Forward Delfino drops like a stone on the Toronto Raptors' depth chart

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Oct 23, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Heh Lambs hot did you get to be the Morning Monitor? When I was in school we always had a cute young lady teacher for morning monitor.

:hoops:

2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Delfino did get those boards, but he was in for 30 minutes and his stats are not really impressive. I am not going to make a judgement based on one game. One can look at this game in two ways - one is that he had solid numbers, didn't turn the ball over, got to the boards, but on the other hand for 30 minutes these numbers are not really impressive. I'd like to see more before I say something.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The surprising thing was that he got that much PT.

Does the coach like him or not?

4. mikhail1973

As I said, it is only one game. Maybe he'll get more confidence with all that playing time and produce at a higher rate? Only time will show.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm just referring to the title of this thread. He got about as much playing time as anyone on the team, so how far could have have possibly fallen in the coach's eyes.

6. mikhail1973

Gotcha.

7. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

these numbers are impressive for a glue guy. delfino's job is to do the little things. his numbers show that he did that. 7 points, 6 rebounds for a guard, 2 steals and 2 assists are great numbers. he's like the 8th option on offense so i would say his numbers are good.

8. max

max All-Star

Sure thing for the Hall of Fame someday.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The hall of fame is for hacks.

10. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

He lead the team in minutes again with 35. Not a bad stat line: 10 points on 4-9 shooting, 6 boards, 4 assists and 4 steals.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He'll do fine there. I think Delfino's has a starter's personality. He's unselfish and lets the game come to him on offense. It didn't work when he needed to make a quick difference off the bench. He seemed comfortable on the Arg team, so he can do it in Tor.

12. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

For the CD fans, he was impressive tonight. Impact on the game was a lot more than the stats with his ability to guard VC and RJ, though RJ pretty much abused everyone. Had one nice stretch where he stole the ball from VC, started the fast break, and then was rewarded with the dunk at the end.

What was interesting is how his game is so similar to Tay's. He even played point the last 5 minutes of the game.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The real story here is the ass whooping the Raptors put on the Nets, who still have the big 3.

37 point victory over a team with JKidd?

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Still some pretty good stats too. Lots of rebounds, steals, and assists. And ten points. And guarded their best players. Played more minutes for his team than anyone despite coming off the bench. Did you know that Delfino was over a plus 50 at one point in the game. How about that stat.

15. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Well, hopefully Delfino in Toronto and Hayes in Detroit will both have productive seasons and play significant roles for each of their teams.

And then the Pistons can administer a beat-down when they meet in the playoffs. :D

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Really?

17. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Sounds like he should be playing for the Pats and Belicheat.

:hoops:

18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

No, that was just a quick estimate. But he was a plus 41 from one point in the game to another. You can check the game log on that. (He was a minus 10 in another stretch, before the plus 41. I had not realized that he was in the game during that stretch when I made the estimate.)

19. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

I watched both the Raptors first two games and Delfino is definitely making a nice case for himself to play 25-30 minutes every night. In todays Toronto Star there was a nice article about Fino and Mitchell has come around to appreciating the stuff that Carlos brings every night that doesn't necessarily make the box score. Toronto goes 10 deep and they play very much like the Pistons used to play. If the Raptors could start playing some vicious defense they would be a handful because they are going to score 100 points every night with the talented outside shooters they have. Carlos would have been miserable on the Pistons this year so it's all for the best that he went to a team that plays with so many European players. The Pistons have Hayes who reminds me of a cross between Mo Evans and Carlos so Flipper seems pretty happy with his new player. I'm really hoping the Raptors and the Pistons meet each other in the playoffs it would make for an entertaining series.

20. mikhail1973

There are some really interesting points brought up here. Deflino's game being like Tay's. I think there are a few differences here. Tay can be offensive minded when he has to, Deflino seems to be picking his spots. Tay has a humongous height advantage and can guard any position other than center. I would restrict Delfino to 1-2-3. Maybe Delfino's confidence will grow with time he spends at Toronto, but at this point it is nowhere near the confidence with which Tay plays.
    As far as 100 points a game - we'll see how they do against better defensive teams. Detroit is not really offensive team and they put 116 on sorry Orlando defense. I think it is too early to make a prognostication like that.