1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Gasol traded to Lakers

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Feb 1, 2008.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I know...the problem is we have dumped Darko, Arroyo, Nazr and Delfino and have nothing to show for it other than a few $$ of saved cap space and a couple of divison flags hanging from the rafters. Do you know how bad it was living here during the mid 80's and 1999 thru 2004 when the Laker FAN thought they were invincible.:yellowprison:

Even when me and my long time Laker cousin sat here and watched the Celtics and Pistons battle back on Jan 5th, he said it didn't make any difference as the Lakers would beat either one of them in this years finals....I guess he was trying to be a clairvoyant??? ... My only hope that this experiment doesn't work and they lose in the WCF to some one..

2. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Without trading Darko and Arroyo.... Rodney Stuckey would be in Orlando right now.

We can't really say that we have nothing for those two.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Darko was still on his rookie contract with us and Arroyo wasn't being paid much at all.

But, you'll notice that the way Joe D does it, we don't need a blockbuster trade. We have a very financially efficient roster. I mean, who is the most overpaid player on our team (don't count Bresec and his expiring contract)? I don't think that there is an obvious answer. Almost every other team in the league has guys that are getting paid way more than they are worth.

4. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I like the potential Lakers frontline of Bynum, Gasol, and Odom.

Folks want to bring Lamar off the bench, but don't forget that in his early days he played point forward with the Clippers and did quite a good job of doing so... being a near triple double threat every time he hit the hardwood.

This gives them a versatile lineup, and quite a formidable (and complimentary) one/two punch in the paint if Bynum makes it back in time to be playoff effective.

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Any team that makes the playoffs in the West is a serious threat. Nothing is clear cut. So far in the East Detroit and Bostons has separated themselves from the rest of the pack.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The thing is that the Lakers also have some other effective players. Going with that overly big starting lineup really creates an imbalance.

Vujacic, Farmar, Radmonovich, Walton, Ariza, and Turiaf can all play, but they are all best as complimentary players. They need a big off the bench and could use a more versatile 3 in the starting lineup.

They should try to trade Odom IMO. Think how much better they'd be with Artest at the 3 instead of Odom. That would never happen, because Odom makes twice as much $ and Sac wouldn't give him to the Lakers, but still, Odom is a big salary and has some unique skills that other teams might want.

7. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

How does the proposal in your third paragraph satisfy the issues raised in the beginning of paragraph #2?

As far as the 3 spot is concerned, I don't think you get any more versatile than Lamar Odom; and bringing a big off the bench becomes less of an issue when you can always move Gasol to the 5 and Odom to the 4 in the event of, say, Walton coming in for Bynum.

Once you trade for Artest you lose the versatility of being able to move your starting 3 (Ron) to the 4 spot. Ron predominantly swings the other way (the 2) which is definitely not what the Lakers need more of.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I was sort of thinking out loud. Something about their team still doesn't seem right to me. They would match up pretty well against us though.

A Pistons/ Lakers rematch would be pretty sweet.

9. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

If Tony Parker comes back and is healthy this year I will still take the Spurs!

10. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

11. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

Don't bet on the spurs on an even numbered year :P

12. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yes, I think it's a bit unbalanced. I still think the Suns would beat the Lakers in a series, and I think the Warriors would also present matchup problems for a team that big. Odom is still the key, if he can produce they are formidable, he is the x-factor.

13. Vinnie

Vinnie Second Round Draft Pick

Yes. Marc Gasol plays in Spain in Akasvayu Girona, but Barcelona have his rights.
    He's 23 years old, 7'00", and this season is one of the best players of the league with good numbers, 17pt and 8 rb, better than the numbers of Pau when was selected by Atlanta.
    I think that he has very potentially, and he will be better than Pau in a few years.

14. LA Dre

Even sweeter if the Pistons take the title:)

Even with Bynum gone this past week, the Lakers have been in every game and could have won everyone of them including last night. With that being said once Bynum comes back and if Gasol gets acclamated properly to Phil's system, I might be inclined (much to my chargrin) of taking their big 3 and role players over the Celtics big 3 and their bench. ...:stirthepot:. Both teams are turnover prone, but its something about Farmar, Turiaf, Fish, Odom that can keeps them in every game until Kobe takes decides to take over. Let see how they play tonight short handed again vs the Raptors tonght.

Of course I am getting ahead of myself as we know our Pistons will prevail over the C's in May I guess I just we needed a nice trade to get my fingers typing today....Wonder how John Paxson feels tonight since he tried to get Gasol and Kobe the last couple of seasons...........

15. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Wow...Darko's first win.

16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

In my ever so humble opinion, this trade will improve the Grizzlies. Now if only they can get rid of their other soft defensive player, Mike Miller, they would have the start of a good team.

Here is a starting lineup the Griz could now use. Conley at point. A good defensive player. And an awesome offensive player.

Navarro at shooting guard. A heck of an outside shot. He also has a real nice floater in the lane. Defensively he has a bit of length and tries his best. Not the greatest cause he lacks some strength, but ok to good.

Small forward, Rudy Gay. An excellent all around player.

Power forward. Darko

Center. Kwame Brown.

Subs: Lowry or Crittenden at point. Most likely Lowry for now.

Shooting guard. Conley is tall enough to move over to shooting guard. They have some other options too, but I think a three guard rotation of Conley, Navarro, and Lowry would work best.

Small forward. Mike Miller, but not for more than 10 minutes a game. Gay should play 38 minutes per game.

Third big: Warrick.

Memphis also has a couple of other bigs they can use for spot minutes, but this basic 8 man rotation is what they should be using going forward, if they want to win games that is.

17. LA Dre

I am watching NBA TV right now and the Memphis GM is talking the same smack...but he sounds like he is on the laker payroll too :)

18. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

It could improve them but only in the sense that they get rid of a player who clearly wanted out.

The fact that Darko can play all five postions will certainly help.

19. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Odom moves back to small forward where he played at Miami as well as where he played at the beginning of this season.

:hoops:

20. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

ESPN hates us.

Jack Nies kept what should have a blowout a close game.

:hoops: