  11. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Yeah Baby!
  12. detteam

detteam All-Star

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Could Suns Talk With Flip Saunders?
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Looks like they decided Flip's assistant would be a better fit. Smart move.
  14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

From what i understand from Sun's fans, that article was BS. It had nothing to do with anything expect the Suns were not considering Flip at all.
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wonder if the Bulls are considering him now and that is why they were slow about pulling the trigger on Dougie.....With the #1 pick they might be afraid that Flip would leave him on the bench.....well he did play Stuckey..
  16. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Great post.
  17. max

max All-Star

Thanks, I did not think anyone noticed.
  18. detteam

detteam All-Star

I'm glad pass99 quoted it because I didn't see it initially. I agree...great post. It was a refreshingly new angle on LB's departure that makes sense to me.
  19. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

This is well put. I think that Joe is now exposed and must make the right PLAYER moves.

Roscoe, You must love your Borsht served cold.......:pound:
  20. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Flip, I appreciated all the consistency that you brought to this team. When PLAYERS rolled over and played dead in the 4th quarter, game 6. I knew that the end was near. I knew that Joe would blame you and not see that the crybabies were taking over the house. Joe opened his big mouth after firing you and now must try to trade players who he stated underachieved. If he doesn't trade them, then he's just a bigmouth. Flip....I will remember the 6 ECF in a row as a highlight of the history of the franchise. Now all I see is doom and gloom. Joe.....good luck trying to pull rabbits out of your [strike]butt[/strike] hat this time........:stirthepot: