Fo-Square n Oh!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by wfhutchi, Apr 14, 2006.

?

Will the Pistons go 16-0 in the Playoff?

Poll closed Apr 24, 2006.
  1. Yes, The Pistons will make history

9.1%
  2. No, But the Pistons will win the NBA Championship

90.9%
  3. No because they will not win the NBA Championship

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. wfhutchi

wfhutchi Second Round Draft Pick

16-0 in the NBA Plyoffs. It has never been done in the Playoffs before.

When Moses Malone was with the 76ers, he coined the phrase, "Fo, Fo, Fo". In other words, he felt his 76ers could win the NBA Championship without a single loss. But it did not happen.

The 89-90 Pistons thought they could do it. But they failed! The Bulls tried, But they failed also.

I believe these Pistons can go 16-0. I call it, "Fo-Square n Oh!"

Who believe the Pistons can do it?

WHY?
    1. The Pistons are an excellant road team.
    2. Players on the other teams know the Pistons are the best team.
    3. Other teams have started lining up excuses why the Pistons beat them by claiming injury to key players.
    4. Many sports writers are going out of their way to name someone else other than Chancey as MVP, Ben as Defensive Player of the Yeay, Dycess as 6th man, and Prince as most inproved.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It would be great but I don't think it is possible. There is a reason that it has never been done before. A 16 game winning streak against playoff caliber opponents which each successive round bringing a tougher opponent and more fatigue.

Plus these guys just flat out play some stinkers and let teams hang around. The one thing missing with this squad and might keep it from being back to back champs is a killer instinct.
  3. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

I think they win the championship (of course! :)), but I can't see them doing it without a loss.

The most dominant playoff team I've ever seen was the '01 Lakers, who went 15-1. Their only loss was in overtime, in the Finals. That team was an absolute demolition machine and totally focused.

At our best, we are frighteningly good too, but I have never seen these Pistons as focused for as long as the '01 Lakers were. Sometimes we have a "down" game, and then we flip a switch and come back stronger than ever. In fact, we often seem at our best when faced with a little adversity (e.g. being down to both Miami and S.A. last year).

16-0 is just not going to happen. But as long as we win, I couldn't care less!
  4. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

16-4 sound good? 4-0, 4-1, 4-1, 4-2?
  5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

If BBen maintains sargent at arms---16 and 0. The only thing that could get us is a travel day, schedeluling, you know, flight times and jet lag.
  6. linwood

linwood All-Star

Not very likely. I think these Pistons like the drama as much as I do, and will take some games off.

I expect a sweep in first round, and 2 or maybe even 3 in the second round, and 2 in the 3rd, and 2 in the Finals.

16-7.
  7. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

all i care about is 16-12! The one that counts is 16!
  8. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

That team was very good, however the team that coined the "Fo, Fo, Fo" phrase was pretty damn good too.

Moses Malone, Dr J, and Andrew Toney nearly averaged 20ppg in 1983 and went 65-17 in the regular season and 12-1 in the playoffs.

They may have been one of the first lock down defensive teams in the NBA featuring Mo Cheeks, Bobby Jones, Moses and Dr. J.

To answer the question, yes I think they could go 16-0, however, our Pistons are bound to get bored and drop a couple.
  9. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

Indeed they were good, but I don't remember them nearly as well, unfortunately.

Something that set that team apart from the '01 Lakers was that they were so strong throughout the season. The time for the Sixers had come; they had been in the Finals three times in recent years, without winning, and now with Moses Malone it seemed inevitable they would win it all.

The '01 Lakers were so up-and-down in the regular season, they looked bored, Shaq and Kobe were sniping at eachother etc. They didn't look good at all, winning 11 less games than the year before, but then they "flipped the switch" when the playoffs came. (And they were all-conquering; I'm still shocked by how they utterly annihilated the Spurs in the Conference Finals.) Anyway, most teams can't simply turn it on (and keep it on) the way those Lakers did. Our Pistons certainly can't, as much as I love 'em.
  10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No chance we go 16 and 0. A 16 game winning streak is hard enough in the regular season, but like Micro said, in the playoffs you don't have the benefit of a gimme game against an Atlanta, NY or Charlotte.

Both teams also have the same amount of rest, so you won't be catching teams on back to backs either.
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Don't forget about travel days Jamm.
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Well WTFHUCHI, we should have known the Ps would take some games off. They'll probably take 1 game off each series.