Flip

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Oct 3, 2006.

1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

THANK U, lurk!
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm sorry my dear friend, but LB's monotone drone was quite possibly the greatest voice on Detroit Sports radio.

The way he would lull you to sleep, while whispering that he knew where Jimmy Hoffa is buried.

The man knew how to work a microphone, and he knew how to push buttons, tease and mock.

The sound of his voice lacked emotion, the message was a hurricane of rage and arrogance.
  3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

...or when you haven't read an article in 3 days. lol.

Ouch Merc, I thought we were boys. lol.

For the record, I don't hate Flip. I just don't like him as coach for our team. I wasn't a fan of his prior to his hiring here in Detroit and I've struggled with him since the team's inability to defend like I had grown to love was exposed in the bottom 1/3 of the regular season through the playoffs.
  4. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

just say it. the man was duller than a drawer full of plastic knives.

"I love Pop...................................i was the best man at his wedding....................we couldn't have defended any better...........my dream job.........zzzzzZZZZzzzzzzzzZZZZz"

he did have a good sounding radio voice, though. his best interview was when he scolded Stony and Wojo on air.

"now, do i have to say anything else, Wojo?"
  5. Prophecy Revealed

Prophecy Revealed First Round Draft Pick

YOU SAID IT ALL.
  6. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

For the record, I do hate Flip. Viscerally. Maybe we have been spoiled by Daly and LB, but it just is so wrong to see him fill those shoes. Everybody's got a right to their own opinion, but if you've been a fan of this franchise for anything more than just a few years, I feel like you should have learned the appropriate basketball lessons that make Fliphating only natural. Watching Flip coach our team was sort of the same feeling one should feel when getting in a car driven by a kid who got his license last week.

It's understandable that mistakes happen. Flip might be a good coach for a midlevel team, perhaps one trying to go from lottery to playoffs. But not for a contender. He's not able. It would be cathartic to see him turfed out ASAP, and I'd support that. But, really and truly, there aren't many elite coaches out there, and they don't often tend to take jobs with teams that aren't contenders. So I guess I don't mind Flip as caretaker for another season, until Joe presumably remakes the roster and gets us back in the game.
  7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I hate flip but I believe that he is learning. If he can coach this team to a title then I don't mind it being done his way. Personally, I am finding the team a little boring. Slowly fading away is the blue collar identity that characterizes the successful detroit teams.
    Flip really understands movement during the game of basketball. I only wish he expressed the same amount of passion with other aspects like rebounding and defense. If Flip learns to manage the egos and learns to coach a championship team (its more a marathon than a dash), I'll grit my teeth at all the stupid things he says and be happy with it.
  8. roscoe36

I've been the uber passionate fan in the past, but as I get older, it seems that I am developing a longer view.

If the Pistons won a title scoring like the Suns, would we say that title dioesn't count because it wasn't done "Detroit" style?

I don't think Flip is a special coach. I believe he is a very good coach particularly at offensive Xs and Os. Besides the neck wrenching, he just doesn't seem to have that unique character angle or personality defect that frequently is associated with greatness.

I think this is why Cowens and Porter were brought on. Two veteran former head coaches couldn't have been cheap (and Flip is already paid very well). Perhaps Joe's approach to lack of a superstar coach is to tackle the problem by having a lot of depth.
  9. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

thank you roscoe for creating a protective shield around those of us who might have gotten worried -- on account of hack's post -- that we weren't "real" pistons fans because we hadn't managed to drum up sufficient hatred of flip saunders.
  10. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

However, in line with Ben's "paper" DPOY, those were "paper" compliments.
  11. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

My sentiments exactly, but you know Ben would not want to sit as much as Shaq.

Ps. Welcome back, where have you been all summer? Hibernating so you can get ready to give me He..on Pistons chat line this season.
  12. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Flip haters. Do you think Flip is responsible for global warming? Is he responsible for all D Wades trips to the line? First you say Flip was wimpy and Ben didn't respect him. Then you say Flip was too mean to Ben and because Ben didn't always get his own way that Flip forced him to leave. Which is it ??? Do you hate Flip for not calling the shots? Or do you hate him for making the decision to take Ben off the floor???? Poor Ben and his 60 million dollars. Perhaps the forum members who think Ben is the second coming, should start a Ben Wallace mental health fund to make him feel better. like call 1 800 cry baby! or 1 800 me first! Perhaps you can collect another 5 or 10 million for Ben to make him quit whining. I for one am going to support the Pistons team and the Pistons organization. And remember TEAMS win titles not individuals.
  13. roscoe36

I hope #1 remembers this when he is telling everyone he should be the MVP...
  14. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I find it very interesting that you would quote Jerry Krause, who thought it would be a smart idea to blow up the Bulls when their window for a title was still wide open.

I haven't heard anyone say that Flip was "mean" to Ben. Ben's problem with Flip centered around the way he was running the team. The anti-Ben crowd is trying to portray Ben as someone who only cares about himself and not about winning another title, which is nonsense. Ben has done more for the Pistons than any single player since the Bad Boys era.
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I thought it was interesting that in the 4 meetings that Ben and Flip had that the first thing Ben wanted to talk about in all 4 meetings was getting himself more involved in the offense.
  16. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I reacall the 1st meeting was after an eight game winning streak, and the conversation was about defense.

Am I mistaken??
  17. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

This is the part of the story where Flip and Ben have two different versions.
  18. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

exactly. everything was going good and the malcontent wanted more emphasis on defense. guess whose specialty is defense???

ego, ego, ego.
  19. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Or, maybe it could have been Ben saw a problem down the line from the lack of good D????

If I remember this 1st meeting about defense was last November, that`s kind of early for the malcontent label isn`t it?
  20. linwood

linwood All-Star

The Pistons should have placed a greater emphasis on defense.

Smart, smart, smart.