1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Frustrated Delfino *Article*

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Apr 13, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

FIBA.com

ARG - Frustrated Delfino wants to make Venezuela trip

DETROIT (FIBA World Championship) - Argentina guard Carlos Delfino is hoping he can play for his country in the South American Championships even if it means missing the NBA play-offs with the Detroit Pistons.

Argentina are due to compete in the Championships this July and the preparation schedule in the lead-up to the event would require Delfino to miss considerable time in what is expected to be a robust title-challenge from the Pistons.

The 23-year-old Delfino, who won Olympic gold with his country at the Athens Olympics, has no doubts about where he would rather be.

"I want to play for the national team," he said.

2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I Just Vant

Play National Team

Not Want

Splinter in pant

3. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Flip needs to play the fella.

And the way they wrote that article was deceiving. "even if it mean missing the playoffs..."

And then later he said he wants to play, but if Detroit goes to the finals it would be complicated.

So, basically he wants to play for Argentina, but knows he won't be able to do it if the Pistons run to the finals.

4. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

If he'd rather be on the national team than be on the ride for the title run, he needs to be shipped out after the season.

5. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

Many of the foreign players consider it the greatest honor to represent their country. If you were an American playing in Europe and you got an invite to play for the US team....would you leave? In a heart beat most of us would. On top of that you’re talking about not a bronze medal team (us) but a gold medal defending team.

6. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Delfino shows all out effort unlike his former cohort who collected splinter in his pant and then dogged it on the court.

Hey if Ben gets a pass for his refusal to go in the game I'm OK with Delfino whining to the foreign press about his lack of pt. Bottom line is that as Flip said ...he acts like he wants to be here unlike the "other guy"....

7. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Delfino and Evans make about the same, Flip likes Evans, but Delfino has more potential. Who goes? Cause clearly, one of them has to. Barring some great playoff performance by Evans, he's out of here, a la Curry and Darvin.

8. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

he said the Pistons have a selfish style of play. They don't pass the ball. He sounds like he misses LB, but how can that be??

9. ojay

ojay Second Round Draft Pick

Apparently this isn't the first time he said something "incriminating" to his hometown press, but he later cleared it up here in the media if I recalled correctly.

On top of that, I don't think the article is a great translation, but even if that's a good translation, I'm sure some local reporter will ask him about it and clear it up for all of us.

Whatever, just reading the quotes alone there's nothing we already know. The article could be taking something out of context.

That out of the way, he really gives insight about Flip's offensive mindset clashing with the hard-nosed Detroit defense.

And if you know anything of Delfino's scouting report (and see spurts of it here), he's a legitimate defender.

I really feel for the kid.

But he just vants to play.

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Sorry but this cat has never shown loyalty to this team.... it's something the Pistons are doing wrong instead of his play... You wanna play?... then buck up pal and be a difference maker.

11. Superstarov

I repeat, the way the article was written is misleading.

I gathered that he would like to play for the national team, but it would have to depend on how far the Pistons made it in the playoffs.

12. Superstarov

How has he not shown loyalty? By saying he'd like to play more.

By going home to a doctor who speaks the same language he does to get an opinon on an injury? If you remember, LB insulted his manhood when he did that. He could have exploded in the press, but he didn't.

And I really don't think that being the 4th guy off of the bench vs the 5th guy off of the bench is where coaches are looking for a difference maker.

13. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

The Pistons should just let Carlos go home and play for his national team. It is not like they need him or want him around anyway. It will make the post-season roster easier to formulate.

Ever since he decided to go home for a second opinion on his leg injury, instead of blindly playing through it and winding up like Grant Hill, he has not been accepted anyway.

Start off fresh again next year and see if he can make a better impression.

14. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

I feel bad for the guy. He obviously went away and worked hard on his defensive game to please his coach. Lo and behold the defensive minded coach is poof. In comes Mr Fire and Fallback who dosen't focus nearly as hard that end of the court. He has a right to be frustrated. :frusty:

Damned if you don't damned if you do.

15. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Carlos is exactly right here. These are the things I have been saying all year. Pressuring low-minute players to come in and score a ton of points out of the flow of the game is idiotic. All that is going to do is take a player out of their game. All Flip seems to care about is PPG from these guys. He doesn't want to see team ball or defense. Those are Delfino's 2 biggest strengths. Obviously it's not going to work because Flip won't give it a chance.

What Flip wants is 5 Tony Delk's coming off the bench. Guys who are good at coming into the game and immediately looking for their own shot. What he needs to realize is that there are other aspects to the game, and not every player on the floor needs to do that. It doesn't mean they can't have an impact though. IMO, a guy like Delfino is perfect next to Delk and Dice. Let Delfino do the dirty work and score in the flow while Delk and Dice fire away. I don't understand why this is so difficult for Flipper.

16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Last year is well documented... he threw a fit to the foreign press (no guts to do it here) about not making the playoff roster when it was obvious his lack of mobility would be a liability.... and now he's ok with leaving his team in a playoff run that pays his salary?
    Then "Playstation" blames the "selfish system" for him not getting more PT... sorry but we do expect you to score more like everyone else... I don't see other special attributes warranting more PT... he's an ok defender and he hasn't proven to be a setup guy.... IMO, he's getting the PT he deserves (only 4 less minutes than Evans).... he keeps forcing things to the rim that aren't there (king of getting stuffed).
    Sounds like someone that wants to blame others for his own lack of production... when he starts proving he deserves more minutes he may have a legit reason to meet with Flip behind closed doors (not the media) to express his displeasure... for now it's one bad offensive performance after another... shut the hell up and do something on the floor rookie.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

4 players this year have had a problem with Flip... Carlos Arroyo, Darko Milicic, Carlos Delfino, and Ben Wallace.

18. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Are we really this hard up for something to talk about?

19. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

http://www.ole.clarin.com/jsp/v4/pagina.jsp?pagId=1175917

Here's the original interview. I would suggest that people read it before jumping to whatever conclusions they're disposed toward. It presents a different picture than the translation and commentary in the English article.

He has several legitimate complaints, and several faults. I expect that he'll ask for (and get) a trade this summer. One of Flip's biggest failings.

20. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

bad translation

i think delfino hasn't learned the media system yet. some people think he runs to his home country press and whines. it's probably more like they ask him questions and he feels comfy with them and he answers them honestly. i also think it was a terrible translation.

i see the pattern though. young player just wanting to play. i think delfino lights evans up in practice when he gets more time instead of 3 minutes to put up some shots like in games. head to head i bet it's a clear example of who is better. i think flip just thinks evans and delk fit in to his system of shooting jumpers better than delfino does. delfino started instead of evans. the choice was because delk didn't want to start not because evans didn't want to start.

delfino will probably be moved in the offseason. then some posters will have to downplay the impact he has on another team to justify the way he was treated as a piston. our mistreatment of young talent has to stop.