Frozen Bananas

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jan 3, 2009.

1. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

So is arnie a pharmacist? or what?

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Fruit Basket Designer. Joe finds talent in the neatest places.

3. discotom

discotom First Round Draft Pick

hehehe

4. detteam

detteam All-Star

Good post. I like Kander's naturopathic approach.

A couple of Arnie's other 'tricks'

Arnie Kander is smarter than you and I | Detroit Bad Boys

I have not heard of using alcohol-soaked towels for a fever before but I have worn vinegar-soaked socks with success.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He's doing humanity a great disservice by wasting all these miraculous remedies on a basketball team. Why doesn't he become a drug researcher and cure the common cold? He could probably do it in 30 minutes with only some apple cores and a jar of honey. He's like MacGyver.

Did you know that he has had the player wear magnetic ion necklaces?

And that is part of the reason for the huge bottled water industry, even though most of it just comes from a tap. People believe what they want to believe, especially when it comes to hard to discern health effects.

I guess we can conclude that the brain innovator didn't work.

Snake oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry to be such a hater, but I'm directly blaming Kander for Rip's torn groin, Dyess's bruised ribs, and Sheed's sore foot. Why didn't he see these injuries coming and stop them?

6. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

He's not Nic Cage and this isn't the movie "Next"? :confused:

7. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I find it kind of ironic TaShawn that in your criticism of folk wisdom you link us to the folk wisdom mecca...wikipedia. :stirthepot:

8. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

LOL!

People always hatin' on Wikipedia. :hoops:

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Nothing dangerous about this type of pseudo science being used to advise players to play through injury?

I know it feels good to believe, so I'll stop now.

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Wikipedia is a highly politicized information resource, with loads of errors.

It's probably fine for light research or casual introductions, but anything which is unsourced, should be discarded, and one should always check the talk pages, as there are literally dozens of mods who exclude information from the pages which offends their opinions or sensibilities.

I would never stake my reputation on Wikipedia alone.

11. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I thought we were talking about the vitamin and enzymatic qualities of banana skins, coupled with the fact that they are great natural electrical conductors. That's not pseudo science, it's measurable scientific fact.

I don't think anyone in this thread has accused Kander of being a great Mystic or Wushu master, well, aside from you.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I just quoted players and those from inside the organization.

The psuedo science is when you make the leap and say that putting electrical conductors on your crotch helps it heal. If you're looking for a good electrical conductor, why not just go with copper?

Or they could just borrow an E-meter from the local scientology testing center.

[​IMG]

I wonder if this is what Arnie does after everyone leaves...

[​IMG]

There, I'm back on topic.

13. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

So how does the body heal from injuries?
    Are there chemical processes involved?
    Are there bioelectrical ones as well?

14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

More importantly, do you have to hollow out the banana or just inhale really hard?

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yes there are chemical processes involved. That doesn't mean the answer is to throw chemicals on the injury.

In the same way, just because there are bioelectrical processes involved, it doesn't mean the anwer is to hook a conductor up to the injury.

Cloud Walker, is that a Native American name by the way? Didn't mean to offend you. Just having fun.

16. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I'm not offended at all. I'm neither a scientologist or a magic crystal guy, but I do understand that many of the chemicals and enzymes in plants have all been reproduced in laboratories to give us the over/behind the counter stuff we have today.

In other words, not only is it based in modern science, but modern science is based on it.
    If Richard is taking Ibuprofen he's basically "throwing chemicals on the injury", albeit in a diluted and inefficient sense, since he is distributing the chemical throughout his entire body.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Taking ibuprofen orally isn't inefficient at all. Ibuprofen is an NSAID which inhibits cyclooxygenase, which therefor inhibits prostaglandin synthesis. There are at least 2 variations of cyclooxygenase, and ibuprofen inhibits both types. It appears that its analgesic, antipyretic, and anti-inflammatory activity are achieved principally through inhibition of the second type; whereas inhibition of the first type is responsible for its unwanted effects on platelet aggregation and the GI mucosa. It's the kind of specific capabilities that bananas don't have on their resumes.

Google Arnie Kander magical and you'll get 3,470 hits. I just think he's a bit of a fraud and is reaping the financial benefits of convincing all the non-medical people that pay him that he is a medical guru of some type, when in reality he isn't. IMO, he's just a strength and conditioning coach that plays head games with the players as he tries to convince them that he's special.

I'll admit that his act works for him and for the team, because player like Dyess are afraid to leave him. Maybe Joe knows this.

The Panda likes this.
  18. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

TaS, You’re a stats/facts guy. I'd be curious to know how the Pistons rank in relation to players missing games due to injury since Arnie has been with the team.

I was a pre-pharm major in college (prior to switching) and I'd like to think I have a somewhat informed opinion on herbal and natural medicine. I think that what Arnie does most definitely works! His concoctions combined with his unique rehab and preventative techniques seem to be pretty proven and the players seem to dig it.

I'd even go far enough to say that Arnie is a contributing factor in the Pistons' ability to land/retain free agents.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm barking up the wrong tree here. People really like Arnie and people really like folk remedies. Who am I to suggest that a physical therapist shouldn't be administering brain tests and sticking bananas down people's underwear? I have no medical training either, so I'll admit that I'm out of my league here.

20. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

And yet it cannot replace the short term effects of plain old ice applied to the area, while it's chemical actions are dispersed throughout the entire body. Whether treating someones leg or someones arm, ibuprofen isn't site specific, therefore it isn't as efficient as site specific treatment in short bursts. Generally, all a chemical deluge for an extended period of time has been proven to do is facilitate a homeostatic reaction.

I am fully aware of this. That's why I feel that the dissemination of said information is getting sort of redundant here in a thread that isn't even really directly related to the specific treatment methods Arnie has taken criticism for.
    It's fairly common knowledge that Arnie Kander has a non-medical degree from Wayne State. I don't understand how you have come to the conclusion that he is being deceptive about his formal training. It is most definitely an informed decision on behalf of his employer both to retain his services and to keep him on staff.
    Yet in another persons opinion he may be instituting methods of Health Psychology into his everyday practices. It's not as if Arnie has convinced the front office to ditch MD's in favor of his miracle cures (they still have Robert Teitge, right?). Until he does this I'm not sure if I would place his beliefs or therapy methods quite on the same level of insidiousness that you seem to.