Flip saunders on John Thompson Show *AUDIO*

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Aug 22, 2006.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Flip was interviewed live at the Michael Jordan Air Camp in I think Las Vegas this afternoon. This is pretty much a breakdown of some interesting comments:

On Winning 64 games, then losing to Miami - Flip said the major contributor to the meltdown was based on high expectations, news media, sportscasters i.e. were constantly asking about the chase of the Bulls 72/74 win seasons, came out of the gate too fast, high expectations, Rip and Sheed's injury, Sheed's inability to dominate due to injury after dominating Miami's PF's in the regular season.

On losing Ben - Great loss, however, Ben lacked offense and this is where Nazr will contribute. Mentioned playing Dice so much due to Ben's inability to shoot free throws. Feels that CB, Rip and Tayshaun will flourish with Nazr on the floor. Will keep the same defensive intensity.

New Defense - Flip plan on installing and using the Georgetown Press a lot this upcoming season. Something the players are looking forward too.

Other Stuff - Asked about the concern over the players in the olympics, will there be any energy left to play in the regular season (LBJ, Wade & others)

Overall this was a very good interview, Big John has a way of asking qustions to get the most out of the person being interviewed. I think this was one of the better interviews. Wish you guys could somehow get this on stream, it would certainly be worth it.

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer.

roscoe: audio linkage can be found in Post 34 of this thread.
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Re: Flip saunders on John Thompson Show

--------------------------------------------------------------------
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Was this a radio interview? I might be able to track it down, or Need4Sheed will probably post it in a day...
  4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Why is it I get the heebie jeebies when I read about Flip interviews.
  5. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Blames it on the media?! I am beginning to seriously hate this guy.

What a pansy azz he is.

FLIP: IT WAS SPORTSCENTER! SPORTSCENTER DID IT! IT WAS THE EVIL ESPN! THE MEDIA SET ME UP! THE PLAYERS CHOKED CUZ OF THE MEDIA! CHARLES AND KENNY AND ERNIE RUINED OUR PLAYOFFS BY TALKING SO GOOD ABOUT US! IT WAS THE MEDIA! THE MEDIA JINXED US!

Please get this guy away from my team. For Good.
  6. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I heard this interview on John Thompson`s show too. I am at a lost about Flip, I am beginning to wonder if he is aware this is his second year and if he knows what Joe D`s custom is after year #2?

It was a good interview, however, I don`t believe anything that comes out of Flip`s mouth. He has to show me, not say it. As a matter of fact, he would be better off just implementing something then commenting rather than commenting on something that never happens.
  7. max

max All-Star

They are always going to try to put a good spin on a bad situation.
  8. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I agree with everyone's sentiments about Flip's weak excuses. However, I am intrigued about this entire Georgetown Press on defense idea. Anyone care to share some light as to the specifics of the Georgetown Press? How does it differ from a traditional half/full court press?
  9. armygirl

Hey Roscoe,

It was a radio interview on sportstalk 980 here in washington d.c.
  10. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I dont' know if it really matters. Has any NBA Champion ever credited use of the vaunted Georgetown Press? GIMMIC!
  11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

yeah,:confused: but wtf is it?
  12. Pckast

Pckast First Round Draft Pick

I have found nothing specific on the term Georgetown Press, but came across the following lines on a website:

Georgetown in the 1980s was viewed as a team of Twelve Angry Men—or, to be blunt, twelve angry black men. They had a cadre of intimidating players, who happened to be African American, their reputations enhanced by the stifling press defense and aggressive defense which Thompson employed and encouraged. They were the Raiders of college basketball, everybody's favorite school to root against
  13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I am happy because Flip had an idea on defense. What he has to learn is that he just cant use the same defensive tactics especially in the playoffs. Teams will adjust to the defense and Flip Saunders has to adjust the team as well.

The way Flip talks make me think that he thinks this team might be better with Nazr. Unless there is something that we have never seen out of Nazr this just shows how bad this system was for Ben.:ohwell:
  14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

When we appoach 70 wins this season Flip will need to break the Popparrazzi Press.
    We'll be the Beatle's of the NBA.
  15. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

BTW, one of the things the Georgetown teams were famous for...

Failing in the postseason.
  16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Georgetown won the national championship in 1984....lots of Final Fours.

Georgetown is famous for putting pressure on teams, but I'm not sure what specific press they run. I looked through a bunch of my basketball coaching books, but didn't see any mention of a Georgetown press.
  17. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

Yes, they went to final fours where they were beat by teams with inferior talent. Repeatedly. They had some of the great teams of all time and came away with one championship.
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's the beauty of March Madness. The best team doesn't always win. One bad day and your season is over. There are lots of great teams, but only one team can win it all.
  19. max

max All-Star

You guys got me here as well. I have no idea what this GerogeTown press is. Patino tried somekind of press that worked in college with the Celtics in the late 90's. Did not last too long as it was easy to break and wore down the players too much.

Flip also has some positive things to say in these interviews. He also talks about expanding the bench and focusing more on team developement to be better prepared for the post-season rather than trying to set records. Our Pistons seem to play better without homecourt anyway.
  20. armygirl

Somehow I will get through to 980 J Thompson's show today, I have to hear it from the man himself.

Like someone mentioned before, the best teams don't always win in the NCAA finals. George Thompson is one of my favorite coaches of all time. Don't forget the talent that came out of Georgetown, I am sure I won't have to mention names.

John Thompson is an icon of basketball, the signature white towel over the shoulder is classic. He doesn't pull any punches, just hated to see how his career ended with the whole divorce fiasco and the tirade with the press.

Take nothing from the man, he is old school.