Gasol traded to Lakers

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Feb 1, 2008.

1. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Gasol traded to Lakers : Grizzlies : Commercial Appeal

I don't get this trade. For the Lakers this is a brilliant move and turns them into an instant contender.

But what do the Grizzlies really get? A useless Kwame Brown and Javaris Crittenton. That now gives them 3 talented young point guards in either their first or second season. What's the point of that?
    They also get a couple of first round picks, but this just reeks of tanking to me.

The other Western Conference teams must be pretty mad at the Grizzlies for pretty much just giving Gasol away. I know I would be.
  2. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I tell ya, Pau was a malcontent in Memphis, that's why the Fakers got him on the cheap. Next, Darko will finally explode. Tater, I'm still interested! :)
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Memphis is so stupid. Why would they want Crittenton anyways? They already have Conley, who does not even play for some dumb reason.
  5. webz

Expiring contract or not, I still don't think that's a good trade. Who are the big free agents coming up next year? They may have the $$$ but who will want to play in Memphis?

PS - Swift is likely getting traded to the Nets for Jason Collins so unfortunately there will be no Big 3 in Memphis. That surely would be a sight to see, 3 of the biggest busts ever on one team!
  6. webz

Totally. Conley is injured right now, but they also have Kyle Lowry who looks like a very nice prospect. I mean, the whole reason they bought out Stoudamire was to give Conley and Lowry more minutes, and now they will have to split the minutes 3 ways again. Crazy.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think we know why Crittenton got the DNPCD last night.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The Lakers are stacked now.

Fisher/Kobe/Odom/Gasol/Bynum

Does that even work? Seems like you'd have to bring Odom off the bench when Bynum gets back.

I really think this was an amazing trade for them.
  9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I guess Memphis figured this season was a bust anyway, so why not have the room to jump into the free agent pool next year?

Glad it happened today rather than two days ago. Gasol might have put the Lakes over last night.
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

The WC playoffs are going to be insane. The Hornets, Lakers, Jazz, Blazers, Denver, and Houston (if they get there act together) are going to be serious threats to the Spurs, Mavs, and Suns.
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Laker radio all over it today AM 570 KLAC K-Los Angeles California/Orange County

They are saying that the Lakers will leave Bynum at the 5, Gasol will play the 4 and Odom who they criticized vehemently because he took and missed that last shot...will move over to the 3...THEY Love it!!!!!!

Also hearing from ESPN that the trade was made because Bynum might be out longer than expected. I am also hearing that Memphis wants to reduce cash, so I wondering if there are any Grizzlies we can steal ..rudy gay for Primo and Fabio etc...

They are saying the Lakers DOMINATED the Pistons last night and should have won the game!!:sssh:
  12. webz

That's going to be a very big frontcourt. Teams are going to have to run, run, run against them!!

Tell you what, the Lakers will be hoping they don't get the Suns or Warriors in the first round. That probably would be a bad matchup for them.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's a tall team.

6'1"/6'6"/6'10"/7'0"/7'0" !!!

6'8" average height. I bet that Odom comes off the bench later in the year. Not enough shots in that starting lineup for him. Also, they need some 3-point shooting around Kobe. Fisher is not enough. Odom is shooting 23% this year from 3's.

It's going to be scary when they trade Odom and Radmonovich for Kidd.
  14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I think Odom stays the starter. He's great when he's the 3rd (or 4th) option.

I'm in shock over this trade. First i didn't believe it. Now i can't believe it. And third WTF were the other offers like?

Surely CHI could have put together something better.
  15. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

This is one of the most lop sided trades I have sen in my life. It is a salary dump nothing more. It is just not right. Perhaps they want to follow the Atlanta Hawks GM model of tanking until you get cheap young talent to win with.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Oh, I forgot that Jerry West is calling the shots in Memphis. No wonder it was such a good trade for the Lakers.

The details are sort of complicated.

Memphis gets:
    1) Kwame and his expiring $9M contract
    2) Crittenton
    3) Aaron McKie, who is retired unofficially (they need to do a sign-and-trade. Not sure how this works into the deal and why it is necessary/ what benefit it provides, etc.)
    4) draft rights to Marc Gasol (he was drafted 48th in the 2007 draft by the Lakers.)
    5) first round pick in 2008
    6) first round pick in 2010

That's a whole lot of stuff that needs to be analyzed before declaring that this was a bust for Memphis. Any chance Marc Gasol will become an Eli Manning for Memphis?

Also, it looks like Swift is gone in exchange for Collins (owed $6.2M next year, then contract expires). Staudemire already agreed to the buyout.

This is a full-blown rebuild. Tanking hard is the only logical next step.
  17. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Marc Gasol is Pau Gasol brother. I think he plays in Spain. I don't think he is as good as his brother, but they like him for the potential.
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

if the Lakers win the "ship", this could be the "Rasheed Wallace trade" analogy that puts them over the top, if Bynum does come back soon and can be the same force he was when he went down.......and oh yeah Gasol and Kobe both like to shoot.so somebody has to back off......:stirthepot:

I live here in and I don't like it!! But I do like that they want to win and are aggressive about going for the ring again...at all costs in other words, F the luxury cap...we got to keep Kobe happy...and we got to win

The Pistons are a good team, but if Joe could just pull off one blockbuster like this that assures that we get by the Celtics, Cavs, etc. and beat those Lakers or Spurs etc I would feel a little more comfy......but if we got to stick with what we got...get those youngsters more PT now so they can hold their own in the post season.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The key for this trade was that the Lakers had a relatively bad player with a large expiring contract. The Pistons don't have any of those.
  20. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Oh man, that works, doesn't it?