Forward Delfino drops like a stone on the Toronto Raptors' depth chart

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

He is also third on the team in rebounds and assists. This just shows that given the minutes that he keeps hustling and is looking to make plays for the TEAM.

Would be interesting to see what effect his defense had on the player he was guarding.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They have that data. So far it isn't pretty for Carl.

Carlos Delfino of the Toronto Raptors, stats by playing position from 82games.com

He has played most of his minutes at the SF position with SG second and a very small amount as the PG.

So far, his man is lighting him up big time. They shoot and eFG of > 1.000 at the SG position and .583 at the SF. They are also getting inside on 33% of their shot attempts.

The lone bright spots are that Delfino is outrebounding them slightly and has a huge turnover differential over them.
  3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    My biggest concern with Delfino's play is that it takes him over 30 min/game to get those numbers. I know it is early into the season and I don't want to make a big deal out of statistics yet. Also, I don't think it is fair to single him out as allowing opponents to score. A lot has to do with overall team defense and looks like Toronto is not there yet. Carlos, even being a great defender, won't be able to cover for 3-4 others on the court. And the guy he usually subs for couldn't spell the word Defense if his life depended on it.
  4. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

you should watch some games. if you want to see how fino is really doing. the impact he has on the game simply doesn't show up on the stat book except maybe in rebounds. stats just simply don't tell the whole story.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Toronto Raptors team performance by position for the 2006-2007 season from 82games.com

If you look at the Raptors overall, they are weakest at the SG and SF position. They produce the least from those spots and their opponents are the most productive from those positions against them.

The Pistons are pretty dominant across the positions with SG being the only weak spot so far, presumably due to Rip's absence.
    Detroit Pistons team performance by position for the 2006-2007 season from 82games.com

We are dominating the C position on defense!
  6. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Two 2nd rounders is turning out to be a fair price. Not a fleecing, but a fair price. If we had not traded Delfino, he would probably be occupying Dupree's spot on the roster. Then there could be yet another reason to hate FlipS.
  7. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

I agree. Delfino's impact cannot be measured.
  8. mikhail1973

Toronto lost again. Delfino with 5pts and 4rbs in only 23 min.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Like someone just said, try watching the games. Then you would know that Delfino was guarding Lewis, and doing so quite well. Delfino made himself quite valuable in this game. The main problem Toronto is having right now is that Delfino should be starting, and their coach ain't figured it out yet. Good defense is a reason to start someone. A very good reason.
  10. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

It probably is too early into the season to see his full impact. He is learning a new system and playing with new guys. Maybe his stat sheet will look more appealing after 25-30 games (minus the games he plays us).
  11. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

He is probably getting paid in Canadian dollars, so he go shop in Buffalo on his off days and have some change left over.

All these guys that are playing for Toronto their salaries keep going up almost daily vs their American counterparts. That's a great bonus for the guys that play in Canada near the Canadian/American border.

:hoops:
  12. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i might actually agree with you, it looks like he's doing a great job impacting the raptors so that they lose basketball games :)
  13. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Washington let a high first rounder walk without getting a thing in return. At least we got a couple picks for our late first rounder.

We exchanged Delfino for Hayes and two second rounders. Certainly a better deal than Washington got - although they may not care. It remains to be seen whether it's a better deal than Toronto got.
  14. mikhail1973

Can't compare Detroit deal and Toronto deal. Hayes fits Detroit system, Deflino didn't. On the other hand, Delfino fits Toronto system quite a bit better.
  15. mikhail1973

Please re-read what I wrote. I didn't give any description of Deflino's game - just some (not all) of his numbers.

Have a nice day.
    :hoops:
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Luckily for me, I watch every single NBA game, so I'm qualified to comment on them.

My 4 dual tuner DVR's and 3x3 grid of plasma TV's combined with League Pass makes it all possible. Also, I fast forward through free throws, commercials, and most of the transition game.
  17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, but you really need to watch each game at least twice. Better yet, just send an email to Chris McCoskey and ask him about Delfino. Chris is a serious journalist and he went to college and everything.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yeah, I read it again. It starts out "Toronto lost again." How do you expect me to take it other than a jab at Delfino?
  19. mikhail1973

Don't try to read between the lines here. I just merely stated the fact. Toronto is 2-3 on the season and it wasn't their first loss. And in my opinion Delfino is not going to make or break the Raptors. He maybe a piece, but not more than that.
  20. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Delfino's problem is that no one the Raptor's plays any defense. As for his value, all you need to know is that at the end of every game, he guarding the opponent's best player. So far he has drawn VC, Paul Pierce, Rashard Lewis, Iguodala, and Mike Redd.

As far as Hayes is concerned, he is a poor man's Kapono, a perfect fit for Detroit since his lack of D isn't a concern when you have JMax and Rasheed on the floor.