Free Agents next year

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Sep 27, 2005.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

There was a discussion somewhere on the internet about next year's F.A. class... they were talking about this piece from some guy named Fad?

Anyways... in this discussion they talked about our FA's, Prince (restricted) and Ben (Unrestricted)

They listed Ben as the only superstar available... list his assets as ...still the top post defender in the NBA, is an amazing rebounder and shot blocker, and brings with him some real intangibles. Wallace did just turn 31 years old and can't keep it up forever. Offensively, he's still way below average and the free-throw problem was as bad as ever last season. But he remains a vital cog in the Pistons' engine -- one they can't afford to lose.

About Prince they said....
    After the All-Star break averaging 17.4 ppg, 5.3 rpg and shooting nearly 49 percent from the field.
    He has the wingspan of a 7-footer, is a fluid athlete, and can both defend and score. He still needs to be more assertive (his disappearing act against San Antonio in the Finals didn't help his cause) but if Joe Johnson can get $70 million for a desperate team under the cap ... who knows? The Pistons will work hard this summer to lock up Prince to an extension. It's going to take Richard Hamilton money (6 years, $56 million), maybe more, to get it done however.

I think one of the things we have going for us resigning Prince is our bird rights and the fact that he's restricted.
    There's also a real strong class of SF's in the market next year:
    Harrington (U), Peja (U), Radmannovic (U) (SF/PF), Posey (U), Harpring (U), Van Horn (U), Tim Thomas (U), Bonzi (U), Ariza (R), Dunleavy (R) etc.
    May be a potential MLE player there for us.

The other thing going for us is that the only teams with big cap space will be
    the Bobcats, Hawks, Bulls and Hornets all having more than $10 million in cap space

[FONT=&quot]I could see the Bulls making a run at Ben if Curry bolts... he's always killed the them.... if they can't get Ben they may go after Prince (another need). [/FONT]
  2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Pretty weak year for free agency..

but you are right about the mid-level exception possibilites!

Of your list:

Harrington (U), Peja (U), Radmannovic (U) (SF/PF), Posey (U), Harpring (U), Van Horn (U), Tim Thomas (U), Bonzi (U), Ariza (R), Dunleavy (R) etc.

Here are my thoughts:

Harrington - Not a bad pickup, lot's of offensive promise
    Peja - Duh!!! Who wouldn't want Peja? But he's not worth the dollars for us. He's not a Pistons defensive fit.
    Radmannovic - if you can get him for the mid-level, I'd take him! Tremendous upside..not to mention he is a shooter
    Posey - Depends on his health. If he is healthy...he is definitely Pistons material...outside shooting and defense
    Harpring - Very underrated game. I pass though..I like athleticism and he could use some.
    Van Horn - Soft. I wouldn't want this dude based on principal. On paper he gives you boards and outside shooting. But he is about as soft as they come. NOPE!
    Tim Thomas - If Van Horn is Mr. Softie, Tim Thomas is his nephew. I pass!
    Bonzi - I like this man's game, but his attitude is not a good fit for the franchise
    Ariza - Tremendous upside. I'd snatch him up in a second...but maybe not for the mid-level exception unless he lives up to some potential this year.
    Dunleavy - Great player, but he wants money and he's not going to get it from us.
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Mercury, I'm pretty sure I've heard of this Fad fellow you're talking about. Seems to me he is an expert mostly on evaluating the talent of young foreign players...I wouldn't put much stock in what he has to say about American players.
  4. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Haha

Then again, everybody is knocking on Fad Chord's ability or inability to do effective and better scouting at international players with the hmm still jury-is-out verdict on Darko, so guess Fad Chord's opinion doesn't count for anything right now? Hahaha :ohwell:

Anyway, yes indeed the MLE is ready for those guys.....

But I think we have to have Ben and Tay ready and back in the fold before we do anything.

Of those, I like Posey the best and Harrington and Harpring second. Of the rest I really don't care for any of them Radmanovic just stands out on the three line and jack em up. Haven't seen much defense from him, Ariza is too raw right now. Wells isn't our type of player.

:eek:
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I like Ariza and everyone knows I like Posey. We need complimentary players to reload again next year. Ariza could be a nice replacement for Hunter.
  6. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I second that!! Hunter should retire after this season. Ariza would be a nice pick up.