Frustrated Delfino *Article*

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Apr 13, 2006.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Not really... I was looking for a reason to bring up Delfino's poor play... most folks want to give him a free pass ... where Evans gets raked thru the coals for bad games.
    Typically Delfino does nothing wrong no matter how much he sucks and it's usually the coaches fault (the guy with the best record in Piston's history)... just the way it is around these parts.... and it's wrong.
  2. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

usually winning makes people overlook a lot of the things coaches are doing wrong. lb did plenty of things wrong and it cost us a championship in our second year. lb cost us having a chance at keeping a lot of young players too. i'm just the type to not overlook wrong things just because a coach is winning currently. i want to win now and later and driving away young talent isn't the way to do it.

when ben spouts off he gets a free pass. in some circles he was even praised for it. when delfino gets a bad mistranslation he's not loyal. flip is very responsible for delf's bad play. you can't expect a player to be consistent if you aren't consistent with him.

evans does suck sometimes though. he still gets right back in the game where delfino is yanked and not given a chance when he does bad. i think that's what people complain about. it would be different if both were allowed to do bad but only evans is allowed to play himself out of it.
  3. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

* Evans is not given minutes and doesn't produce, but is clearly Flip's first option and is consistently played even when he doesn't play well.

* Delfino is not given minutes and doesn't produce, and is benched arbitrarily.

Both of them can go to hell as far as I'm concerned, but you're flat-out wrong. The progression is opportunity leads to (potential) production, not production "earns" opportunity.

Flip Saunders has done absolutely nothing to earn my trust, so until he gets some measure of credibility (i.e., a ring or two), I'm inclined to trust the players first. As they say, this is a player's league.

And I think you're overreacting. The Spanish interview presents a significantly different tone than the English article, and the only "complaining" I've seen is almost identical to "complaining" about the rotations from bench players you seem to trust more, including but not limited to Lindsey Hunter, Tony Delk, Mo Evans, Dale Davis, and Arroyo etc. Delfino isn't saying what you want him to, although I'm sure you have accurately identified his real point of view, which is why I expect he'll ask for a trade.
  4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Yeah I guess "selfish system" and not given minutes because he's not scoring wouldn't be considered complaining...

It's alright man... Delfino is god no matter what.
    whatever
  5. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

:amen::tsk:

Some of the comments were out-of-line. Others were completely on target. The majority of them have been taken completely out of context. I'm sorry that not all of it falls into a more convenient pattern.

Do you really deny that the "complaints" about Flip's substitution patterns aren't virtually identical to those made by other, non-"Euro" members of the bench?
  6. bball jay

it's not complaining when it's an accurate description. off the bench flip doesn't reward defensive presence. he doesn't reward setting up other players. he rewards scoring and individual plays. mo evans hasn't made anyone else better and delfino regularly gets other players shots. delfino regularly plays great d on great players.

you have a the coach is right no matter what attitude.
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

He'll get all the PT he can handle soon enough... let's see what he does with it... I hope he makes a statement... we certainly need a bump at that position....
    How come nobody (maybe one person) mentioned a pretty good game from Mo yesterday?... can only imagine if Delfno put up 13 shooting 5 for 6.
  8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Sorry I don't work that way... I blamed the Orlando loss on Flip (look it up).
    When Mo sucks... he sucks... when Sheed sucks he sucks... Ben, Chauncey... etc
    I sometimes defend Mo because of the beatdown he takes while Delfino gets a free ride.
    IMO I believe neither is the answer (see ahb we got something in common).
    Why not just call it the way it is instead of having certain pets that are faultless?
  9. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

He was 2-3 for 4 before ESPN decided that I'd be more interested in Wizards-Bucks and I went out for a meal. I did mention that he was having a better game than usual on another site, though; only one major defensive lapse. Looking at the boxscore it seems he had an even better game in garbage time. Good for him. I still want him firmly glued to the bench in the playoffs.

This isn't about Mo Evans, though, any more than it's about Tony Delk or Dale Davis. It's only tangentially about Flip Saunders (hire Eric Musselman!).
  10. bball jay

i believe delfino could be the answer. the difference between him and evans is that he isn't getting the oppurtunity to be the answer. you think delfino doesn't take beatdowns?? delfino used to be the default whipping boy last year. everyone thought he couldn't play then this year he changed lots of minds and all it took was some playing time.

i agree flip shouldn't have certain pets. evans must be sat down and delfino must be played.
  11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Hey bball,
    when was the last time you 've said Delfino or Darko had a bad game?
  12. max

max All-Star

Lets give him the benifit of doubt for now and see how he handles it. If he has not made any requests to leave during the Finals then thats it.

Could be he made himself avail to the Arg coach only if the Pistons did not advance. In that case there is nothing wrong with having it as a backup plan.

Does not look like a straight article. Filled with the Authors opinons and assumptions. That author wants Delfino to play for the national team so thats how he wrote it.

On his frusteration. He is getting better at venting. This was nothing compared to what he said last season.
  13. bball jay

they have had lots of bad games. i just think there is a reason why behind some of thier bad games. i don't think it was as simple as them not stepping up and making plays. i think neither of them were put in a position to be successful as pistons thus the view of thier play is distorted for some people.
  14. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

Mercury, what the F is wrong with you? You are such a goon.

So Delfino sucks? Find a new hobby- bashing the foreign players should be getting old for you by now.

Ben Wallace doesn't score, Lindsey Hunter doesn't score, why does Delfino have to score?
  15. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Sorry, but this is Mo's normal pattern. He's always great when the pressure's off (blowouts, against the bobcats/hawks/etc), then when we actually need him to come up with something he falls flat. This is well documented. Mo Evans can't matchup with the superior talent of the players we'll be seeing in the playoffs. Delfino can because he actually has a prayer at defending them.

When Delfino has poor games, it's when he has poor shooting games (usually with 2 or 3 shots). He does all of the other stuff you could ask from him on a consistant basis. He defends, he keeps the offense flowing by making the right passes, he rebounds, and he brings energy. There is an obvious double-standard when it comes to these players. Lindsey Hunter can chuck up bad shot after bad shot and shoot 30% on the year, as long as he brings the defense and energy he still plays game after game (which I am all for, I can appreciate these things). Delfino does similar things with a slightly more consistant offensive game and he rarely sees the floor outside of garbage time.

It's the same story, all of the Delfino "haters" (Flip, I'm talking to you) need to realize there's more to the game than just putting points on the board. Let Delk and Dice take care of that. That's their specialty. But you also need players who can do the little things that don't win box score awards, but win games. Guys like Lindsey Hunter, Ben Wallace, and Tayshaun Prince. Carlos is one of those guys.
  16. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Better get your last volleys in boys, cause this debate will thankfully become MOOT in a few more days. :)
  17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

That would require observation (watching games) in addition to thinking (trying to process what is going on in the game) . Too much work for bball and the gang. They want the thought-free process.

If one of their boys has a good game...it's a great game and shows what true p-word they have.

If on the other hand he has a bad game..it's because he hasn't had a fair chance to play and the coach is against him and can't see his true p-word.

Any of us could write up bball's thoughts on a game...it's like a formula for a romance novel. You have the good guys and the bad guys. The bad guys are always bad and the good guys are always good. Women love those books. You always know what you are going to get. No surprises. No thinking required (or punctuation).
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Perhaps your pal from Flint should be a romance novelist...
  19. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

My pocket protector, ambidextrous tennis playing, Crim running, cat greiving pal from Flint would be a great romance writer...and every one would start with..."hi"
  20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I had a funny response to your post, but I better bite my tongue. Last time, I got banned from pf.com for a month when posting on this topic.