free floating

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by pass99, Nov 2, 2006.

1. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Some free-floating thinking on my part…yea, I know it shows; but this is my internal dialogue.

No reason to panic, but some clear pathways are opening up. Still a play off team, but I expected too much from Sheed. The front court is solid, if not, at times, spectacular (Rip/CB). Tay is what you get: 15 pts, good defense and no court presence. Naz should give you a double every night and that is what is being asked from him. Sheed and Dyess (in the first game) gave you 52 minutes and 2 points: big problem area, because they are not go-to guys and not pressure oriented. For the coaches, this is a psychological nightmare as they look down the bench.

Team height is big, but slow afoot and getting slower. This means the quick pace policy instigated by Stern will change penetration levels to favor those team who react quickly. Deliberate offensive/defensive styles will have problems and you can expect high turnovers rates. Mobility (from big and small) and reactive rhythm from offense to defense will favor those teams that have, or are developing, this strategy. I believe that Pistons have the coaching talent to make this happen, and make no mistake about it, all teams will go through these transition phases.

The bench is above average and it is to JD’s credit that cap limits make his shrewd judge of talent the best in the league. This is not lost on the majority of GM’s and one of the main reasons you have contract extensions emphasizing any form resembling stability and paying excessive market prices for mediocre talent to get there. Youth is not encourage to submit their immigration papers from the draft colleges and no help will come from the current activism of CBI agreements…hence, so much youth moonlighting between teams. One through five have always been the magic numbers for lucky ones and those teams who screw this up pay down the line…thanks Tony.

Where are we at? I still think we are playoff bound, although there is huge parity around-the-bend. Detroit still has it culture of toughness and is a class organization. JD is going to have to pull-the-trigger before the training deadline and I don’t envy his position…still, he is one of the best around at this.

My suggestion (being always outside looking in): go across the street, knock on Kevin and Carl Poston’s door (Elite Athletic Association) and say lets make a deal for Rashard Lewis. He is as good as gone from the Sonics. This young man (27) is in his prime, 6-10 (PF), 230 lbs., averages 20 pts, 80% from the line, and is your go-to type of guy. Get him now.

Only one huge problem: Davidson will have to reconstruct his hard ideological approach toward the collusive winks the owners have about the luxury tax (which Isiah daily mocks). If the Pistons do the quick slide (and it can happen fairly quickly), then we must ultimately lay it on his door step.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This is a great post. A lot to digest, but A Grade material nonetheless.

Thank you.

3. linwood

linwood All-Star

I like Rashard Lewis quite a bit, but I don't see where he solves our problems. He plays primarily at the SF position, where we are pretty solid with Tay. We would still have a slow PF and C to deal with.

Plus, I'm not so sure he is leaving the Sonics. Especially if the new ownership moves to OKC. Rashard is a fan draw.

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

\

Starters: Billups, Hamilton, Lewis, Tay, Sheed.

Tay becomes our starting power forward. Tay can rebound the position. Tay gives up size to the opponent, but then again not many power forwards can stay with Tay to keep him from scoring.

5. linwood

linwood All-Star

Interesting. Very interesting. This would make us small and quick... like the "new" NBA, with potent scoring potential.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

lee356,

After Sheed is ejected in the 2nd Q, who becomes our center?

7. linwood

linwood All-Star

It also leaves us with the dreaded "Tay guards Duncan" scenerio. I guess we could use Nazr, Sheed and Tay in the frontcourt. It would definitely increase our scoring possibilities, which seems to be the new trend.

8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm pretty sure that Lee was not on the Tay at PF bandwagon when Duncan abused him... just say no to 218 LBers playing PF.

9. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

Tay vs. Lewis

Rashard Lewis is much more capable of playing the PF spot.

Didnt they go to the same HS, or play against each other in HS???