Frustrated Delfino *Article*

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Apr 13, 2006.

1. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

excellent job scolas! :)
  2. crastinator

crastinator First Round Draft Pick

Um, Scolas are you sure you're qualified for this?

hee hee, as a grad student and wannabe scholar myself I love it when our training can be used for real life applications rather than just, y'know, academic discourse.

I read the article in Spanish before I got to your (perfect as far as I can tell) translation so thank you for posting it as I don't have to make the case for what so obviously was not just a bad translation of language, but of content and intent as well.

What I can add is that when Delfino says "I’d have to come in and shoot more, but it’s hard for me to get into that selfish mindset that is so common here" (qtd in Scolas 2006), I read the "here" as the NBA rather than Detroit. Remember he is explaining this to people in another country rather than another NBA town. That's my 2 cents.
  3. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

KEYWORD - IF
  4. max

max All-Star

I am posting this in from the detnews forum where a member Frank27 translated the article. Hopefully the modds are cool with it.

If I want to play more, I need to be selfish Carlos Delfino believes he needs to throw more and score more if he wants to add minutes to his playing time. But he sees a contradiction: I'm a gifted but I need playing time. I'm tranquil, but I don't want another year like this one. The two feelings live in him. After a lazy first season with an injury that sent him to two surgeries and a fight with former Pistons coach Larry Brown, Delfino needs to feel healthy and valuable. And he gets it this season with Detroit. His playing level is so good every time he is in the court, that fans and reporters are debating why the shooting guard is not playing more.

- Balance for you is positive?

- Yeah, is positive. I'm healthy. The injury is not affecting me and I'm tranquil. I' m not playing too much but I played.

- But& - And& I'm not desperate, but less I'm doing is enjoying. I play for this, right now, I can't. Equal, I'm tranquil.

- Some fans and reporters request more playing time for you. Why you are not playing more?

- This coach is an offensive coach. He is so offensive minded that many times we forget defense. Saunders looks much the offense, the points. I will need to be in court and throw more but this selfish mentality that is common in NBA is not for me. I prefer to make a pass and I will need to be totally different. In NBA, if you are 4 or 5 minutes in court and you don't score, you will be sitting down.

- I read that Saunders has more confidence in Maurice Evans. - No. We were playing before Delk arrival. Delk is playing point guard and shooting guard and minutes are less. - Saunders requested you be a shooter? You don't do it good? That's reason to add Delk? - No. Delk comes as a backup point guard after Arroyo trade. Pistons don't want a shooter. But is true that I don't feel comfortable as a shooter, in a side waiting the last three seconds of a possession. I'm not a shooter, I don't feel it. My game is with the ball, penetrates and gets the basket. But I make an effort and help in all possible ways. And I think I'm not doing badly. - Is learning as a professional? - Every day you learn something new. These things make you stronger and you grow as a professional. - What you need to do so you can get more minutes from Saunders? - Nothing. I give maximum, but is hard when you have inconsistent minutes. I have a good game and later I don't play the next three. He says to me: be ready, today you will play and nothing. I know that I need to be ready but is not easy do a nice job when he waits for it.

- How you analyze your job in 05-06?

- Was good. I don't play many minutes but every time I played, I do my job.

- In what aspects?

- In defense. Larry Brown put me the label don't play defense, I believe I took this label out. In the team, when you want defense in the perimeter you find Prince, Hamilton and me. I played good defense against guys like Wade and Prince. And they recognize me the change.

- I read management wants to see you playing more. Dumars said it to you?

- In Detroit talks a lot about, same with everything that happens with the team. Pistons look for perfection and don't accept less than championship. Dumars always say he wants me. By the way, two teams were interesting in a trade but Dumars said no. He asked me and I answered that I wanted finished this season in Detroit and in summer see what happens. I want the chance to be champion in Detroit. But, another year like this one, I don't want it. - You accept what's happening? - For now, yes. I'm young and I'm living a dream. I'm in the place everybody wants and I'm in a continuous learning. That's make me feel alive, waiting for my opportunity because I think that, until now I don't receive it. - You think this opportunity will come with Detroit? - I bet to a yes. I hope. In Detroit I think that I have a value as player, I feel they have confidence in my game but also I say that I want to play. - You don't see yourself as the new Milicic? - No, I don't. Darko was never in the rotation. I have confidence in what they are saying to me. I'm an optimist. I want to be a starting five in Detroit. Time will say.

[ros36:cleaned it up a little]
  5. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

No guts to do it here? He's a poster boy down there, and they probably call him all of the time asking him for sound bytes, and then we get a hold of them once their taken out of context. "Carlos, how do you like playing in Detroit?" "Playing? I wish I was playing more, but..." Oh yeah, he must be a cry baby.

He's okay with leaving his team in a playoff run? Merc, I expect better from you. Did you read the article, or just the teaser that was posted? He said it would depend on how long the Pistons played. The writer of the story said he wanted to leave to play. Come on Merc, don't let the media manipulate you.

He said: "I need to come in and shoot more, but I'm finding it very difficult to get used to the selfish mentality here," Delfino said. "I prefer to pass the ball and here, if you enter for four or five minutes and don't score, you're out of the game." ~ I see that as his saying, 'I'm frustrated because I'm really trying and can't figure out why I'm not playing, I thought about it, and it may be because I don't shoot enough, but I've never really been a big time scorer, so I don't know what I need to do to contribute. I could come in like some guys and throw up threes, but that's not my style.'

And I'm not sure if you've noticed, but when the bench players are in, Flip doesn't run plays for them (Dyess and Delk aside). As a matter of fact, they look more like they're playing a pick-up game than an NBA game.

And if you missed it, an American journalist broke it all down into nice bite sized pieces for you: Link It's at the bottom of the page.

So, the coaches of both teams, as well as Carlos himself, already know that he has contract obligation that won't allow him to do it, even if it was his desire, which isn't what that OLE article was saying anyway.

"Carlos, all of Argentina wants to know, do you want to play for the national team this summer?"

"Well, I would really like to, but it depends on how far Detroit makes it in the playoffs."

Equals:
    HEADLINE~ DELFINO WANTS TO PLAY FOR THE NATIONAL TEAM!!!
  6. max

max All-Star

Thanks Scolas. Did not see yours before I posted that choppy translation.
  7. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Folks, if you take one lesson away from this whole thing, please make it this one: Don't base your opinion on an unverified translation - especially one from an online translation engine.

My wife worked on the development of freetranslation.com, one of the most popular translation engines. She says it's scary just how many errors even the most advanced technology makes, and she starts every year telling the kids in her French class that they won't be able to get away with using it. But they keep trying anyway. One idiot in another class got so mixed up, he turned in a German report for Spanish -- turned out he'd fed the English into the wrong translator, and didn't know the difference. :)
  8. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

:laugh: That's hilarious! I wonder if he could even tell the difference between these two (not that they mean the same thing):

Monty Python:

"Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja!...
    Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!"

Richie Valens:

"Para bailar la Bamba se necesita una poca de gracia
    una poca de gracia y otra cosita ay arriba y arriba"

German, Spanish, whatever, who can tell...:)
  9. max

max All-Star

Lanier - yes I quickly found out how bad translators were last year.

In this case it was translated by a reporter from that foreign press with an agenda.
  10. max

max All-Star

I actually can read German for the most part. Yes its nothing like Spanish.
  11. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Ich möchte ein grosse bier, bitte.
  12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Grosse bier was the only German phrase we learned when we were in Switzerland.
  13. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! SO they want him to be more agressive offensively, but he has taken pride in defense and moving the ball around. Flip has taken Ben out of the offense. Hopefully they played that way to win the regular season. The defense and Delfino should be present to win this title.
  14. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

"Ein quittung, bitte" is a lifesaver when you're on business in Switzerland. That gets you a receipt -- and when it's 80 bucks for a taxi ride, you sure do want a receipt.
  15. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

So frustrating. Carlos isn't exactly putting up a battle for this rotation spot. Looks like he left his confidence in Argentina, and he looks like he's trying to play like Tony Delk instead of playing his game.
  16. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

yeah, this is really sad to me. maybe it's premature, but i'm afraid that he's starting to slide into the vicious cycle: spotty minutes --> ebbing confidence --> poor play --> fewer and fewer minutes.

the only thing that gives me hope is that he is at least still playing hard and, on defense, he's still playing intelligently in my opinion. but on offense, he's just about lost it. the only bright spot was the nice lay up off the break. maybe if he saw a little more time with the starters on the floor and was able to fill a lane on the break more often that might help. but he's got to get out of his own head too, like roscoe was saying on the chat: he's thinking too much.
  17. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I applaud Delfino for his maturity and his attention to defence and TEAM ball, rather than individual stats.

Tonight's game against the Raps was a PERFECT example of how poorly this team is coached. The bench had absolutely zero chemistry. Zero offensive flow. Zero communication and zero attention to D. All they care about is jacking up shot after shot. But who is to blame, the players or the coaches? From the sound of it, its a matter of self preservation for the players. Either they shoot every change they get, or they sit on the bench. Forget about showing effort on D, just let your man blow by you for an uncontested layup and fly down the court so you can be ready to score at the other end. Flip will never take you out of the game!

As Delfino has said, either you look to score or you sit. Not everyone has to be a scorer to be effective. Just ask a guy named Ben Wallace.

I think Delk can be a very important part of our bench, but all the guy does is look to jack up a shot every single time down the court. People have been lamenting the loss of Mike James, but I think we've found his replacement, minus the ability to play PG or D.

Flip quite obviously does not play to his players strengths. Something that he said he does at the very begining of the year. He also says he's going to play the bench, even telling the players themselves that they're going to go, and then does the exact opposite.

I think what this team really needs is to combine the DNA of Flip Saunders and Larry Brown to produce Flippy Brownders, super coach.
  18. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Obviously there's no denying that it got really ugly out there in the 4th quarter, but let's also remember that no team assembles its bench with the intention of having them all play together for extended minutes with no starters on the floor. Almost no teams will look good if you put their #7 through #12 guys out there together for almost an entire quarter.

I think the bench has been quite good in the last few weeks, i.e. in games that actually mean something, and with player rotations that were much closer to what we'll see in the playoffs. Certainly the bench play has improved from some rough stretches earlier in the season, and with Delk being nicely integrated into the offense from day 1. So I think Flip deserves more credit for that than he does blame for the (admittedly awful) 4th quarter last night, which I don't see as being very relevant to the upcoming playoffs.
  19. linwood

linwood All-Star

LOL! Flippy Brounders, Super Coach!
  20. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

four numbers for u...6 6 - 1 5!!!!HA!