Forward Delfino drops like a stone on the Toronto Raptors' depth chart

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Oct 23, 2007.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I already talked about Paptors lack of defense in one of my previous posts. Hayes is not as pure a shooter as Kapono is, but he's better in all other aspects of the game - he can post, he can defend quite a bit better and he's a better rebounder.

2. mikhail1973

TSN : NBA - Canada's Sports Leader

3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Why would it matter if he starts if he is already playing more minutes than any of the starters? And don't tell me it's psychological. His countryman in SA does just fine with the ego-check.

4. Murph

Murph First Round Draft Pick

You make a good point. Two years ago the excuse for Delfino's inconsistant and ineffective play was that he didn't play regularly.

Last year he played every single game, so the excuse for his inconsistant play was that he needed to play more than the 17 minutes a game that he averaged.

Now, Delfino is averaging almost 30 minutes a game, and is 2nd only to Chris Bosh for the most minutes on the team. So now the excuse is that he needs to start to be effective.

The bar keeps moving.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Coaches know best right? If he is getting the most playing time, it is because he is the best player. That is what I've always been told.

6. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Don't think he needs to start. Just think he needs to get to know his teammates. He is the new kid on the block and needs to figure out where he fits in with this new system.

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Its pretty simple actually to answer your question. Are you sure you can't figure it out yourself? You can't think of a reason to start someone who is playing over 30 minutes a game? Give it a try, let me know if you really can't figure it out.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question posed for rhetorical effect rather than to receive an answer. Rhetorical questions encourage the listener to reflect on what the implied answer to the question must be.

9. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Have you been taking posting lessons from Pass? LOL

:hoops:

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Its not a rhetorical question when what I might answer is not certain. No way I believe this person thought the answer was certain. I got to give the poster some credit at least.

11. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Decent stat line for Fino again tonight. except points. Had 7 points, 9 boards, 2 assists and 2 steals in just about 30 minutes. Only took 4 shots and they were all treys.

12. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I saw the end of the game. He missed 3 out of 4 FTs when they were trying to clinch it, though he did also get a key rebound and made a smart play by giving a foul in the backcourt when they were up 3 in the last few seconds.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Give the poster credit? You're responding to him like he's 5 years old.

Nevertheless, the subject of this thread put in a nice effort tonight.

9 boards. Hit a pair of 3's back to back. Played some fundamentally sound D. Bosh led the team with 10 boards, but that was with a lot more PT.

Who would have thought that Mitchell would be so smitten with Delfino right off the bat?

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Hey, I always say aim high. Anyway, yes, Delfino did miss some free throws. He came on early in the 3rd quarter because his team basically ain't none too good with him not on the floor. And his coach wisely played him the rest of the game. Delfino makes all the plays work, never caring for a moment about his own stats, gets the rebounds, guards their toughest offensive player, and hey, even does windows I hear. It also helped that he made two consecutive 3's at one point.

Now, as good as he is, playing exhausted a good deal of the time, just imagine how he could be if:

1) he got some shots. Especially right after shoot a round before the game starts and during halftime.

2) he got some rest each half instead of being called upon to play these very long stretches with no rest.

3) his coach could recognize how valuable he is to his offense and let him play the guard position more.

But hey, all this is nit-picking to some extent. In all, I was very entertained watching Delfino continually break down the opponents defense every time Toronto did let him touch the ball, and quite amused at the ineptness Toronto showed thruout the game when they tried to do anything with the ball while not involving Delfino. Eventually, Toronto's coach will learn, I am sure.

15. mikhail1973

I watched the 1st half of Bulls-Raps game. Looked like Delfino had no function in the offense. He never got the ball except for one long half-court pass when he took off after Chicago's missed shot and beat his man down the court. He played solid D, hit the boards, but looked like an accessory on the offense. He couldn't create on his own when he tried. I know he ended up with 16 points, but I didn't watch the second half, so I'm only describing what I saw in the 1st.

16. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

16 pts and 7 rebounds in 19 minutes. nice.

17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Not sure, but Delfino is Toronto's leading rebounder so far this season. Have to check the stats.

As for someone missing the stuff Delfino did in the first half, some of it was kind of hard to see, but some of it was obvious as can be. Just how closely was that person watching I wonder.

For sure though, there is still a ton more Delfino could be doing if his coach started him, as a guard. I am critical of the Toronto coach for not involving Delfino more, so I can't disagree with someone who sees the same thing, a small role for Delfino in the offense. The only difference, hey I say its small as compared to where it should be. I catch a lot of stuff Delfino does, since my hobby is after all studying game film.

18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

looks like bosh is still leading the RPG cat but Delfino was leading the SPG cat at 1.6 per game.

19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Now that is respect. Delfino got 20 minutes in this game. But he did not play garbage time. That honor was reserved for Kapono, a starter for Toronto. While Delfino rested with the starters. I like that.

20. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

33 minutes, 24 points (9-of-14 FG), 8 boards tonight.

For the season:
    25.6mpg, 9.6ppg, 5.1rpg, 1.3apg, 1.1spg, 0.75topg (44.3% FG, 43.5% 3FG)

Another one bites the dust. Next up... Amir Johnson