Garnett & the Timberwolves

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LA Sam, Sep 24, 2005.

1. LA Sam

LA Sam Second Round Draft Pick

Kevin Garnett has been training his tender knees by running in sand in Malibu, Calif. The 7-footer, who has added muscle this summer and is up to a career-high 253 pounds, is expected to play more power forward than small forward this season. When Garnett was drafted by the Timberwolves in 1995, he weighed 210 pounds.
    -- St. Paul Pioneer Press

This is both interesting and sad. Sam Cassell is replaced by Marko Jaric, I like Marko, but that's a severe downgrade. Then they pickup Nikoloz Tskitishvili..... why? So the only other player of note there is Wally "Serving Crack"(Szczerbiak), as the second option to Garnett?

I think the Wolves have imploded, and Garnett is in danger of twiddling away the peak years of his prime. He made a big mistake when he resigned with those clowns out of misguided loyalty.

I think the Wolves would be better served by starting all over, and rebuilding to deliver a team of the future. It would be lovely if Joe Dumars could figure out a way to help make that happen.

I'll leave it for the capologists to figure, but Garnett is one of the very few players that I would give up Sheed & Darko for, and I'd do it and never look back. I know it's been discussed before, but with this season getting close to starting, and Minny heading for another fall. Is it time to think about courting Garnett early and often to plant the seed? Hey, everybody has a wet dream once in awhile.

2. Big C

Big C First Round Draft Pick

3. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

Starting over? That's probably the WORST idea that the T-Wolves can come up with. Garnett is an amazing player and the team drafted him a long time ago, making him their franchise player, and through all these years they've stuck with him as much as he's stuck with them.

This kind of loyalty is rare, I don't find it misguided or foolish. They are committed to revolving a team around Garnett and whatever he wants, I'm pretty sure he can get (as long as its realistic and attainable). The T-Wolves are only a few roleplayers away from being a real threat in the West and it wasn't too long ago that everyone was expecting them to take the West by surprise over the Lakers.

4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Sam,
    I think you're right about the TWolves getting ready for a rebuilding project.
    I think by mid year they're gonna reevaluate their chances of competing... KG is not going to accept the prospects of being out of the playoffs for the near future.
    The Twolves need to look at their chances of obtaining real talent to compliment KG... which isn't looking good right now.... If KG starts pressing for a trade they may consider a Herschel Walker type deal to get some solid young talent....
    KG has about 4 more years in his prime... tick toc.

5. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

can't see Garnett leaving...

..unless he starts complaining.

Outside of Garnett they have nothing..and if they had to rebuild the team you couldn't rebuild with a better player.

They are better off trying to restructure Garnett's deal...a la Shaq to see if they can bring on some more talent. But, what talent? Unfortunately, I'm not very optimistic at this point that Garnett will get an opportunity to really win while he is still in his prime.

I am definitely from the train of thought that I would trade for Garnett in a heartbeat!

6. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

G-Unit

Yes, Garnett, whoever can get him will be a contender in a heartbeat.

That is why it would be good for us to try and trade for him. Yes, Darko and Sheed will be good for me as well.

That is also why it would be foolish for the Twolves to trade him.

Kobe and G-man? That would indeed be scary. But the Twolves would probably ask for Kobe if they were to trade for him. Hahaha, I don't know Lamar Odom doesn't quite measure up to KG. But, the Wolves could bite. Hmmm, come to think of it......Jeez, get on the phones JOE!!!! Get KG before the Lake Show does! :eyebrows:

7. rdang

Garnett's already taken a paycut to bring in the greedy Spree and Cassell. I don't see how it'll be possible to mess around with his contract anymore.

Maybe loading more of the contract towards the end of his career? But who'll want him then?

I hope Garnett gets one ring. I always liked him better than Malone and I'd hate to see him go without one and be stuck in the same position Malone was in.

8. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Yeah, you're right. I forgot about that. Poor guy, he's done everything humanly possible for that franchise to be successfull. I feel for the dude. If he came to Detroit, could you imagine him with Ben? WOW! That would get my vote for most intimidating, dominating defensive front of all-time.

9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

You know what KG also has done for that franchise sucked up all there money, he had the biggest pay in the NBA I remember it was a lot of money too.

10. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

I agree

That is one thing that always bugged me about KG. Everyone always says how sorry they feel for him and how he deserves a ring, but they never point out that his HUGE CONTRACT is the biggest obstacle in bringing in talent to fill out the roster. KG earns ALOT. It's not easy to get another quality player when one guy grabs 60% (I'm not sure of the actual #) of your cap.

There is a reason why KG hasn't had alot around him and he was a big part of it.

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Don't forget that while KG plays big, he's a lousy leader and known for being a guy to cause ruckus in the locker room. He's legendary for hating Wally Sczerbiak. Not exactly a "team chemistry" kind guy.

12. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Don't forget

Don't forget that story that came out last training camp (I think it was last year) about KG punching Rick Rickert in the face and breaking his nose. KG is all peaches and pudding. I've never bought that "he is a nice guy who had such a hard life, so he deserves a ring" bit.

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Someone said they wanted KG to get a ring. Screw that I say all the rings should come to the Pistons.

14. rdang

Its just fiery passion. Anyone seen his Beyond the Glory video? The guy's got a temper sure, but just imagine what he would do in a Pistons jersey. :pray:

I mean, if its true that he doesn't like Wally I think its just proof how much it doesn't matter and how much more of a leader he is. They both play together and they win together.

Everyone hated Jordan, its not a secret he was an ASS; BUT they respected him, he led, and they won. I don't even think Scottie enjoyed playing with him. But lets realize that:

If the wins come a rollin', no nose is gonna be a broken'.

Darko and Sheed for Garnett (without reprecussions of his contract impeding on keeping guys like Ben and Tay)? I'd take it in a second.

Once again I'll reilliterate: Garnett took a huge paycut after he realized he couldn't win it himself. I don't find him that greedy if he'll do that. Do you want the guy to cut his salary another 50% before you start phrasing him? Where do you draw the line? I mean Cassell and Spree looked REAL good back then being added to Minny. Look at Shaq's situation now, he just took a paycut that brought in a lot of key players too and he's STILL making a lot of money.

Everyone talks about how much they want Jalen around here in Detroit but he's sitting in Toronto with a bloated-beyond-belief contract (it was more than Carter's), not helping that organization (that he's not committed too) at all.

Garnett's been with the T-Wolves his WHOLE career. That's since '95-'96! How many guys can you say have done that? That's why I respect guys like Jordan and Stockton, and neglect the Malone's and Mournings.

He's a-ok with me.

(Oh yeah, and don't get me wrong, I love Jalen.)

15. Big C

Big C First Round Draft Pick

Not buying KG being a problem

In the Bad Boy days Adrian Dantley absolutely despised Laimbeer and is on record for hating Isiah. Zeke once punched Laimbeer and Mahorn. I dont think KG is a problem at all he is just a fierce competitor. Darko and Sheed for KG and the pistons will have a shot at 70 wins. He is an absolute stud in every facet of the game!

16. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

I strongly agree with your statement.