Four New Starters/Let The Projections Begin

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, May 1, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If you can pick up that guy for $6 million a year, it's not a bad idea. I like his game.

I also like the idea of giving Kwame some competition in camp.
  2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

It might be a good pickup if only for the fact that whenever we play the Cavs, a minimum of three passes to Big Z would unintentionally be thrown right into the hands of Gortat.

[​IMG][​IMG]
  3. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

LMAO :pound:

Unfortunately, that is a double-edged sword. I'm sure Stuck will be making some nice passes to Z as well, thinking it's the G-Man.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Doesn't he also have to average between 1.3 and 3.4 turnovers per game?
  5. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

1.3 and 2.1
  6. BallDon'tLie

...and NOT manage to blow the majority of his 3-on-1 fast-break opportunities.
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah but at times, Bynum tends to shoot more than we want him to, but I would say Sessions would be an upgrade over Willie..but then again maybe he only played well against us because we had no one to stop him???
  8. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Thanks for the youtube view Worm. You definitely opened my eyes to this guy. He seems awesome and probably a good buy and would not demand an exorbitant amount of cash. T
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The surprising thing is that Bynum and Stuckey both have the exact same balance between jump shots and drives.

58% J's, and 42% drives. But Bynum finishes a lot better and has a higher overall percentage.

In terms of the frequency of their shooting, Bynum attempts 15.3 FG's per 36 minutes vs. 13.1 for Stuckey. Bynum shoots 5.3 FT's vs. 4.1 for Stuckey.

I would also say that Bynum played better pressure defense (although it is difficult to assess the overall effect of the size difference on switches and such in the half court).

It is almost reasonable to ask the question, which guy is better?
  10. roscoe36

Bynum is a better PG because he can drive and kick.

Stuckey still is not very good at selling the drive and making a play for his teammate.

Stuckey can finish the more wild shot, but Bynum seems to finish with more consistency.

Bynum gives up a lot of size, but he works 2 times harder than Stuck on defense. A lot of times, Stuckey looks bored or confused on the defensive end.

Stuckey has way more upside, but I am a bird in the hand sorta guy.
  11. BallDon'tLie

Both of those guys should be shooting 150,000 jumpers per day over the summer in order to extend their range past the 3pt line and increase their accuracy.

...unless we go with Ernie's idea of an all-layup offense next year.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Hey, Pistons don't shoot jumpers in the offseason!!!
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Bynum is spectacularly quick. I'm not sure he is getting enough credit for his ability to burn any defender one-on-one. He also uses that quickness on defense and fights through picks.

If we are going to be a defensive team, imagine

Bynum
    Afflalo
    Artest

as the 1-3. That would be inpenetrable.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Aside from lack of ball handling, 3 point shooting, post play, the ability to create a shot, size, speed and defense I don't see many holes on this team.
  15. slowfall

slowfall First Round Draft Pick

Rumor has it Artest is currently working on a deal to resign with Houston.

Aside from that why do people want sessions? WE HAVE WILL BYNUM!
    also I see either RIP or Tay staying next year maybe both; it's easy to say everyone is on the table but I can't see to many options being better than what we already have in those 2
  16. max

max All-Star

Sure would be exciting if we could get the #1 pick and Bosh for Rip and Tay.

I am very open to moving everyone.
  17. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Fair assessment. Neither guy is a point guard in the truest sense of the word since both guys are looking for their shot first and foremost.

I will say that I was encouraged with the way Stuckey defended James, when he happened to guard him. The Pistons held the Cavaliers to 9 points in the 3rd quarter of game 3 and Stuckey's defense on Bronze muscles was a big part of it. Certainly Stuckey's size and strength advantage gives him in a big edge in those time of matchups over Bynum.

I wouldn't call either even an average defender though... Bynum is better at pressuring the ball, but he's toast if you pick and roll him.
  18. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Ahhh Ernie. What would we do without you!?!

Can't disagree. Pat Riley always built his teams inside out. The C's are screwed without Garnett. Kobe got nothing done without Shaq and then Gasol up front, and are best with a healthy Bynum in the middle.

The point of course is to build a team from the inside out.

That and stockpile as many trade assets and/or cap space as one can. You are then in position to swing a Garnett/Gasol/Shaq-defection type deal should one EVER materialize. Joe is no dummy has taken a page from Jerry Wests book (who BTW, was not infallible like the way we expect Joe to have been. EVERY GM has his hits and misses).

As for trades, I have no idea, except the sign and trade for Gortat (although he could be signed outright). However, in terms of FAs:

Ben Gordon

When he's healthy (pre game 6) and is and given the keys, he's an unstoppable force when it counts most. The guy imposes his will on a game. A quality absolutely needed in TODAY's L if you want to win. That and Tim Grover is touting him as one of the HARDEST working guy's he's ever seen. Worth the mula. I'll say that agin. He's worth the dough.

The only fear is that because he is such a one way player, WHEN his shooting slumps, what is the 12mil per year you pay him getting you? Joe challenged Rip to become a more all around player. Bet the same will happen if BG is wearing Pistons blue.

I have a strong feeling Stuckey and Bynum are trade bait waiting to be put on the hook. Especially Bynum. Max and Amir too. My best guess, only two of the four are here next season.

Sign a solid legit 5 (Gortat), role the dice on one of the VERY best closers (BG), swing a couple of shrewd trades, and we are back to competing for the ECF again. It WILL happen.
  19. roscoe36

Ben Gordon will be lucky to get a deal for $9 million to start. No one is going to pay him $12 million in this economy. The Bulls have already indicated they won't, and I don't think there are more than 1 or 2 teams besides Detroit with that sort of cap room.

Which means his best chance for big money is a S&T. But again, that is predicated on Chicago wanting to add $12 million in salary, NOT named Ben Gordon.
  20. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

That's the best news all year.