Free Agent Period Opens Wed., What Will Joe Do?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by tads, Jun 28, 2009.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

There's a huge difference between reserving the right to change your mind and lying.

Dumars doesn't appear to act in haste. But as Tad suggests he's closed mouthed (as he should be since peoples livlihoods are at stake). We know nothing of the relationship between the two since the season ended. Everything except the the firing is heresay.

It also true that anytime something happens you weren't expecting to happen - it appears hasty since you haven't had time to wrap your brain around it and it's consequences.

You can be sure that Dumars spent a lot of time preparing to fire Coach Curry. It wasn't hasty and like many have suggested he most likely reached out to the replacement long before the pink slip arrived.

I know there's a lot of concern over Doug Collins. But he has mellowed a bit since he last prowled the sidelines at the Palace.
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I have to add that you can't make a $5 million decision in a haste, especially when it's not your money.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

What should Joe do hmmmm..............In a perferct world this is what I would do:
    1. Trade Rip, Max, & a 1st rd pick for Bosh, I'd try real hard to convince Colangelo that they're going to lose him for nothing next season anyway - so they might as well make the move.
    Now we just added Bosh and still have 100% of our FA $$$'s left over, but we don't have a SG, or do we.......Why can't Arron be our starting SG. We'd have a decent 3 guard rotation, Stuckey, AA & Bynum; this would allow Stuckey to play off the ball a little more.

PG- Stuckey / Bynum
    SG - Alf / Stuckey
    SF - Tay / Rookies
    PF - Bosh / Dyess (We'd sign him to a really nice 1 year deal)
    C - Kwame / Dyess

We would have major Cap $$$ next summer and we could go hard after Wade or Joe Johnson at SG in 2010.
  4. mikhail1973

Probably won't have enough scoring with this rotation. Stuckey has been inconsistent. Alf hasn't proven he can score enough to be a starter. Tay is unreliable and Kwame just can't score period.
  5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

We're not going to win this year with the available FA class, why buy just to buy. I say add Bosh, save $$$ and next summer Spend, Spend, Spend. I mean do we really think adding Ben Gordon and Charlie V or even Carlos Boozer will win us the Central Div this year? I truely believe that Alf and Kwame can get you double digits if they were starters.

All that being said, I would also trade Tay to Houston for T-Mac....even though I know that is SUPER UNPOPULAR around here,

PG - Stuck / Bynum
    SG - Alf / Stuck
    SF - T-Mac / Rooks
    PF - Bosh / Dyess
    C - Kwame / Dyess

70% of T-Mac is still better than 100% of Tay and/or Rip. And we STILL have major $$$$$ in the summer of 2010.
  6. mikhail1973

And a guaranteed lottery ticket.
    Joe has to somehow put people in the seats or his job may be on the line.
  7. mikhail1973

8. Kez

Kez Second Round Draft Pick

Probably be worth considering for the defensive play, but theres too much dislike for that Sideshow Bob looking flopper for me to ever embrace him as a Piston. And as far as T-Mac goes, the dude has no heart. Too willing to quit on his team any chance he gets as shown by him not even discussing it with the Rockets before he hung it up this season.
  9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Doesn't everybody? This years crop of FA's is in for an even ruder awakening than last years, I expect Turk to take that Orl offer eventually, Ben G is staying put, Millsap is going to OKC, and Memo will soon take the Boozer route and opt in, NY is most definitely keeping David Lee and I'll be dam if I bet the franchise on Charlie "No Brows" Villanueva.
  11. max

max All-Star

That was last year when there was more money flowing around.
  12. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Yes, I think he said he deserves something along that line. Don't want him to even to wear a Pistons jersey.
  13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I can see Turk going to POR. I agree Ben will probably stay where he is unless the Bulls seriously lowball him. Memo is up in the air. UTAH could find a way to keep Milsap/Boozer if Memo opts out, but I could see Milsap in OKC too. And those last two i don't want any part of.
  14. G-man

G-man Starter

Boozer indicated he wasn't opting out two hours ago. He's good to go in Utah for another year. So either Okur or Milsap should be available. Okur cleanly and Milsap after the water boils..
  15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Utah can't have Booz and Milsap one has to go, They'll most likely keep Memo- because he's a 7'er and they already suffer from lack of height as it is. No way I go after Millsap- too short, and I personally think he's a system player (as is Ariza BTW). I say save, save, save and if neccessary.............eat another season and scout the college game in prepeartion for our lottery pick.
  16. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

While this might be ideal, I don't think business wise Joe can afford to make that decision.
  17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Like hell he can't, since when have the Davidson's ever been upset about saving money, the cost savings would offset the lack of revenue this season. I just think that there's no point in spending $$$$ on guys who can't put you into contention ie Charlie "No Brows", Ben Gordon, and David Lee, Memo etc etc.......it's a waste of $$$$$.
  18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I agree with you, but from a PR standpoint can you really just blatantly waste another season and avoid major backlash not only from your own fans but around the league as well?

If Joe does nothing, it negates everything he's beens saying all year esp dismissing the 10' and talking about getting help now.

It's another year of the nasty after effect of the CB trade lingering. Casual fans don't seem to care nor want to understand the "deeper meaning".
  19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Why not, there's about 25 other teams committed to doing that already.
    Again Sign & Trade for Bosh now and give them whatever they want, hell give 'em what Danny Ainge asked for + a pick, for all I care.