From a bandwagon fan, what team to root in short-term?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by hifiPistons, Jan 20, 2014.

1. hifiPistons

hifiPistons Second Round Draft Pick

First of all, this is not a trolling post. For me bandwagon is just another term for casual. I had supported for Pistons until 2008 and then went on and off with following NBA in general. I have been back here for a while but the inconsistent result of this team bores me , so I'm looking for a new team to go back and forth. One thing to consider is I dont root for team with superstar (OKC, Heat,... ) nor in the West. I'm thinking about Raptors. Also, which team atm has the roster resembling Pistons' championship era?

Darth Tater likes this.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

3. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Feel free to watch other teams play but don't root for them. That's absurd.

I also have a big issue with plastic fans, as they are so prevalent in football (soccer not NFL) as well. Either support a team through thick and thin or don't support any at all. The emotional ups and downs are part and parcel, for me, of appreciating a sport even more. Hopping from winning team to winning team is empty and meaningless and in my mind, is not the example I would want to set for anyone.

Here is my counter-offer. Stop watching the Pistons lose games, but check the box scores after they do and maybe even drop in here occasionally and read why they are sucking. It is annoying and frustrating and makes me want to wrestle crocodiles, but its nice to be in the loop. Then, watch every game which has either Golden State, Portland, San Antonio and Phoenix in it to get your love of basketball back. When you are just enjoying the games, then you should start to watch the Pistons again, and just enjoy it because it is professional basketball. And every time we lose, just smile and think, at least we are not the Knicks.

S.J., J-Train, Darth Tater and 7 others like this.
  4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Every team will hype someone. We hyped Brandon Knight and Greg Monroe. These dudes ain't even stars much less super stars. Philly is intriguing like MTV real world vs the Pistons who are more like Kitchen Nightmares or Hoarders. We hoard cast off talent and try to field a team.

linwood likes this.
  5. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Reggie and the Pacers helped me through the Teal years...

6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pacers.

linwood likes this.
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well you all know me.....dedicated Piston fan since Jimmy Walker , Dave Debusschere and Dave Bing were losing in the late sixties.....got tons of Piston t-shirts and memorabilia dating back to the Bad Boy champs of 89 and 90. But sometimes if you move to another city, you can semi-root for another team if main squeeze is waivering.

Been living in SoCal since 1981, and yep and I was there in 1988 for three games at the Fabulous Forum when the Lakers stole that series from us and have hated the Lakers ever since. Cheered wildly much to my mother in-law's chagrin we took them out the next year and in 2004. (I did not go to any of the games in person)

Went to see the Pistons a couple of times in the 90's during the teal years. Attended every Piston-Clipper game from 2002-2011 at Staples center proudly dressed in my Piston gear and we were 8-2 during that period

However as the two teams started to go in different directions, I adopted the Clips as my secondary team to root for and some of you who are also my facebook friends have seen me post pictures of me and my wife at their games. (Plus my son works for the Clips).

When it comes to Pistons vs Clippers games....such as yesterday....I ALWAYS root for the Pistons first and foremost!! In fact I don't want to see the Pistons lose so I have avoided going to the games at Staples the past three seasons which means I will probably sit out the game here in March. When I feel we are competitive enough to win, then I will be back there in my Piston jersey....

So IMO, I don't think it's that wrong to have secondary team, as long as you still put the first team (PISTONS) first on head to head match-ups.

J-Train and Darth Tater like this.
  8. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Ofcourse it's not wrong to have a secondary team. You root for as many teams as you wish as long as you enjoy doing so. I have about 5 different favorite teams at the beginning of each NFL season and rarely the same 5 favorite teams at the end of the season.

I dropped the "you can only have one team in each sport" act somewhere around when I turned 16.

Darth Tater and coynejeremy like this.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I've been living in Chicago since 1999. I personally find it impossible to truly root for any of the teams here. Maybe if cable didn't exist I would have migrated over, but it's so easy to keep track of the Det teams.

Sports is like a soap opera. If you've ever tried watching a random college game with two mediocre schools that you know nothing about in a non tournament game, you realize that the actual underlying sport does not provide the interest. It's just the stage and the true intrigue comes from knowing the players and seeing the growth. The ultimate payoff comes from closely watching a team like the struggling Pistons until the point when they are back to contending status. 2004 was the ultimate when we all felt like we were World beaters and the National media underestimated us in favor of the flashy teams. Seeing that through was about as good as it gets as a fan.

Darth Tater likes this.
  10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

If you liked the 2004-2008 Pistons, you probably would enjoy watching the Spurs (yeah, they're still doing it) and the Pacers.

11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Take it from me, if you need go pick a new team to continue enjoying a professional sports league... Go Nike... JUST DO IT!!! Enjoy it as much as you can while you can.

Football, I would have a suggestion. Basketball... I'm blissfully ignorant. Wait... Except LeBron. Stay away at all costs ( although you could say he is the King... Of the band wagoners. :)

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Great post Panda. I don't ever remember seeing a post with so many " likes".

The Panda likes this.
  13. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons, then Milwaukee, then Washington. And Houston, then Cleveland. Toronto...

Mogilny likes this.
  14. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Spurs.

Pretty much any sport, I've always got a team in the opposite conference who I hope to see in the finals (nothing wrong with that!)

In hockey, now that the Wings are in the East, it's no doubt the Blackhawks. Love Scotty Bowman.

In basketball, definitely the Spurs. Have had so much respect for the entire organization since being beat in 7.

Baseball. Ugh. Cubs. That's my old man's fault. I'm kinda starting to pull for the Cardinals now too though. Loved LaRussa. The new manager is a former UofM player.

Football. This is my rule breaker. The Lions have been so irrelevant for so long that it hasn't mattered. I root for an NFC team second. 49ers. Loved Walsh. Loved Ricky Waters. Deion. Now UofM QB Harbaugh.