Forward Delfino drops like a stone on the Toronto Raptors' depth chart

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Oct 23, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I think that the second unit will score a lot more this year than in the last two years.

Whether that will get us to 100 ppg we will have to wait and see, but I can see us getting a number of 110 point games this year against the defensively challenged teams, especially once Hot Rod returns and AJ starts getting some serious minutes; i.e., 15 a game or so in certain situations.

:hoops:

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm going to move this thread to the NBA Stuff forum. By all means continue the discussion.

3. buddahfan

Talk about moving threads could we consolidate all of those team preview threads under a thread called "NBA 2007-08 Team Previews".

1. The season has started
    2. It is a pain to have to wheel down to the more active NBA threads ever time you want to read or post to a non team preview thread, which will become more frequent than the preview threads as the season goes on.

P.S. I am not suggesting that the consolidated thread should not be a sticky, just that all of the team preview threads be consolidated under one thread.

4. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

even if delfino blossoms in toronto, i'd take jarvis over him any day.

5. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

just wait until we need jarvis to defensively when tay gets into foul trouble. delfino is just a much better defender than hayes. jarvis is a better spot up shooter that's it. he doesn't do anything else better than fino.

i cringe everytime i see jarvis dribble the ball.

6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Delfino only fit in my pre-conception as to what the Pistons should be. Jarvis is a better fit with the way the Pistons are now. This team IS a jump shooting team and Spellcheck and Arvis end up as nice periods to the end of a sentence. Swing swing swing jumper afflalo.

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I am going to wait before I say Delfino is a better defensively. Many times the way players around you play can change the way you play. The Wizards are a bottom 5 defensive team while the Pistons are a top 5.

8. buddahfan

Unless AA aka SpellCheck gets hurt I believe that he and not Hayes would take the tough defensive responsibilities at the #3 if Tay was not available.

9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I interrupt this line of thought to let you know what really matters. We gave Delfino away for nothing. It does not matter just who is better than who. What matters is whether or not Delfino is or is not a very good player. Me, I say he is, and we gave him away to Toronto for very little in return.

Which leads logically to Afflalo. Somebody decided to start Afflalo in the first two games. Just maybe somebody has tired of giving talented players away.

Whether Delfino is the perfect fit for the Pistons or not, we certainly should have played him a lot more last year. Then, if we decided to trade the guy, it would have been for a decent player in return, not two future 2nd round draft picks.

Now, with the important stuff said, I guess just to kill time I will give my opinion about whether Hayes fits the team better than Delfino. No. We will see that as the year goes on, and we see faster small forwards playing for the other team. Not to mention Hayes can't guards any shooting guards at all.

But wait, Afflalo seems to be a pretty solid defender, so at least we have someone who can guard shooting guards. And perhaps some quicker, but smaller, small forwards. And for the quicker tall ones, hey, we have Amir Johnson. Between the three players, we should be able to get by without Delfino.

10. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Lee, this really matters to you, not necessarily to the others here. And in case you have forgotten, here's a quick reminder: Amir was a second round pick.

Have a nice day.

11. buddahfan

I thought of that too, but I am not so sure that that is a good retort to Lee's point because AJ was the last high school player drafted. High school guys can no longer be drafted.

That means that it will be pretty rare, though it does happen, that a team is able to get someone with Delfino's ability with a middle to late second round pick because college guys rarely slip through the cracks. Though the odds of course of finding someone who will become pretty good goes up as your second round pick moves toward the top the second round. However, with the Raptors playing as well as they are and with a lot of pretty young talent it doesn't appear to me that our picks from them will amount to much of anything, probably on the level of Sammy Mejia, whose game ironically Lee likes .

It appears to me that Hayes is a far better fit for us than Delfino because our second unit since Flip has been here has had a big problem scoring. Delfino was a second unit luxury that we could not afford. #2 and #3 are usually your better scoring positions and Delfino was not carrying the load in that regard.

The Starters played so many minutes because if too many were taken out at once our offense came to grinding halt, even with Delfino on the court.

With Hayes that will happen a lot less as he can get his shot off pretty much as he pleases. The only problem there is he will have some games when his shooting is ice cold, but that happens with all players.

I like him better than Delfino because Hayes goes a long way toward making our second unit a viable offensive threat, which it was not when Delfino was here.

12. mikhail1973

There are other issues at hand. Pistons still need to incorporate AA, Hot Rod, and Amir into rotation. Pistons will have another first round pick and that player will need some playing time too. Delfino just wasn't meant to be here and with what he's shown it was nearly impossible to get more.

13. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i haven't seen anything to suggest that hayes is a poor defender, or any better or worse than delfino.

14. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

We gave up Delfino for 2 2nd round picks and acquired Hayes for a good price.
    Delfino. Hayes. Hayes. Delfino. I'm not going to get into who is better. The bottom line is that we got someone to play the same position...for the same price...roughly the same minutes...and 2 2nd round picks.

In Toronto, Delfino will have a different role. Its unfair to say that we could have used the Raptors Delfino this year because those opportunities are not here. We would have continued with mild mannered Pistons Delfino until his contract was up and he went elsewhere.

I'm totally happy with 2 2nds. Joe can't pick other GM's pockets and have Kander rub mango extract on their careers anymore. We're looking at a d-league/ international farm system with Samb, Amir, Acker and we would have done the same with fesenko if we could have gotten him.

15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Its too bad that you don't care about the team getting better, which won't happen too readily with the GM giving players away routinely. Sure, I hope this has stopped now, but me, I am going to be on the watch for more of this charity Dumars has been running. Its starts with not playing young talented players, and ends in trading them away for cap space reasons. That Afflalo got the two starts does help reassure me a bit at least that this charitible organization is in danger of going out of business. I will keep watching, being vigilant. I hope you will join in caring.

16. buddahfan

Sorry. I do not not understand your response at all. What does your response above have to do with your comment to Lee that AJ was a second round pick?

The way I understand your comment you were arguing Lee's point that we did not get anything for Delfino by saying that we got two second round picks for him and that AJ is a second round pick therefore we got a lot for Delfino and just didn't give him away.

I responded by disagreeing with your comment by saying that AJ was an exceptional find for a second round pick and most likely we won't be able to find anyone of his caliber with a future second round pick therefore we did give Delfino away for basically nothing.

Then we go out and replace him with Hayes and you retort that we gave Delfino away so that we could incorporate AJ, Hot Rod and AA into the rotation.

How does replacing Delfino with Hayes help to better incorporate AJ, Hot Rod and AA into the rotation when Hayes is a better fit for our team and will get more minutes for us than Delfino did?

17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Buddah? :)

18. mikhail1973

What I am saying is that Pistons have enough players and picks to last a while. There is no need to bring in more rookies. That's all I am saying.

19. mikhail1973

Delfino's stats after 4 games:

Min 31.3
    Pts 7.8
    FG% .379
    Rbs 4.5
    Stl 2.0
    Ast 2.3
    TO .75

I am not impressed at all.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's not that bad. His effective FG% is .483 (virtually the same as Billups). His 40% 3-point shooting is the reason.

The main reason that they are +6 with him on the floor is that they are winning the rebounding and turnover battle... until Bosh vanished. They are actually allowing almost 60% shooting by the other teams and are still beating them.