Important Forum Fundraiser 2013

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Nov 19, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Please read this entire post. I know it is long, but I feel the information is important.

As I mentioned in the thread regarding my health, I want to address the situation with forum finances, and its heavy dependence on me.

The History of PF Money

Since the start of the forum, I have tried my best to shoulder the direct financial costs of running the forum. We have run ads in places where no one really saw them during good times, and in 2009 when faced with an expensive server emergency, we did a very successful fundraiser.

Since then, I have avoided monetizing the forum. This has been deliberate as I have a ton of experience in the digital advertising space, and sports forums are notoriously hard to monetize. That and any monetization I did was probably going to force me to shove ads into users' faces which makes everyone unhappy, makes the forum ugly, etc.

I thought I had found a good compromise with a very high end ad agency, however after spending a month trying to get into their inventory, they declined us, as stated niche sports sites are very low demand for advertising capacity.

I don't want to hand off a large expense to one of the other admins (in addition to the labor time investment) and so we're going to do a fundraising drive as we transition some advertising on the forum.

Donations

I'd like to raise money via donations to get us some runway (money for future expenses) that we'll invest into upgrading our licenses and buying hosting in advance. This will give me time to try to tweak the advertising on the forum to find a happy medium where users aren't put out, and we can still make a little revenue to pay bills.

If for some reason I become unavailable, whichever admin or combination of admins that take over won't have to immediately take on the expense of running the forum out of their pockets.

Current Expenses

Our annual forum expenses are approx $600 for hosting, and between $100 and $200 for domain renewal fees, and software license updates. Almost $800 per year or $65 a month.

What did we raise in 2009?

We had a pretty amazing turnout in 2009, and raised about $600 with 16 donors, of which 4 were angels and made pretty hefty donations (slippy, armygirl, Woody and pass99)

Respect for Donors

I will explain more in another post, but everyone who donated in 2009 now has a tag on their profile.

[​IMG]

That tag acknowledges them to the forum as someone who has done a good thing for the entire enterprise. If you think you should have received a tag and you didn't, start a conversation with me.

Important!
    Donors from 2009, this fundraising drive in 2013 and any time in the future will not see any ads.
    *I don't know if I can promise this with Tapatalk, they desperately want to put ads in their app and we (forum owners) have been pushing back for several weeks now, but I think their business model demands they do it so ...

What if I can't afford to donate?

Please don't donate if money is tight. I appreciate everything anyone wants to contribute, but I will feel bad if you're sending the forum $20 that you really need for gas or rent. We'll find a way to make do without you having to eat bread and butter sandwiches. I promise.

That said, if you can afford to give, and forgive me for being a bit shameless, then please do. It would be a big help getting things shored up for the future, and I would personally appreciate it.

If you want to help the forum besides donating, we always need people to
    • Click the Like button on other posts you appreciate
    • Recruit good people to join our community

What if I donated in 2009?

The way I have the system setup now, people can donate as often as they want, in a bunch of different amounts. So if you donated in 2009 and you want to donate again, please do so.

With the system in place now, people can just donate when they want to without having to go through me.

What if I want to donate by mail?

Start a Conversation with me and I will give you a postal address to send mail to.

Ok, How to Donate?

Click the Donations link at the top of the forum.

[​IMG]

This will take you to a page that looks like this

[​IMG]

Choose an amount, and you will be taken to PayPal to make payment.

If you want to donate a different amount than what is listed, please start a conversation with me.

If you have any questions, concerns, etc post them to the thread, and I will do my best to answer them.

I will probably promote the fundraiser for a couple weeks with the possibility of doing it until Christmas. We will see how the response is and go from there.

Thanks for reading this far.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    jammertime likes this.
  2. roscoe36

I wanted to say something about the 2009 Donors. I am sorry you guys didn't get recognized until now. I was actually testing out the banners 2 months ago, Bill Laimbeer caught me working on them.

When we did the donation drive in 2009, we had some bad personalities around, and I was worried that they would donate, and then use that as a club to beat up on other people on the forum, and I would feel awkward about intervening because they had given the forum money. So the actual donors in 2009 were only ever known to me, and never acknowledged on the forum as they should have been.

I don't know if I made the right call at the time. I just know that you guys who helped out in 2009 are awesome, and I have many times thought about how cool it was you came to the forum's rescue in its hour of need.

At the end of the drive there was one guy who didn't donate, and was trying to beat up one of the other donors (who has never been a problem here) and I tossed the problem member from the forum for good. Over the years, I have learned that it is better to just toss people who are anti-social than to try to work them into the group, or to show them the benefits of an atmosphere based around "be nice". Everyone here, to a man, including TFD who likes to yank my chain, and Lee, who I have at times had a contentious relationship, is a good person.

I am happy you are all here. Blessed actually.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    Pwn Toney and jammertime like this.
  3. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

It popped up a new account information box instead.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

A fundraising auction would be fun. I could contribute my middleton bobblehead or my teal dumards jersey.
    kpaav and coynejeremy like this.
  5. roscoe36

On this site or on Paypal?

I know stuff like that is fun, but I don't have the time to do stuff like that. If someone would like to step up and do so, let me know and I will provide whatever support I can.
  6. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

The link worked perfectly and sent me to my PayPal. I am glad you have given us an opportunity to contribute as I get so much out of this forum. Being constantly on the move and living in so many places this is my only outlet to connect to Pistons fans on a regular basis. Thus, I want to take this moment to say thank you to Roscoe. I am not the most frequent poster, but have been on board since 2005 and saw first hand the transition from DetNews to here. All I can say is well done. I am an internet junkie and haven't seen another online community as informative, user content driven and completely devoid of "trolls."
  7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

+1 to what kpaav said. I don't think there's any sports forum out there with such a sophisticated set of members. Great place to be, an absolute joy to follow, and did I say great people? Thanks to Roscoe for all your efforts, and all the other admins and moderators for making this place what it is.

The only problem I have is the little voices in my head that comes with the forum. I keep trying to concentrate on work, but I keep hearing my "them" whisper "go on...check the forum...Lee probably just posted another rotation...KGREG probably found another funny way to blast Jennings...Nemo probably has another awesome avatar..."
    Nemo and roscoe36 like this.
  8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I got that too. It's on the PF.com site, not paypal. It's almost like you've not logged on. I clicked on the sign in and put my username/password and then it worked.
  9. roscoe36

Also, thanks to the 5 folks who donated already. You're all princes.
  10. roscoe36

I know why that is happening, there is no easy way to fix it right now. Please just login again as that's probably the fastest way around it.

Also, 7 donors now. Thanks guys.
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree. Walter is a princess.
    linwood and Walter like this.
  12. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I just gave up cheeseburgers for awhile.....nothing important.
    Thanks for allowing us to help.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  13. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Not a lot but I hope it helps :)

Thanks Roscoe
    roscoe36 likes this.
  14. roscoe36

It's pretty cool to see all the donor tags tbh.
  15. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Totally worth the money. I spend a lot of time here and this is a good forum. Best of luck in your drive, Roscoe!
    TheeTFD and roscoe36 like this.
  16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

lurking
    roscoe36 likes this.
  17. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

I love this forum, there's a lot of intelligent members here and I love how we can talk about basketball without all the bickering that I've seen from other forums.

Is there any way I can make a donation via pay pal?
    roscoe36 likes this.
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You had me at hello....$
    kpaav and roscoe36 like this.
  19. roscoe36

Just follow the instructions above and you will be taken to Paypal.

:)
  20. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

transaction completed. Btw, the euro-dollars exchange rate is pretty good right now, I should travel to the US sometime soon!