Flip

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Say what you want about Flips coaching but man, I am sick to death of his rhetoric. Case in point: Delfino's playing time. "With opportunity comes responsibility." and earning playing time since its not given. However, things will change this year because the starters can lose their minutes too. What about opportunity and responsibility for the starters last year? If they will be accountable this year, what does that say about last year.

and to think, I used to like his media friendly soundbytes.

2. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

I get pissed almost every time I have to hear him speak. It's just so wrong that he has anything to do with our franchise.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think Flip is the man. Flip for "Coach of the Year". Yeah, Flip!

:dancingparty:

4. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

How does the old saying goes; We have to Play with The Hand that We are Dealt. The worst thing I absolutely hate about Flip is that abnoxious Tic.

I like our team a whole lot better than Flip, but also think that Flip is a pretty decent coach expecially if the assistants he is surrounded by are good.

I think Terry Porter was brought in as the man to look at during the season. If Flip falls, Terry will jump right into that coaching gig.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Relating to Slippy's post, the one thing is that there isn't anything really wrong with Flip.

In fact, if one steps away from nit-picking and looking for escapegoats, he's definitely a top 15 coach.

Perhaps I have been spoiled, but my one complaint is that he is not brilliant. He doesn't say anything that makes you go, "hmmmmm". He doesn't show any emotion either anger, joy or regret.

He's like a really good employee. And while he's super solid at his job, it is never more than a job to him. You just don't get the vibe that his competitive drive is to be a champion and a hall of famer.

Like I said, maybe we've been spoiled with Daddy Rich and LB4LB

6. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

my sentiments exactly.

7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

What was Flip supposed to say "Well Carlos will play as many minutes as he likes"... why not challange his players to play well?
    He'll get his chance... relax

8. Prophecy Revealed

Prophecy Revealed First Round Draft Pick

I agree, any player worth his weight wants to start so make'em earn the minutes.

9. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i agree on earning minutes if oppurtunity to earn them is given by the coach. the pistons company line has been earn minutes for years now. the problem is nobody has been able to "earn" them that isn't already a starter. the starters earned 38 minutes.

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

On the references to Ben... he did say positives about Ben along with he will be missed for sure.
    What Flip might have said to keep posters happy "Ok guys gather round, we're basically gonna suck on defense this year without Ben so get used to it... no hope whatesoever... ya'll on the same page... great now lets go out there with no chance on D"

11. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Iwas watching a video on Ben and he definetly wasnt the monster taht he was three years ago. But what he brings to this lineup is simlilar to what Shaq is doing in Miami. Its just goos having him around. The key to the season is this: Chauncey Billups/CASE CLOSED! He has to have a champion's attitude. He has to take games in his hands and not let this team lose. Flip will give him evry opportunity to be a top5 MVP candidate. By the way, Flip...take this :gun1:for losing to Cavs and Heat last year !!!

12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Did the Pistons lose to the Cavs last year? I must have missed that series.

13. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yep, he isn't Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, or even Larry Brown or whatshisname in San Antonio. But I find it hard not to put him into the second tier.

He says he's going to step out of the shell he was in last year and I'm willing to give him the chance to do that.

Popovich, Popovich.

14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Gezundheit.

15. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I'm sorry you missed it. Here's a quick summary. The Pistons, after winning 64 games and sending four players and a coach to the All-Star game, lost three straight to a Cavs team that had basically no playoff experience, and as a result they barely got out of the second round. It sucked.

16. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Did he really, Merc? :sssh: I missed that. Most of the soundbites, comments I've heard have been him talking about Ben's inadequacies on offense and unwillingness to support his proposed zone defense. Was this when Ben's departure was first announced?

17. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

That's pretty accurate...:MusicBigGrin:

18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Detroit News two days ago:
    "Everybody knows what Ben did for this organization," coach Flip Saunders said. "He was a great player, a good teammate and there is no question he will be missed. But the rest of these guys here have been traded before, or cut and kicked around this league. They've gone through it. They understand it. They will move on."

These oversights often happen when there's a predisposition to hate someone.

19. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

flip's rhetoric > LB's monotone > carlisle's "charisma"

20. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

bY WEARING OURSELVES OUT, and going 7 games to those idiots, yeah we lost, because that contributed to our Game 1 loss to Heat. Cmon, Laimb , u know me better than that....:rolleyes: