Flip Sheed's Technicals

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Feb 27, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm wondering if Flip should be going to bat for Sheed, eating up some of those techs...

It usually takes Sheed a while to get T'd up, most refs give him a lot of leeway. That would be the perfect opportunity for Sidney Lowe or Flip to fall on the sword and take a tech for him.

The sad reality is that Sheed is going to break the streak of same starters playing consecutive games with his possible flagrant penalty (2/26), and if not on the flagrant, then definitely via overall technical count.

[​IMG]

I don't care about the streak, but I do care about our second best defender and 3rd scorer missing time. Particularly now. This is the stretch run and home court is still undecided.

You can't change Sheed too much, but I really think the coaches have an obligation to make sure Sheed is available until the final week (I think earning homecourt will be that tight).
  2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

i don't remember but flip got a tech either yesterday or on friday at chicago. what sucks about this rule is that after you are suspended for a game you'll keep getting suspended for every other technical after that as well. rasheed just has to take his anger out on the opponent while playing basketball instead of the reff. it's esier said than done because it's tough not to argue when a call doesn't go your way, but i would like rasheed to take all that anger to the opponent instead of the refs. i think we might see flip, chauncey, ben, rip, and even tay get techs. i think they'll do the talking from now on because you saw rip get techs, flip get techs, tay get techs, and ben get a tech as well in the last 2 games. rasheed only had the flagrant tech.
  3. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

are y'all sure that sheed's flagrant foul on z counts as a tech?

the only techs listed on nba.com's box score for the game are flip, tay, and mike brown.
  4. roscoe36

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yeah, but Micro's point is valid. There is absolutely no reason Flip shouldn't be eating those techs for him.

Even if there are fines, it seems like he could work something out with Mr. D in advance.

It seems stupid to me that some of these Techs assessed to Sheed could have been prevented and were not. Yeah, it's Sheeds own fault for losing his cool, but he usually does it because he believes it benefits his team when he feels they are getting the short end. I don't know what Flip is thinking when he stands there and watches it (Duh, gee...I wonder if he'll get away with it...oh my, he shouldn't have said that...that ref looks mad...it's not looking good...I hope Sheed settles down...uh oh, the ref is about to call a tech...well, darn...)

Wake up Flip!!!! Do your job. Protect your players (from themselves).
  7. LA Sam

LA Sam Second Round Draft Pick

That's one of the things I though LB did pretty good, getting between Sheed and the Refs, and taking one for the team.

Even so, Sheed needs to be more aware, or he's going to end up like Spewell, and not be able to feed his family.
  8. roscoe36

Sheed and his family can eat at my house. We have pizza 3 times a week. Sure to be a hit with the kids. ;)
  9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Here is your answer Micro: (It's Flips Mom''s fault):doh:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Tensions nearly boiled over when Ilgauskas pushed Rasheed Wallace to the floor with 5:47 to play in the second period. Wallace got up laughing and both got technicals. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] A few plays later, Wallace chuckled at officials again for whistling him on James' driving layup. The Detroit player held his jersey out so the officials could see his number and smiled. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Pistons coach Flip Saunders was unhappy with the officiating, but didn't join his team in getting a technical. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "My mom told me before the game whatever you do don't get a technical," said Saunders, a native of suburban Cuyahoga Heights, whose parents were in the crowd. "The way things were going in the first half I really had to bite my lip." [/FONT]
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

maybe he won't even be able to feed himself too.