Free Agent Period Opens Wed., What Will Joe Do?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by tads, Jun 28, 2009.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

"the sky is falling..the sky is falling..."

Thanks guys.

I know its hard for some folks to separate the players from the team.
    The team being the program, it's a holistic dynamic animal. It lives in the larger universe.

The players are static moments in the life of the program, they're finite. People have a tendency to grasp and identify with the shiny finite objects (players) and confuse them with the program.

It all gets personal quick when your favorite player is traded, the static moment ends, your team connection ends and it's hard to see the forest for the trees.

It's a chicken little moment...

2. G-man

G-man Starter

I think Dumars goes younger, probably looking for players in their mid-20's. Milsap, Lee, Charlie V, Bosch (in trade). I don't see him breaking the bank in a building year. Since he's been at the helm we've had two episodes where he went big, he picked up Sheed in the final payout year of his last contract at the trade deadline, $16.9 and Iverson last year same thing, $21M.

In the first case it was to put us over when we were teetering on the inside edge, in the second case it was to put us over when we were teetering on the outside edge. Only difference was one came on the acknowledged front end and the other on the acknowledged rear end.

If Dumars runs true to form he's looking for hardworking sleepers that can be brought in or bought for somewhere in $6-8M range. Okur might fit because the cost range and skill set are good. Though he'd still need an inside banger. He really wants to keep Dyess and thats going to probably cost 6M.

He isn't likely to suddenly start contracting anyone where their pay starts at +20% of the total payroll. He never has and the NBA is facing a couple years of potentially lower cap space.

3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Not sure Dyess is going to want to come back. He really wants that ring, and I think his attempt with Pistons has run its due course. He may get on Cavs or maybe even Spurs wagon. But who knows?

4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Who was surprised about this?

The general sentiment seems to be surprised he lasted as long as he did w/ his failures and the player tension.

5. max

max All-Star

Yes but we all know what they had to do to get him? Tank the season and draw the #1 pick. Then you have to hope its a strong draft. That's how it all began for them.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

G-man makes a good point about Sheed. Now we know that LB might not have been brought back if the Pistons had not won the title, I think it was very clever to trade for Sheed, take your shot, and then Joe would have had the cap space to resign Memo or go in a new direction if he didn't want to retain Sheed.

7. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Didn't work for the Celtics. Strong draft or not, what's the combined chances of it containing a player of Duncan's caliber, AND of us winning the lottery to draft him, even if we had the worst record? Zero or thereabouts.

8. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Rip is good as gone because he was a large part of the drama last season. See yesterday's Detroit Freep Press article.

9. G-man

G-man Starter

10. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Re: Ariza's agent to pursue Dumars..

Right on G. As much as I have been convinced for sometime now that BGiddy is coming to town, I would prefer a 1-2-3 bunch of Stucky, Ariza and Dre Miller.

11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You really have to watch out for that out here in the desert.

It's also possible he would take less to play elsewhere, but doesn't want to stay with the Suns unless they give him a ridiculous amount of money.

G-man was clearly responding to to a previous poster. Go back and read it if you didn't notice.

12. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I went back and checked. My mistake.

13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Umm First he should fire Curry and second hire a coach that these potential FA will be glad to come here play for.

OK one down, now named the new coach by tomorrow morning and then start making the offers

14. Ryder

Ryder First Round Draft Pick

Still No Decision From Kobe On ETO...hmmm:stirthepot:

15. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Joe D To do List -
    Wednesday July 1

1. Make offer to David Lee
    2. Trade Rip Hamilton to New Orleans for Tyson Chandler
    3. Look for a shooting guard who can spell defense
    4. Try to find a way to get Dyess back
    5. Try out that new wrap at the deli down the street

16. mikhail1973

Here's another look at some of more notable FA's on the market: HOOPSWORLD

17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

1. In a perfect world we Trade Rip for Chandler
    2. Trade Tay, Max, and a future 1st rounder for Bosh (hey they're going to suck this season and lose him for nothing next season anyway)
    3. Ink Ben Gordan (5yrs/$50Mill), 1st year is only $8.25M in cap space.
    4. Ink Dyess(1yr/$6mill)
    5. Use the remaining $4-$5M on a low key SF (Hill, Marion, Rodney Carney etc etc)
    PG: Stuck / Bynum
    SG: Gordan / Alf
    SF: Who cares / Rookies
    PF: Bosh /Dyess
    C: Chandler / Kwame

18. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

Joe Dumars might not have been lying, but he certainly does not say anything until he is good and ready to say it. He just got done saying at the end of the season that he was going to stick with Michael Curry, now (thankfully) he comes out saying that he is going to fire him. He must have made a decision about Curry, if not a guaranteed decision about Curry at the end of the year, but he probably did not want to fire him until he was good and ready. Perhaps Joe has another coach in the wings that he can't announce until tomorrow.

I don't think it is wrong that Joe is lying, its part of business. In fact I would rather he did that than have all of the teams dirty laundry aired out there. But since there is such a lack of information, people tend to freak out when the news does go out like chicken little. But given the fact that Joe D rarely gives out information and the information he does give out is carefully worded to present the image that he wants, and can be contradicted whenever a deal worth pursuing comes down the pipe.

When thinking about the things that he will do next, it might be good to assume that maybe he is not going to go out and do what makes sense to do. In my opinion, he is more excited about drew gooden and trevor ariza than boozer or gordon. But we'll see what happens...

19. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

What are you basing this on?

20. mikhail1973

There's a lot of sense in this. Perhaps, Joe wasn't ready to make the call and since Curry was under the contract when season ended he wasn't going to make a change unless he had plan B. Also, possibly Joe wanted Curry to mend his ways with players and Curry refused, which kind of pushed Joe to make the call. Or maybe there are other things about the direction of the team they disagreed upon and Joe decided to cut his losses. These decisions are not usually made overnight and Joe needed time to do what he figured he needs to do, so he said what he said.