Full-blown Mutiny Ahead ?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by chipi, Jan 18, 2007.

1. chipi

chipi Second Round Draft Pick

From today's Daily Dime:

<start of excerpt>

And before we get to a dissection of Webber's game, including the flat arc on his jumper, his slow feet on defense and the absence of anything remotely resembling a sprint from a pair of legs that had been resting for nearly a month, we're going to change the subject to what appears to be a growing note of discord and disharmony -- aw, heck, let's just call it hate -- between Rasheed Wallace and coach Flip Saunders.

At one point late in the third quarter during a timeout, nearly everyone on the Pistons' bench turned and stared at Sheed as he prematurely broke from the huddle and walked to the scorers' table to await the resumption of play.

Now Wallace has been doing this for years, but on this occasion, judging from the looks on the Pistons' faces, there was more to it. Webber even walked over and said something to Wallace, who replied with a shake of the head and the type of disgusted look you get from someone who doesn't want to be told to calm down or to make peace.

"You know, we've got to be smarter. We've got a lot of games that we've given points away with technical fouls down the stretch, and we've got to bite our lip. I'd say in most games where we've gotten technical fouls, we've lost. And in games we haven't gotten them, we've probably won. And in close games, you can't afford that. You just have to bite your lip and let it go, and we're not doing that," Saunders said.

It should be noted that Saunders made that comment unsolicited as he closed his postgame press conference.

Wallace did not comment after the game, although he did throw out the word "quagmire" with an f-bomb modifier to no one in particular as the media waited by Webber's locker.

<end of excerpt>

So are the Pistons planning to dump the remaining member of the Wallace Brothers, or the Coach ?

And if they choose to do nothing, how are the three captains planning to deal with this ? I can see Chauncey as someone completely enamored with Flip's system, and Flips' fate may be entwined with his own over the summer, so Joe's got some hard work ahead. And Tayshaun and Rip speaking out against Sheed (who in hindsight has been working hard to create trouble for a while now) a couple of weeks ago may indicate that they do not plan to join the Mutiny at this point.

Regardless, it seems like the imminent demise of the Fab-Four (or Four and a half, based on Webber's gimy knee); something's got to give...
  2. dozero

dozero First Round Draft Pick

I'll run with this! I stated some time ago that with Ben leaving the "playing for the check" Sheed would show up and there would be no one to keep him focused. Sheed strikes me as a very spoiled, self serving person and it's starting to show. As talented as he is, I'd still trade him right now if able. Give me a post player and/or a slasher.

Are the other players backing Flip? I don't know. But as much as I don't care for Flip, it's gotta be hard to do this thing when your 4 and 5 spot, for one reason or another, aren't giving you what you need.

Something better happen soon, because we're looking more and more vulnerable by the game. I'll hold my tongue until after the trade deadline.
  3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Interesting thread. With Amir and Maxiell waiting in the wings, why not get rid of Sheed? People will say that those two aren't ready to step into the starting lineup yet. Well, too bad. Actually, I think Sheed can right his ship if Flip is eradicated. As far as Chauncey liking Flip's system, maybe this is a factor in re-signing him. If Flip goes, maybe Chauncey does, too.

But I don't think there is a mutiny ahead. The guys know Sheed's a loose cannon. I don't think they will follow him.
  4. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Problem at the top?

Soloution:
    Fire the people at the bottom. :frusty:
  5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Screw Flip. Get rid of him. He's the problem.
  6. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Firing the coach is sometimes the easiest solution but it just masks the problems that are still festering. The Pistons are not a team of malcontents and bad eggs and I think this will be a team to beat once Webber jells and Joe finishes trading off one of the big men. Flip Saunders is not a yell and scream kind of coach but more of a genial let the player's run things and make good decisions with his gentle coaching in the background. Good for Flip for benching Sheed last night after his technical but he needs to put the emotion and joy back into Piston's basketball. With Chauncey back at the helm the Pistons will go back to their winning ways and I think Flip should have until the end of this season to put together a productive championship drive. Firing your coach before even mid-season is not going to work even with Terry Porter in the wings. The players should just grow-up and realize they are pretty blessed to be able to do something every night (play pro basketball) that mere mortals only dream of, and get paid well to do it. I don't see a mutiny and I would be disappointed if there was one brewing because the coach should be respected or else you have anarchy.
  7. dozero

dozero First Round Draft Pick

Sounds good in theory, but they are only human. Bound by the same character flaws as you and I. Sheed is just being Sheed. Sure, he may be hurting, but it's up to the coach to make the hard decisions and bench him if it's hurting the team. Rotate the other bigs: Webber, Dice, Naz, Davis and Max and when Sheed comes back, get them to buy into playing 20/20/10 hard core minutes (RW/CW 20, AM/NM 20 and DD/JM 10). We'll deal in the off season.