Frustrated Delfino *Article*

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

3 things:

1. like max said, the author is obviously slanting the article
    2. delfino is not as good as most of you want to believe
    3. evans is not as bad as most of you want to believe
  2. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

It seems like everyone on this board really likes Defino and thinks he's better then Evans. IMO I think Evans really plays his heart out and does whatever he can for the team. I always see him chasing down the balls, saving it from going out of bounds, and has come up with a few good steals. I haven't really seen anything good from Delfino, and when he actually did get some playing time, when he started, he didn't do squat. He forced up horrible shots that got blocked and really didn't make an impact. I think Flip plays Evans more then Delfino becuase Evans gives more effort.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yep. I thought it was two months though. How did you sneak back!? :doh:

ain't no one ever been banned (yet) and hopefully never

HELLO, IDISTANCE!
  4. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

:pop2: :pop2: here's my q?...Grant Hill for two years Or Delfino? cuz delk WILL re-sign for next year.. and after we win title, Chauncey and rip will love thismy bruddahs!
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I can't believe that they didn't think that the NBA Finals may interfere with International basketball when they set up that schedule.

There is no way that Ginobili is going to skip out.
  6. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

thats ...why...i ..posed...the q?
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Dude you better check yourself... like right now.
    You wanna get into name calling... %%%%%!
  8. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

i hate last minute wannabees, Merc...chill..and let the butt hole go!! My Bruddah!!!:doh: :laugh:
  9. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

I'm done with this thread. A whole bunch of prior judgments on all sides and mostly people ranting past each other. No point in stating the same arguments over and over again (even if Mo Evans is garbage).

But this is interesting:
    While I fully expect Delfino to be traded, Grant Hill is an unacceptable choice. He should retire and probably will, but even if he does drag his broken body around pimping his services to contenders, there is no way Joe Dumars should make a play for him. None.

As for a full-time, veteran, 3 to replace "the Euro" and "the Mo-mentum killer", there are a couple of possibilities that interest me. One of them is Morris Peterson, who's probably best suited for a 7th-man-on-a-championship-team role. He went to Michigan State, though, which is unfortunate. I'd even be half interested in Jerry Thughouse, half because I'd want to find out whether he'd attack another teammate or go Sprewell on Flip first.
  10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

good post, A...those options are very interesting~!!!
  11. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

So, you want to go after 2 players that are under contract next year? We don't even have Darko anymore so we don't really have any tradeable assets worth anything.
  12. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Expiring contracts, or just wait a year. Your point about tradeable assets is well taken.
  13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Mo over Mo?
    Yeah that would work nicely... Mo Pete's still signed for next year.... It's likely the Raps would trade him if they want to go for a bigger fish (concerned Mo would demand more than the MLE)....
    We'd have to give them an expiring (D.D.) and a pick (our own next year?)

I'll try not to bring up the sacred Delfino again...free pass from here on.
  14. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Okay guys, so as some of you know, this is actually right up my professional alley: I'm a professor at U of M: my specialty, Argentine literature and culture. So I've taken the liberty of doing a translation (fairly literal) of the original article from _Clarin_ (which is one of the two major dailies in Buenos Aires, the capital of the country).

For now, I'll just give you the translation: maybe later I'll give you my gloss (but I can't resist saying this: if i'd only read the original article in Clarin, I really wouldn't see what the fuss was. everything he says seems like the most natural thing in the world for someone in his position to be saying.)

Here's my rendering of the interview into English:

“To play I’d have to be more selfish”

Delfino believes that to get more minutes, he should shoot and score more. At the same time, he suffers a contradiction: “I’m privileged, though I need to play. I’m okay, but I don’t want another year like this.”

Julian Mozo jmozo@ole.com.ar

Both feelings live within him. After a weak rookie campaign, with an injury that required two operations and a conflict with head coach Larry Brown, Carlos Delfino needed to feel healthy and valued. And he achieved that this season in Detroit. His level of play when he got into games has even been enough to generate debate among fans and journalists about why the forward doesn’t play more. On that side of things, the kid feels content. He knows he is privileged, that he is in the NBA and, no less, on last year’s second place team and the favorite for this year’s title. But, at the same time, he’s 23 years old, plays only a little (10 minutes) and hasn’t succeeded in winning the confidence of Flip Saunders because he is only sometimes part of the rotation (he’s the 10th man). And the contradiction appears in every response he gives to Olé and if it is true that he doesn’t want to sound bitter or polemical, his sincerity reveals the truth.

---What’s the bottom line?

---It’s positive. It’s been a long time since I’ve felt so good physically. I’ve no more soreness and I’m calm. And even if I haven’t played much, I have played.

---But…

---And… I’m not desperate, but I’m not having fun. I play for that, and for now I can’t. But even so, I’m okay.

---There are people and journalists that want you to play more. Why isn’t it happening?

---this head coach is very offensive minded. So much so that we forget a little bit about defense… Saunders pays a lot of attention to the attack, to points. I’d have to come in and shoot more, but it’s hard for me to get into that selfish mindset that is so common here. I prefer to pass the ball and it should be the opposite. Here, if you come in for 4 or 5 minutes, and you don’t make any baskets, you come out…

---I’ve read that Saunders has more confidence in Maurice Evans, whom he asked for.

---No. Until Tony Delk arrived, we both played. But Delk was added and they put him as a shooting guard. And there are fewer minutes left.

---Saunders asked you to shoot more. Didn’t that turn out? Is that why Delk arrived?

---No. Delk arrived as a reserve guard, as part of the trade for Arroyo. They weren’t looking for a shooter. But it is true that I’m not comfortable as a shooter, being on the wing waiting for the last three seconds of the possession. I’m not a shooter, I don’t feel it. I don’t play comfortably, they know that my thing is the ball, penetrating, and dishing. But I make an effort and I adapt, I always help in whatever way I can. And I’m trying not to mess up the rhythm

---It’s an apprenticeship as a professional, no?

---One always learns something. These things make you tougher and a better professional. One knows how to handle oneself.

--What’s do you need to do for Saunders to play you more?

--Nothing. I give a 100 %, but it is difficult without continuity. I have a good game and then I go three games without playing. He tells me “be ready, today you’ll play,” and nothing. I know that I have to be ready but it’s not so easy to deliver when he expects it.

---How would you analyze your performance in 2005-06?

---It was good. Though I didn’t have a lot of minutes, every time I got in, I tried hard to deliver.

--In what ways?

---On defense. Larry Brown stuck me with the “no defense” label, and I think I shed that. On the team, when they are looking for a perimeter defender, there’s Prince, Hamilton, and me. I’ve defended well against guys like Prince and Wade. And they have recognized that change.

---I read that the front office wanted to see you play more. Did Dumars tell you that?

---There’s a lot of talk about the subject, as about every thing that occurs on the team. Here they are looking for perfection and nothing is acceptable short of being champions. Dumars always says that wants me here. In fact, there were two teams interested in a trade and he turned them down. He asked me and I told him that I wanted to finish the season here and then see during the off season. I’m looking for a chance, to be a champion here. That for sure, another year like this: I don’t want….

---For now, you are tolerating it.

---For now, yes. I know that I’m young and I’m living a dream. I’m in a position that everyone wants and I’m still learning. That keeps me going, waiting for my chance because I think I still haven’t gotten it.

----Do you think the chance will come with the Pistons?

---I’d bet yes, let’s hope…. Here I don’t feel devalued (disrespected) or as extra, I see that they have confidence in me, but I also say that I want to play.

---You don’t see yourself sa the new Milicic?

---I don’t think so. Darko was never in the rotation. Still, I still believe in what they tell me here, I’m optimistic. I hope to be a starter on Detroit, the future will decide.
  15. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Thanks very much, scolas.
  16. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Evans play is not the issue with Delfino. Delfino says himself that he is not comfortable as a scorer but he has shown tough defense. He should be used defensively this year. What the Pistons have needed for some time now is points off of the bench. Dyss is not enough. Luckily, Delk is providing some of that. Delfino is not experienced enough to be given major ball handling roles in the playoffs. Our window of opportunity for a title may only be two years, maybe three if we are lucky. Then, we go back into the pack as our bigs age. Experimenting with a 23 year old handling the ball is too risky.
  17. ojay

ojay Second Round Draft Pick

The translator sucks.

scolas covered it as well, and here's even more proof:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=862944&postcount=16

BTW, %%%% all who doubted this kid. He honest and he's showing professional poise. Having a %%%%ty translator doesn't help either.
  18. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I agree that Delk and Dice bring what is really needed right now off the bench. But there will be minutes there at the small forward that someone will play. If Flip puts Rip there in the playoffs (tiny-ball) I guess I won't really care, and I won't criticize him for not playing Carlos. But if he plays Mo Evans there (outside of garbage time), then I definately will have a problem with it.
  19. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Thanks Scolas

Seems to me that Delfino has an accurate understanding of his current situation and how it was impacted by the coaching change. It also sounds like he doesn't expect to fit-in in the future.
  20. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Mods: feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place or too inflammatory.

This whole episode really pisses me off. And not because of Delfino. It's much bigger than Delfino and much bigger than sports. It pisses me off because what happened here is just an instance of what happens everyday in the US media. We get garbled, twisted half truths from other parts of the world, spun to incite panic and unthinking reaction. And of course (if my experience with Michigan undergraduates is any indicator), most people aren't even aware that it's like that, and if they are, they are either not interested in, or don't know how to, track down original, alternative news reports (even when these are written in English).

As a result, we as a public wind up in worst possible position: taking extreme and extremely uninformed positions (with a great deal of conviction), and usually with a lot more on the line (like lives) than the playing time and eventual fate of a basketball player.

I was, however, heartened that some folks on the forum cared enough to try to read critically and to dig a little to see what might be going on beyond the b.s. they were being fed as news.

Just had to vent that...