Flip not Coming Back per WDFN

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Delfino Delivers, Jun 3, 2008.

1. max

max All-Star

I also have mixed feelings about Flip but the deal breaker for me was his bias toward the veterans. It certainly was not all his fault that we lost but his rotations were not helping matters.

With that said. Carefull what you wish for. Fans from the 90's know what a bad coach is like and Flip was not a bad coach. You will see the difference if we ever get one.

Going to be entering uncharted waters with Curry here. I believe in him but how can we really know? If he does not work out then its going to hit the franchise pretty hard.
  2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I'd rather we be moving than stuck in the same place. With Flip, we werre stagnant. Good but never good enough.

Honestly, you could tell Flip was fired and Elmo was getting hired, and i'd still be thrilled.
  3. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Actually Max, LB4LB started out with his Cleveland and NY rantings while deep in a P/O
    run. Sure there was no more he could do here. But he wanted more money-period-he was a champion and wanted P Jackson kind of money and JD and Mr.D never went there.
  5. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I wonder if both sides could go back if they would change anything.... everybody in the country likes to say how detroit handled it poorly.... well not sure how they were suppose to handle it? throwing all the money in the world wouldn't have fixed what was bothering brown at the time... his job was complete.

On the otherhand, would brown now in perspective, would he have handled things different understanding how good he really had things and how he could of gone down in history as an even better coach...
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Didn't DET put Brown in contact with CLE about a front office job because he didn't think he could continue coaching due to his maladies?
  7. max

max All-Star

Thats what he said. It was a big thing with the Health. I remember that as the main stumbling block.

The Clev job was never a coaching gig as I recall. Somekind of front office consultant.
  8. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

9. MisterZ

MisterZ First Round Draft Pick

Pistons announcing a press conference tomorrow I believe to announce Michael Curry being promoted to Head Coach. Not sure of the time, but it was just announced on WDFN.
  10. detteam

detteam All-Star

11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

^

Worst kept secret ever!

I think I'm one of the few that's happy about this. Yes, he's inexperienced. Yes, this could potentially go wrong.

But we FINALLY have someone that is going to emphasize defense and play the youth. The players really seem to respect him, and all the qualities/quotes I've heard so far are everything we need so I'm cautiously very optimistic.

edited to add; 3 yrs 2.5 mil with a 4th team option? Is that a normal rookie coach contract or is that a really good deal?
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-
    Can't say- but it's all in this forum. We watched pretty close. But Brown's ego just tripped out. There is the health issue. But Brown was all over the place, saying Knicks would be his dream job. Finally Mr. D had enough and bought him out.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I sure would like to know what you read about Curry playing youth. Darn, I started a thread on the subject and I can't find anyone who can show me an article that says Curry is prone to playing young guys.
  14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

My feeling doesn't come from Curry being prone to playing young guys; it comes from Joe D being prone to, and the fact that i think Curry will do everything Joe says.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Try to find an article that says that Curry breaths air.
  16. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Have you found one that says he won't?
  17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Latest I heard is we will play the guys that want it more. He says he never wants to leave a game knowing the other team wanted it more. He says get over the young vs old conflict.
  18. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

I'm a little uncomfortable about these obvious statements...aren't you?
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I like this team I hope he doesn't wreck it.
  20. max

max All-Star

Or maybe Dumars hired a guy who agrees with his team vision. Its possible at least that Dumars would want a coach like that, I would think.