Fox Sports Blurb

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

8. Item: Doomsayers were lurking around the two-time defending Eastern Conference champion Detroit Pistons. The word was with Larry Brown bolting for New York, no way coach Flip Saunders would get the same commitment out of them. Well, three wins later, those same critics are doing a, uh, flip-flop.
    What this really means: Saunders was an ideal replacement for Brown in a multitude of ways. While he is demanding of defense, he is far more flexible and creative in defensive approach because Brown's principles are so grounded in man-to-man. The fact of the matter is, the Pistons are already defensive-oriented, and Saunders' offensive skills are making them a better team because they are happier and unshackled. Rip Hamilton is off to the best start of his career, averaging 27.0 points, shooting 60 percent from the field and nearly 92 percent from the free throw line. This isn't the substitute teacher syndrome — the teacher's away so the kids will play — this is a new teacher with a different approach. He has a gifted class and they will retain what they gleaned from Brown's genius and apply it with what Saunders brings to the table. So many people are picking Miami or Indiana to win the East, but to overlook the Pistons, who were within a quarter of winning back-to-back Finals, is nothing more than naive.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5062912
  2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Slippy

Interesting blurb. Flip is going to have a much easier time of it than LB did when he first came in 2003...

Larry had a lot to prove and his reputation was at stake....

After an impressive regular-season run and another Central Division title, Detroit looked helpless in the Eastern Conference finals against New Jersey. As the Nets were busy sweeping them away, the Pistons seemed to be more interested in finding out how high a draft pick they'd end up securing in the lottery than in winning even a single playoff game against the Nets.
    Larry Brown was lured from the Philadelphia 76ers to Detroit to replace Rick Carlisle, and Brown's reputation as the best coach in the game will be on the line as he tries to push the Pistons to the next level. (Basketball Digest 11/2003)

Flip is getting an easy run compared to old Larry.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Agreed. All Flip has to do is make it out of the first round and his reputation is increased.

If Rip can maintain a high pace, I think he's an All-Star this year...
  4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

he should be, our starting line up is an all-star team for goodness sakes. I don't think it will happen though because none of the pistons will have amazing stats, and rip won't always have these hot shooting days. I do believe another person besides ben should be an allstar, but i don't think anyone will get recognition.
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

It's the second round we need to be concerned with. If he can't get past the first round then something is REALLY wrong around here. ;)

Yeah, Rip's been great. I sure wasn't expecting this.
  6. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I disagree. Flip is working with largely the same roster as last year. When LB came in we effectively added Tayshaun and Rasheed from the year before. The team was going to improve no matter what he did. But, LB still got the credit. Now, if Flip's team wins more or less games it will be because of what Flip has done to change the way we play, because the roster is mostly unchanged. I think Flip has more "Rep" riding on it then LB did. LB was a hall of famer before the Pistons. This is a make or break season for Flip. If we continue at this high pace and make to the finals (and even win it all) he will be looked at as one of the best coaches in the league. If we stumble, or get an early round playoff exit he'll be looked at as a subpar coach.

lucky for him, he's doing quite well so far. :nod:
  7. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I don't think Rip has ever had a coach that has utilized his talents so effectively. So far he appears to have benefited the most from Flip's flex offense. His scoring just seems effortless now.
  8. max

max All-Star

More to Come

3 of 4 games over 100 and Sheed and Dyess still have not contributed much offensivly yet. Imagine when they do.
  9. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Just wrong. All LB had to do was make it to the finals, and he'd be consider a success. He got a team that RC had already instilled a defensive philosophy into, he just had to refine, not build. And he got Tay with a year under his belt. The team LB inherited was better than the previous year, the day LB stepped on the court.

Flip has to win a title to be considered a success, and the only bump in talent he's getting is MO Evans.

After four games, we're scoring more, and giving up the same amount of points. Flip is going 10 deep at times, every one is happy, and no one is wondering if Garr is going to be coaching. No way any of this would be happening with the old coach around. Flip aint just treading water, he is a major improvement over the previous regime.
  10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

LB getting to the finals would have been considered a slight improvement. How we did in the finals is what made it a successful year.

I do agree though, that Flip has a challenge on his hands. Anything less than a game 7 loss in the finals this year will be considered a failure. That's not much of a margin for error.

Even the regular season is a bit of a double edged sword for Flip. If we do poorly, people will be upset and it will make our path back to the finals that much more difficult.

If we do really well in the regular season and don't get back to the finals at the very least, it will only further the "Flip can't win in the playoffs" label.

Looks like the only option is a #1 seed in the regular season and a 4 game sweep of SA in the finals!
  11. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Second Round?

If the Pistons only make it to the second round this year, not only will this year be a big disappointment but also a big failure.