Fronting the Post

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by ahb, Jun 2, 2006.

1. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

When you get a slasher who is willing to bring the dirty laundry.
  2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

When the defensive man fronts on a post entry pass, it is up to the reamining four offensive players to clear out so the defensive player will have no help.

That is the reason for him to front, he is depending on help from his teammates. The problem with the Pistons is, they don`t move, they just stand around, the entry pass is forced resulting in a turnover!
  3. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

And we might add Tay in this mix.
  4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Too bad he's used like Ray Allen.:yellowprison:
  5. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Prince's habit isn't quite the same. Almost all of his post-ups come off switches on the pick and roll, where he backs down a point guard right to the rim for a layup or short hook shot. Rasheed tends to wait for a double-team to pass out of, and McDyess will go more quickly but is actually the best passer from the low post on the team, but Prince will either give up the ball immediately at the first sign of a double or spin baseline for a fadeaway that he hits about 20-25% of the time. Partially because he doesn't have a right hand, partially because he actually isn't a great passer, partially because he doesn't have a strong enough base to hold his position, and mostly because unlike our big man post players, his double-teams are coming from 7-footers rather than guards, Tayshaun is extremely ineffective at passing out of traps on the baseline. And, since he's rarely capable of posting up the forwards he's originally matched up with, he remains an opportunistic and undependable post scorer.

But because of his length, Tayshaun's actually the best at catching and finishing at the rim when he is fronted - although that's mainly because the passes are coming from the best entry passer on the team, Rasheed Wallace, over the top of a shorter forward and a guard.
  6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

There is an easy way to get Tay and Sheed involved. Their is just no way an average fan can know more than Flip S. Why can't he just coach this team to wins, and utilize his players correctly? It's his career!
  7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This whole situation is so aggravating. If the team sucked, it'd be one thing, but the team is capable, and talented. It's so obvious Flip has been in over his head for quite some time now. I still want him fired, but have lost hope that this will happen. I don't understand how Dumars doesn't see this and do SOMETHING about it. I'm starting to think he might be stupid as well.

We have the SAME problems over and over again. It's like banging your head against the wall. I really wish our players would be more vocal at this point.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't know why but that made me laugh. Frustrated fans come up with some funny stuff.
  9. chipi

chipi Second Round Draft Pick

This is precisely why I don't think bringing in new players or getting our young ones to play more (even though they should) is really going to help us any for the big prize. The coach has to go, because even with the best players at their position, you still need a capable system to go through the entire season, and more so in the playoffs. The players can win enough games on their own talent, but that will fail at some point in the playoffs as teams break down each and every play. Our former coach was able to get more out of the same set of core players, and this one gets each of them to degenerate further. And the real sad part is that we brought him in because he was supposedly an offensive genius.
  10. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

You mean this :frusty: ???

LB teaches players to play the right way at their position. Flip is the direct opposite. That is why Flip is such a :loser: . Enough said.
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm not sure what Joe's worst mistake was, drafting Darko and not playing him or hiring Flip and keeping him. We have a team of supposed allstars and Flip has still not figured out when or how to play them or his bench.

It just irks me that Phil Jackson can field a tream with such allstar scrubs as Mo Evans, Luke Walton, Andrew Bynum, Sasha something, Smush Parker, Brian Cook & Rony Turiaf and already have a record of 23-11.

Yeah sixteen of the W's were at home, but they have had key players like Kwame and Odom down and still have managed to pull out last second W's. Their defense is not the greatest, but despite playing second string players, they still get the job done offensively as they compliment Kobe, who trusts them more than he did two years ago.

This just means one thing that we all know. Phil can coach a bunch scrubs to a winning record and Flip has problems coaching real stars. Those Piston players coached their way to the 64 W's last year. Flip just left them in there too long and they burned out.

Wasn't Phil Jackson still available before we got hoodwinked into Flip?? :yellowprison:
  12. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I watched the Dallas/LA game last night and the Lakers play hard. Not only that, Phil throws any and everybody at the opposition, regardless of who that opponent is.

Remember in the 2004 Finals, Kobe`s last second shot won the only game for the Lakers, but if it wasn`t for a spark off the bench from Luke Walton, a rookie at the time it would have been a Detroit sweep.

I know Malone and Payton were injured, my point is would Flip have that confidence in a rookie? I doubt it, he would play CB, Tay or someone until they collapsed!
  13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I don't like him, but Phil Jackson would be a perfect coach for this team.
  14. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

I hated the guy too, but after going from LB to Flip, I have too much respect and awe for the great coaches to hate them.
  15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Dre, when the Pistons hired LB, Jackson had some derogatory remarks about Detroit... he didn't think Detroit was a good move for Larry (same year we kicked his ass :^)... safe to say Jackson would not have considered coming here.
  16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The 2004 Pistons players responded to Phils remarks. I recall there was some bad blood, but was it due to the Bad boy rep of 1991 when they walked off the court disrespecting Phils future champions and Phil still was thinking about that? Was it the rep that organization had with dumping players and coaches or was it just the Detroit envirionment?:stirthepot:
  17. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

I still remember the game in the Milwaukee series. There was three or four days until the next game. We were up by 16 for most of the game and Flip played Tayshuan for the first 21 minutes of the second half (after playing most of the first half without rest). I still think it was the game when he totally lost the team.