Forward Delfino drops like a stone on the Toronto Raptors' depth chart

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

May be a little simplistic but maybe he just needed the coach to tell him face to face and in no uncertain terms "be aggressive and look to score; you are one of our best players".

Five things that stand out in that box score.
    He led the team in:
    Minutes (he needs about 25 minutes a game to be effective)
    Shots (when is the last time he took that many shots in a game?)
    Offensive Rebounds (which means he wasn't spotting up for the 3)
    Total Rebounds (bet he led a lot of fast breaks off the defensive end)
    and Points.

I would be curious to know who he was guarding on defense?

The more consistent minutes he plays the more consistent he will become.

2. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

The thing about Carlos that doesn't show up in the box score is always the intangibles. He's just a positive presence to have on your team, he gets along with his teammates and I think that Sheed really misses Fino. Carlos has said his favorite player growing up was Magic Johnson because of how happy and joyful he played. Sam Mitchell is just a grumpy guy and he has to learn that Carlos is not going to be playing pissed off or angry and his what me worry and laid back demeanor does not mean he's not playing hard. One of the main reasons that Colangelo went out and basically stole Delfino for two measly 2nd round picks is his winning attitude. Since playing professional ball Carlos has always been on winning teams and that's contagious. So I predict that Toronto will have as good a season as the Pistons if not better because of the Fino Factor.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Demeanor counts for a lot when you are trying to make an impression on a coach.

4. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Fino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:hoops:

5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Was Billups no good? Lots of teams passed on him. Oh, and Flip Saunders, that great talent evaluator, was the last guy to pass up on him - in Minny. The Pistons have made some very bad mistakes the past few years. (And the contract extension for Dyess is the latest.) Someone also said here that Dumars won't be drafting any Europeans anytime soon. Just maybe Dumars has become the problem. You got to draft the best players. Period. Copping attitudes on guys because of where they are from is loser mentality. Dumars did well to draft Delfino, and well to draft Darko. He should believe in himself, realized his choice of coaches is where his problem is, and just do better at that. Keep looking for the best players, wherever they might be.

6. buddahfan

It is my opinion that you need to find the best players that fit in with your team in more ways than one. At this point in time it appears to me that the Pistons brass is of the opinion that players with primarily an American basketball background fit in better with the team than players with primarily a European basketball background, regardless of where the player is actually from or were they were born.

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Oh well, you are getting dangerously close to someone wondering if you think they all need to be the same color as well. For team unity or something? Diversity wins. Not sameness. Carlos Delfino is an American, last I checked. Yes, Argentina is in the America's, not Europe. None of what happened has a darn thing to do with where anyone was from. Just a bad coach not knowing how to play the game, and not recognizing talent. Pure and simple. Its not where they are from, how they get along. None of that matters much. Its can they play the game. Delfino is one heck of a basketball player. People who can't recognize that are simply not very good basketball people. Note, Dumars drafted the guy. His coach would not play him. The blame lies with Flip, the guy who would not play him, not Dumars, the guy who drafted him in the first place.

PS, Arroyo, who many lump in the same category, was is an American too, from Puerto Rico. He even went to Temple, an American college.

8. buddahfan

I am a fan. I don't make these decisions on who is on the roster and who isn't.

This is just my opinion on what appears to be happening.

I have never even said I agree with what I think is happening.

I once created a thread that pointed out a simple fact and never commented on my initial post on the thread.

I offer no personal opinion on what appears to me is the situation regarding the basketball background on our individual players; i.e. primarily U.S.A trained as opposed to primarily European trained as to whether if this is the case it is good bad, incorrect or irrelevant as to the well being of the team.

Since players of all races come from both European and American basketball backgrounds one can't draw any conclusions regarding racial bias from the fact that all of the Pistons players are from a primarily U.S.A. basketball background.

The fact that all of our players at the current moment happen to be African American is just a fact.

I draw absolutely no conclusions regarding that fact with respect to my comments on European vs U.S.A. basketball background.

It is my opinion that if Joe D. had the opportunity to get a non African American player who would improve the team and his basketball background was from the U.S.A, Joe would acquire that player, on the other hand I believe that regardless of what race a player might be regardless of where he was from or where he was born if that player's basketball background was primarily European he wouldn't do it at this time.

He has done it in the past. Would he do it again in the future. I believe he would if he wanted the team to start playing a more European style game.

Larry Brown installed the American style game with us when he was here. As primary examples of this he tried to convert both Darko and Memet into low post back to basket players. To this day they are still primarily face to basket players which is the European style of play for most big men.

As I posted a number of times, over Brown's long career he gave significant playing time to only a handful of European players. This is because Brown is older and was raised on American basketball before European style was relevant in this country and he refused to change his approach to the game to accommodate the European style of play. The only European that ever played for him a significant number of years was Rik Smits, a center who had a post up game and played more like a U.S.A. trained player than a European trained player.

He was therefore more comfortable coaching players with a basketball background that fit in with his years of experience.

When Flip took over the team, he maintained what Brown instituted and that is why I believe that today the Pistons won't acquire a player with primarily a European basketball background unless Flip decides to change the teams playing style or Joe D. hires a coach who makes that change.

That is all there is to it.

Sorry if you have read other things into my posts and point of view on the subject that just don't exist.

9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i've noticed the removal of euros from the pistons (and think the african american thing is more coincidence), and i do think it's for a reason. i just think they don't fit in with our players.

lapeapod, i can guarantee sheed does not miss delfino.

honestly, i can't blame dumars if this is on purpose. delfino didn't even bother trying to learn the english language, so how is he supposed to communicate in practice and more importantly, meaningful games? that's a big part of basketball and now it's not an issue on this team.

10. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Well no use crying over spilt milk, Carlos left the Pistons because he wanted to play more minutes. With Detroit, Carlos was going to be Tay's primary back-up and that would net him 15 minutes a game which is not enough for Delfino who feels this year is his make or break year. I disagree respectfully with the poster who said that Carlos never bothered to learn English. In fact Delfino understands English and speaks it pretty well but he's so soft spoken and he has a heavy accent. Delfino is tri-lingual (Spanish, Italian and English) and when Darko was on the team he was even learning to speak a little Croatian to help him communicate with his teammate. In my viewpoint (and yes I'm a big fan of Carlos) his problem is he's way too unselfish a player and will always look to help his team and not pad his stats. There's a reason the Argentinian team did so well at the FIBA tournament, they play such a team game which boasts no superstars just players with all-around skills that do lots of things well. Hmmmm seems that was the Pistons best asset the year they won the championship, every night a different player could step up and lead in a statistical category.

Has Sheed been quoted on whether he misses his favorite bench toy Delfino? Here's a clip from Youtube that sort of indicates that Sheed liked playing with Fino and vice versa.

YouTube - Look at Sheed and Delfino!

I've got NBA League Pass so besides watching the Pistons this year I'll keep my eye on the Raptors because I'm interested in how Delfino pans out with them.

11. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

That's the problem. He's quite sucessful at this.

12. Delfino Delivers

13. Delfino Delivers

Lots of PT for Fino last night. Not many points (7 on 5 shots) but had 6 boards, 2 steals and 2 assists in 30 minutes. Maybe not dropping too much.

12 assists for T.J Ford. Wow.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Nobody on the Raptors had more rebounds than Delfino, who came in off the bench. That really is his forte.

15. buddahfan

I noticed that Big Ben had all of one defensive rebound last night in 38 minutes.

16. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Think he has only 6 total. That's bad...:doh:

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I watched that game, and he looked a little tired.

18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Perhaps you should compute his forte minute stats.

19. buddahfan

Tired in the first game of the year?

Maybe he is getting a bit long in the tooth.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If it wasn't totally nonsensical, I might try that.