Former NBA ref blasts officiating

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Aug 17, 2007.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    FORMER NBA REF BLASTS OFFICIATING | By FRED KERBER | Sports News | Scores | Results
  2. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Finally I feel some vindication and Stern has to answer to this...and not with some stock "our officials, in our opinion, do a great job..." line of crap.
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

It's about time this came out. Their are so many bad calls that none of this surprises me.
  4. max

max All-Star

Nice find Mikhail. I enjoyed reading it.

Still curious to see what if anything will change.
  5. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Stern will take his cue from Major League Baseball. They'll just ignore the scandal and hope it goes away...........Same as the problem with steroids..............
  6. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

On the whole, there is nothing better. Granted, you need better oversight on training issues and some tight critiques from third party overseers, but you have the best there is.

What many fail to understand is that they are an isolated group. A group that (from the ground level) sees, hears and eventually must act in micro-seconds. The corollary to this profession are the law officials on the beat. Everyone hates them and they see, feel and internalize what most prefer not too see or acknowledge.

Want proof on how bad it could be? Remember the substitutions during the last ref walkout?

Stern is not helping himself thinking that the flaw is isolated. It is to some extend, but because of ideological concentrations within the media, they will now not leave a stone unturned. He needs to develop an oversight (third party) structure and admit we are dealing with human beings that also are part of the media circus (of which he delights in being part of). He has to move fast on this, since repercussions will be leaking out and it's all defensiveness after that. It may get ugly and more involved with the game's integrity. Not a pretty sight too see.
  7. max

max All-Star

They can do better.

I am more sensitive now that we have Sheed. Watching the variation in calls that he gets depending on which refs are working the game. Bias to Players and Teams is real as well as the SuperStar calls.

I would rather struggle through rookie refs as long as they are clean than deal with all the old beefs and grudges out there. Refs are some of the most unforgiving sorts.
  8. mikhail1973

Lots of truth to what you've said. The techs on Sheed, the calls he never gets on the offensive end. People wonder why he's not playing the post game as much. When defense has an open license to hack without fouling what else would you expect him to do? The superstar calls. The D-Wade ref rules. It all has to go. I agree, let the younger refs make their mistakes that don't favor any of the teams playing.
  9. pass99

Good heavens, no! Rookie refs are terribly inconsistent and this is the last thing you want. All most all professional players (3 years plus) know how to adjust to the vet refs. There are books on refs and how you must stay away or how you must play them (go ask Cuban).

This is not to say that certain refs are easily grated by certain personality types. They tighten up their act in the fourth quarter and give a great deal of leeway in not letting the whistle determine the outcome. Unfortunately the game is being extremely extended and an intense concentration on strategy is being played out in the last 30 seconds. I marvel at times just how closely in-tuned the refs are in this last few seconds....right down to the adding or subtracting points on the second clock. Be honest now, could you follow the game (while on the court) that closely?

Sheed is a child...and he refuses to make any adjustments unless of course it has repercussions in suspensions. The refs could tag Sheed at least 3-5 per game with technicals. Go figure.
  10. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm so glad this long- awaited debate is finally starting. It's more than obvious that superstars are getting calls average players would never get.
    It sucks to see all the travelling, pushing and shoving happening without calls just because of the name a player has. I hope it will become better now that there actually seems to be a discussion about that.
  11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm sorry folks, but to think that Stern is going to allow this gambling thing to become an overall referendum on the referees (cute, no?) is a pipe dream. This is going to end up being about one bad guy gambling when he shouldn't have, and the NBA will control the spin enough to make it only about that. Put away those brooms away, this witch-hunt is over.
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

dba, you're so cynical of totalitarian corporate imperialism. :MusicBigGrin:
  13. dba

I'm a tool of TCI.

Hmmm, could be the title of The Low's next song.
  14. pass99

Do be naive (or so intellectually cynical)...it's just beginning. This is going to spread. Having a lawyer, or a group of lawyers (typical Stern and bringing slightly higher level thinking above those mentally challenged owners) is not the answer. He needs to bring a third party oversight group and training (using the latest technology) to buy time until the season starts so it is in place and reasonably functional.

Have you noticed how silent the union is about this? No thinking go on there.
  15. max

max All-Star

It looked like it was heading in that direction and I am sure Stern would love to do that.

With the latest developments that Donaghe could predict the outcome of games based on who the refs were and that as many as 20 refs are active gambles will force the situation. And its only getting started.
  16. dba

If I were a betting man...
  17. mikhail1973

I wonder if Stern going to do what he did to Phoenix in the playoffs enforcing the rules of the engagement. If those refs gambled, they have to be let go or suspended. Is he really going to do that?
  18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Those refs should get the same treatment as Donaghy.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

There is a huge difference between fixing games and playing a little blackjack on the side.
  20. mikhail1973

Is there a big difference between getting off the bench and getting involved in a fight and jumping up to see the condition of your possibly injured teammate?