Flip says he'll use his system

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Superstarov, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Well, his system certainly won't consist of 100's of jumpers, zone D, and the vaunted "Georgetown Press"

:bolt:
  2. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

no other coach has truly attacked ben's free throw inability like riley. i mean riley was fouling ben on layups and dunks from the first quarter on. in the 4th quarter he was fouling him and it was as good as a turnover for us. that's why ben was sitting on the bench because riley took him out of the game whether he was on the court or not. flip finally made the decision to sit him that should have been made 2 series ago. in my opinion flip should have sat ben at the start of the season cause he doesn't fit the system.

riley benched shaq several times in 4th quarters.

i've also seen us lose by 1 or 2 points in games where ben missed 6 - 8 free throws. so yes ben can make some 4th quarter plays but he can also kill us with his free throw shooting.
  3. bball jay

it will consist of missed free throws, missed dunks and layups with the courtesy yell of "oooohhhh", career highs by young big men, players refusing to go into the game, the worst offensive player on the team gets to take the first shot of the game.

sounds like a successful system to me.
  4. Pwn Toney

sounds slightly more successful than giving #2 picks who play soft, don't rebound, pout, and toss 20ft jumpers off the rim all night unearned playing time over a 4-time defensive player of the year and another player that's all-star calibur.
  5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I won't argue with this... but if you were truly be unbiased you would also recall several games where Ben helped win a game late with put back rebounds... tip outs for second chances... late game steals, blocks etc.
    Gotta think beyond your bias.
  6. max

max All-Star

:brick:

Its going to be interesting to see how Skiles deals with Bens vision of being part of the offense. Two years ago we used to talk about how the offense needed improvements.
  7. Pwn Toney

True, but contrary to popular belief, that didn't just consist of Ben shooting the ball all game long. LB made Ben part of the offense, but you would be hard pressed to say that he was a ball hog who shot the ball everytime he touched it.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Here is some food for thought.

2004 Season - 9.8 FGA per game, FG% 42.1
    2005 Season - 9.7 FGA per game, FG% 45.3
    2006 Season - 6.4 FGA per game, FG% 51.0

2004 Playoffs - 8.9 FGA per game, FG% 45.3
    2005 Playoffs - 8.4 FGA per game, FG% 47.8
    2006 Playoffs - 3.9 FGA per game, FG% 46.4

Playoff FTs

2004 - 50/117, 5.1 FTA per game, FT% 42.7
    2005 - 47/102, 4.1 FTA per game, FT% 46.0
    2006 - 18/66, 3.7 FTA per game, FT% 27.0

Draw your own conclusions....
  9. bball jay

nope. that system would produce what we are witnessing right now. a # 2 pick that is dropping those jumpers now. he's posting up now. he's rebounding now. he's dominating now. he's carrying his team now. that system would have had that 7 footer who is only getting bigger starting for us next year. the other system has us ending up with neither one and only a draft pick to show for it.
  10. bball jay

i did point that out. that's the point of my "so yes ben can make some 4th quarter plays but he can also kill us with his free throw shooting." statement. it acknowledged that ben can help us win with 4th quarter plays.
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

For someone standing under the rim shouldn't these numbers be in the 60% ?
  12. Pwn Toney

The words "dominating" and "Darko" will only be used in the NBA to describe the opposing team's success.
  13. Pwn Toney

Possibly, but Ben hardly has a reputation for just "standing under the rim"

What's these number show is that given the opportunity to contribute at both end of the floor, the team enjoyed greater success than when he is frozen out of the gameplan.
  14. bball jay

but that's because ben gave half effort if he didn't get his shots. i think if ben would have accepted his dpoy role and put his all into that we would have still been just as successful.

yeah ok. just wait until he plays your bulls with ben as part of the offense. lol ben getting the rock often will only make darko look good.
  15. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Wow for all the ranting and raving about how HORRIBLE Ben's free throw shooting is, it hardly matters. The Pistons game plan can hardly have been resting on 4-5 free throw attempts of Bens. Even if he misses all 5 of them, I wouldn't call it a crisis for a team that's on track. You don't think the rest of what he did more than makes up for 4 missed free throws?

You gotta dance with them what brung ya.

All this revisionist history about Ben must end.
  16. Pwn Toney

:doh:

Ooooooh, I get it...you HATE Ben Wallace! Man oh man, I'm a lil slow sometimes...my fault guys.

I guess you'll be warning me that Kwame Brown, Joe Smith, Glenn Robinson, and Sam Bowie will be taking their rightful place in the patheon of NBA powerhouses pretty soon as well. Get ready NBA!
  17. bball jay

stats don't tell the whole story. ben not being effective on the offensive end really hurts us. that's just honest. teams figured out how to defend the rest of the team by simply not checking ben. his inability to hit a free throw caused him to basically not be able to play in the miami series because riley was smart enough to go at him. so no the other things he does did not make up for his lack of free throw shooting ability. he wasn't good on the defensive end in the miami series either. so when he isn't dominant defensively what good is he??

if ben is so good why did two teams in a row choose him as our weak link to go after?? it's not just me that thinks he's a weak link it's riley too.
  18. max

max All-Star

Scoring did improve. A lot of jump shots but that is the makeup of our team. On my original comment, part of our problem was Ben not wanting to be a team player at times.

What can you do? You can either sit around and stew about it or try to move on and enjoy the team that we do have.
  19. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

There's some quote about insanity being when you keep doing the same dumb thing over and over, because you think you'll finally get a different result. The Pistons are going insane.

Flip has never been successful in the post season with his system, only in the regular season, yet he thinks it will work some day.

Pistons think aging vets that have "proven" themselves are the way to go, we won with Okur, Tay, and Mike James. Since we brought in Dice, then Darvin, then Mo Evans, zero.

Players have to prove themselves before you let them play. Worst MYTH ever. Players need PT to prove themselves, look at Delfino and Darko yesterday. Darko leads a young Serb team against a vastly superior Argentinian team, goes for 24 and 12, and almost pulls it off. Delfino scores 11 in the final quarter to help Argentina avoid the upset. Yet, neither of these players could get off the bench in Detroit. At some point, ability has to beat out how well you can suck up to the coach in determining playing time.

Cause at this rate, the only thing that will change next year will be CD's pt, only because Flip will have no choice, but this zone crap? Comeon, Delfino played great D against Wade and Lebron, forcing the ref's to call some charges, because it was becoming too blatant. Evan Evans improved his D, when he stopped playing matador D, and got up in his man's face, a la Lindsey Hunter.

It's time the Pistons start watching what does and doesn't work, instead of insisting they know what does, even if it hasn't in the last 3 years.
  20. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I agree with players need PT to prove themselves, however, PT on the international level doesn`t cut it with me.

Don`t misunderstand me, I am not dissing Darko or Delfino, I wish them both the best especially Delfino since he is still a Piston.

I think we all agree the NBA is a different animal than Delfino playing against the Serbs and Darko vs the Argentines.

The bottom line is; they both should see enough playing time this upcoming year to form an opinion on their success at the NBA level.

If Flip employs this so called system of his with the pressing defense and wide open offensive game, Delfino would be a perfect fit. As for Darko in Orlando, will he be starting this year???