Gary Payton to Miami?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Sep 16, 2005.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Man, those Heat are getting a whole junk load of players , and now rumor has it that Pat Riley is trying to get The Glove, Gary Payton. You can even check for yourself it the 3rd articl on NBA Daily on nba.com

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Payton to Heat....

I read that too this morning. Riles is digging deep in the buckets to make a pre-hall of fame team like Mitch Cupcake tried to do with the Lakers 2 years ago. A bunch of egos that will struggle initially and then peak cruising toward the best record and then crash and burn in the end with coach Ron Jeremy taking all of the blame:eyebrows:

3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

not worried about that one...

...they still need a shooter.

4. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Stan Van Gundy = Ron Jeremy

lol. Wow. They actually do look similar. I never saw the resemblance prior to your comment.

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

You're really right about that because J.Will can't shoot that well, and Gary could before until he got older. So I would have been more worried if they had the Joneses because they had a really good outside shot. Also the Lakers could barely get 1 win over The Pistons doing the exact same thing Miami is doing right now, and with Shaq getting older some people I say we should kill the Heat.

6. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Garry Payton? The glove now has a hole in it. He is not much help these days. I totally agree.

7. max

max All-Star

Payton

Offhand I think Payton is going to be 38 next season. May be usefull for 5-10 mins off the bench but I can't see how he will help them against the Pistons given the Lakers series.

8. detteam

detteam All-Star

9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Are you serious the Miami Lakers are about to get GP. Ooops did I say lakers because it looks to me they are making the same mistake LA did.

10. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

:nono:
    Too many cooks in the kitchen.:doh: Should we be looking for a Karl Malone signing soon?? What a joke.

11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Man I'm starting to feel real good about us verse Miami. The chasing the ring thing NEVER works. While I like Payton, I think he is the straw that breaks the camel's back in terms of chemistry. As stated earlier, Too Many Cooks In The Kitchen.

12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Lakers, Lakers, Lakers...

13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Riley off base?

I don't get it. Payton does not bring that much at this stage of his career. Riley seems to want Showtime but Showtime could play defense in the 80s--they could lock down when they needed it.

14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

GP is being brought in to push Williams and be a backup point. As a backup, he's a solid acquisition. He's not being brought in to start unless Williams falters.

Or maybe he is part of the Heat loading up for a mid-season trade...

15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Who do you think they might trade for?

16. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

Its comforting knowing that every second that Payton is on, we'll have a known and proven good defender on him in either Chauncey or Hunter. Chauncey made mince meat out of Payton in the 2003-2004 Lakers, but then again Payton MAY have been tired all season from playing and keeping the Lakers where they should've been.

17. roscoe36

Just loading up salaries of veteran players. They have the money to spend, so they load up which will give them options at the deadline.

18. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Payton

I think he makes Miami better. He plays way better D than J Will. I don't give a shhhh how old he is. His numbers are actually better than J-Will's by a little bit on offense, too. People say they're not worried about the Miami and the moves they've made. I'm worried about it. A lot. I think Riley has made some aggressive moves. I like a GM that doesn't stand pat. Will all the moves blow up? Who can say? The Pistons, on the other hand, rather than bringing in a solid veteran contributor, are hoping a bench of unprovens can bolster a solid core. Should be an interesting season. I don't believe in ever standing pat. For example, if you like your current job, does that mean you should stop looking for a better one? Nope. San Antonio doesn't take that approach, why should Detroit? The Spurs improved themselves most likely. Did Detroit? We'll see. I'm not in favor of this "stand pat" philosophy, though. Joe D seems to banking on the fact that these bench guys are gonna pan out for a coach, that, frankly nobody knows is all that good.

19. roscoe36

g-zoo,

You took the words right out of my mouth. I'm not anxious to see if Miami blows up, I'm anxious to see if they gel. Between Miami and Indiana, the Pistons will have their hands full, not to mention the Cavs, Baby Bulls, Sixers and Nets.

San Antonio's GM RC Buford (who works closely with Pop) is one of the best in the league. When they win and reload with vets, that sends a message. Lord knows they are way ahead of the rest of the league when it comes to drafting foreign talent (Parker, Ginobili, Oberto, Scola).

GP may not be all that anymore, but he's still better than most of the backup PGs in the league. People keep underestimating Miami. I hope that is not a mistake.

20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Heat

Which people are you referring to? Everywhere I read, the Heat are favored to either win the East or win it all.