Four New Starters/Let The Projections Begin

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, May 1, 2009.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE DETROIT PISTONS

Based on Langlois latest article, it appears that Joe may be replacing Tay, Rip and Sheed. The potential for a whole new starting lineup minus Stuckey is imminent.

With all of this said, it's time to stop castrating Joe D and move on to more substantive issues like predicting who our next starters will be.

Let me be the first to say that I love Joe D, I hate some of the decisions that he has made over the past few years, but I respect the man to the utmost for his character, as well as, a former pistons player, hall of famer and GM. He is hands down one of the best in the business.

We all sung his praise not so long ago for pulling the rug from under Danny Ainge, as well as, him being one of the best if not the best GM in the business. Since none of us here are clairvoyant or psychic, no one was privy to what Dumars and the late Bill D actually discussed, we can only speculate.

It's okay to vent, BMC (%%%%%, moan and complain) and even talk about Dumars bad decisions, but to defame the man; that's totally unacceptable and is just not right. (IMO).

I am willing to bet that 99.9 percent of us in the forum have made some screwed up decisions in our lives and in or jobs, even decision that have ended up negatively in one way or the other. Yes, our shi...... stinks too, and by the way we didn't get fired and our family supported us.

We have all been conjecturing and predicting for the past few years. We can now finally come into this forum with realistic ideas of our next free agents, trades, i.e.

The starting lineup will be gutted this off-season and there are plenty, I repeat plenty of unending possibilities.

There are two facts as we go forward 1)Bill D has passed on and 2)Joe D will be the Pistons GM for a VERY long time.

So with that said; here is my wish list.

1. Trade Rip to the Wizards for their #1 pick in this upcoming draft. I heard Flip on the local radio here. He stated that they will be keeping thier big three together, but open to trading their pick. Rip's name have been mentioned a lot here in the Post and on local sports talk shows. Additionally, we take maybe one or two of their expiring.

2. Trade Tay and Amir to Toronto for Bosh and even give the Raps a future first rounder. (I realize Bosh is a FA next year)

3. Go after Ramon Sessions or another pure PG, moving Stuckey to Combo guard.

4. If #2 falls through look at Chandler or West.

5. With the Wizards pick, enter Thabeet. (Can you imagine Thabeet and Bosh as a front line).

We finally have an opportunity to really do some Pistons Forum projections for our next starting lineup.

I realize that this thread will get hijacked eventually because that's one of the things that we do consistently on this forum. We are like ADHD kids, our mind stays on the issue for a few posts, then we go all over the place.
  2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Great post AG.

Add "Reconsider the decision to bring back Michael Curry and replace him with a coach that will actually LEAD the players." and I'm totally on board!

I don't see Rip being worth a top-3 pick. Hopefully the Wizz do!
  3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Looks good except getting a #3 pick. That sounds too far fetched to happen. Maybe only 3 new starters next season and one of ours gets promoted.
  4. detteam

detteam All-Star

Joe's a wanker.
  5. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I want to believe in Joe, but I am very skeptical. Why would any team give us a No.1 pick for Rip? We cannot pin our hopes on fleecing other teams. Everyone is trying to improve. Lets see what Joe does.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Are we allowed to trade Rip for that pick?
  7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Great avatar BDL.

Does Rip get along OK with Twitch? At any rate, I agree, I really doubt he is worth a top three, let alone top eight or nine pick.

See AG, I didn't hijack you too much. ;)
  8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Could we (or would we want to) give the Wizz Rip AND our 15th pick for that pick?
  9. armygirl

The reason that I mentioned the Wizards pick is based on statments consistently coming from the Wizards organization that they would like to trade their pick for a veteran.

Folks here would love to have Rip back because they never really got over losing him in the first place.
  10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I was thinking about that. I would do that. But what do I know?:nerd2:
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yea, he did lose a lot when he was in Washington, didn't he?
  12. armygirl

Darth, you are all right with me. Stop playing. lol.
  13. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

What are people's thoughts on the chance that either Prince or Rip are gone next year? I think very slim, even less for both. Their contracts are not that ridiculous, but teams will be looking to shred payroll, not add it with above average, "fringe" all-stars. If either was a free agent this year could they get much more than the MLE? I say no.
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I love these ideas ArmyG...but I too am skeptical about Curry doing anything with them as once again he has to deal with change just like this season...but then again I don't expect us to be competitive until 2010-11, so lets go for it..

I especially love item # 3
  15. armygirl

Absolutely
  16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I know that Toronto risks losing Bosh to free agency in 2010, but do you really think Prince, Amir and a future first round pick would be enough to get Bosh? That would be a steal.
  17. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Not to nit pick your list, but you DO understand that by the very fact that Sessions looks to be a scorer (as shown even by his performances against DET), he will immediately be labeled (by forumites) as a Combo Guard, therefore negating any chance he has of being a pure PG and thus forcing us right back into the hunt for a pure PG. A pure PG, must avg exactly between 29.6 and 35.2 percent from the field, score no more than 8 ppg (and that's pushing it) and avg exactly between 12.3 and 16.7 assists per game. Otherwise, what are we even playing for?
  18. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

A great thread by one of the few faithful. I would concur that most options are possibilities, except for Chandler or West. One's banged up and overpaid, the other would be nice if we had the 5 position sorted out. Just can't seem to see either happening. Sessions is interesting since it appears his current team may be unable to afford to keep him.

My own prediction/fantasy has been brewing for a little while now...

Marcin Gortat

His father was a boxing heavy weight champion contender. He ain't soft.

He's big, active, and proven. 11 points, 15 rebounds and four steals, in his first start in the playoffs. Oddly, the first player with 15 rebounds and four steals in a playoff game since Dirk Nowitzki in 2007 in his first start in the playoffs.

No, he won't make anyone forget Ben Wallace. But he will consistently hold his own with the Perkins, Dalmenbert, and Varejao types, and dare I say it, even Howard, who he's been playing in practice everyday, which can never be underestimated.

Just as importantly, he allows our "little" bigs to play their true position. Given time, this could be difference the between Amir or Max making the leap to full time starter or becoming irrelevant. And even if Joe swings a trade for Amare or Bosh (getting one is not that likely let alone both), neither would prefer to play the 5, and would thrive playing next to the Polsih Hammer.

"The whole year for me was hard. Playing behind Dwight Howard isn't easy..." He's a restricted FA. Word on the street is he's going to get paid this summer and his performance in his start against Philly only cements that. Orlando will not want to invest top dollar in guy playing spot minutes behind Howard.

Joe has stated a sign and trade of Rasheed and/or McDyess is possible too. Orlando would love either for cheap and we could simply absorb the difference in contracts. I would love to sign him for MLE type money, but would not hesitate to pay more.

He wants starting minutes and money. We have plenty of both. And being from Poland, somehow I don't think he would mind the weather or the small market nature of our team.

Some clips to get a feel for what he brings:

YouTube - Marcin Gortat- Magic vs. Suns 12.12.08
    YouTube - Marcin Gortat vs Celtics 08.03.2009
  19. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

20. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

I've been thinking Gortat would be a good pick up too. I'd like him to put on a couple more lbs, but he can really help us with a big body at the 5 spot. He would compliment whatever low-post scorer we can get whether that be David West, Carlos Boozer, Chris Bosh, or Paul Milsap.

Its been said that Tayshaun is more likely to be moved because he has less years on his contract and is the main position we need upgraded to give us a better first front on Lebron.

There are lots of possibilities going into this season, and i'm really excited to see what happens. I can see the Clippers trading a 4/5 for a 1/2/3 in which case we could try to trade Tay for Kamen, we've all heard about NO and the fact that they're trying to shed contracts (Camby type deal?), the draft is supposed to be a little weak, especially at number 15, but perhaps we can trade up, and then we have some free agents that can make an impact.

As for our future, I've been thinking about what kind of restrictions we should put on future pick-ups, should we make it a priority to get guys that are a certain age or younger say 27. This way we know that age won't contribute to the wear of our new core. If we trade Tay, we can go in many directions to sign his replacement, Artest, Marvin Williams, Shawn Marion, each player has strengths and weaknesses and would really indicate the direction of our team.

As you can see, there are lots of things to be done, and it'll be interesting to see what happens.