Gasol traded to Lakers

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Feb 1, 2008.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

The east is in seriously dark[strike]o[/strike] days. Too much money thrown around willy-nilly by guys given blank checks...the Rashard deal is a prime example. The EC is now paying penance for the stupidity of their GM's & owners.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I wonder if they are going to deal Navarro off too. He kind of got the bait and switch coming from Europe to Memphis right before their garage sale.

I think that it is obvious that Memphis needed to rebuild. Gasol seems like a good player, but the ESPN guys pointed out a very telling stat today before the game. Memphis has won 28% of their games when Gasol has been in the lineup and 27% of their games when he's been injured. How good can he be?

He'll be a nice compliment for Kobe, but this guy should not be the foundation of a franchise. So, in that respect, Memphis may as well have got rid of him. And if you are going to rebuild, then there is no need to get back anything besides cap relief and draft picks. They accomplished that + Crittenton + potentially little Gasol.

I think that they probably have a better chance of winning a title within 5 years now than they did with Pau. Unfortunately for them, they are going to screw up the rebuild.

3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Rumor has it that Memphis' owners are trying to sell the franchise. When you think of it, that franchise has been one big long disaster since it started out in that crappy Vancouver market, remember, they drafted Steve Francis. In order to sell the team, ownership is trying to cut payroll during the rebuilding phase. BTW - We could get Mike Miller by sending them Primoz, Fabio and FlipJr. naaah, just means I'd have to watch Miller and Jarvis on the floor at the same time throing up a bunch of bricks from the perimeter and getting beat on the defensive end.

4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Darko and Kwame are going to be on the floor together......oh man that's funny.:pound:

5. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Mate, I believe you just made a point against your argument. :MusicBigGrin:
    Think about it, whoever gets through the West is gonna be battle-tested sure, but they are gonna be pretty tired and worn out.

Whoever gets out of the East may have played 2 easy series but if its a Detroit/Boston ECF, that would be enough of a challenge for the winner to be prepared for the finals. And they would still be quite fresh if they cruised the first couple of rounds.

Although Rashard was given a massive contract its hard to argue with the fact the Magic are now a clear 3rd in the Eastern Conference.

Too bad Stromile is getting traded. That would have been a sweet trio to see play together.

6. max

max All-Star

I agree with that statement about the East this year. The landscape is not that much different from the 04 playoffs with Boston filling in for Indiana as the 60 game winner and Clev for NewJerey as the battle tested 2nd round team, although Boston may get them this year in the 2nd round. Plus throw in Orlando and Toronto as the wildcards.

What do we have to complain about anyway as the East has been tough enough to stop the Pistons for the past 2 years.

7. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Miller would actually be a fairly significant upgrade to Hayes, but we won't trade for Miller.

:hoops:

8. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

miller's contract is horrid...not really an option

9. buddahfan

It occurred to me this morning when reading about how long it took AJ to recover from his ankle sprain (according to Joe D. in today's FREEP AJ did not recover until last month; i.e., January,) which was about three months that Bynum might not be able to return and be effective again until next year.

So right now I am thinking what are the Lakers chances to get out of the West to the Finals this year with Gasol instead of Bynum?

Gasol is a definite downgrade from Bynum. Bynum is better defensively and a better rebounder. The Lakers do not need Gasol's scoring that much though it will help.

Bottom line is that the Lakers are better today than they were two days ago but not as good as when Bynum was playing. They are certainly serious contenders to get to the NBA Finals this year even without Bynum, but unless Bynum returns to full strength by the playoffs I think that the Lakers will have a tough time getting to the Finals, but still it may be possible for them to do.

If Bynum returns to full strength by the playoffs the Lakers should get to the Finals unless one of their other key players gets seriously hurt.

10. buddahfan

Thanks for confirming and expanding on what I just said; i.e., that we won't trade for him.

11. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

This is a great trade for Memphis. Darko will have room to operate now without Sasquatch grabbing the spotlight. It's Darko's show now in Memphis. He's the man. :pound: I'll be interested to see how he responds. This is really the opportunity he's been waiting for. Howard grabbed the spotlight in Orlando and Darko was confined to garbage minutes in Detroit. Pau leaving could be Darko's coming-out party.

As far as the Lakers go, great trade for them. Kobe and Sasquatch can play the inside-outside game all night.

12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

True. There are no excuses for Darko now. Memphis' roster is going to be tailor made for Darko.

Star players like Pau have always been jealous of him and so Darko has modestly kept his level of play low to compensate. I anticipate a surge in Darko's stat line..particularly in AOTG.

13. buddahfan

Some interesting comments on the trade by Mark Heisler who has covered the NBA and the Lakers for the Los Angeles Times for a number of years. Keep in mind that Heisler has never had too many good things to say about the Pistons, their players and former players and that is an overstatement. He does make some other interesting points in the article.

Lakers' trade could have a downside - Los Angeles Times

14. basketbills

Buddha...do you disagree that Ben is old and diminished?

15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lakers still have not let on that Bynum injury could take 2 months to recover. With the west so tight the Lakers couild have found them selves as the 9th or 10th seed before they retured from their Kobe showcase tour if they had not signed Gasol or some other big (the could have taken Darko or Ben for less:))

Part of the deal was the Lakers signing the retired Aaron Mckie for $750,000, who had been assistant coach for the Sixers this season. I guess they weren't paying him that much.?? Will he report to Grizzlies now and get waived and then become their assistant?

The other article also implies that they have no problem paying the luxury tax for several years as long as Kobe is happy and that possibility of winning it all for several years.

16. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Jerry West is still a consultant for the Grizzlies :stirthepot:

17. buddahfan

30 anything ain't old when you are my age.

He he as good a player now as in 2004, what do you think?

18. buddahfan

I guess I wasn't clear. Let me try again to say what I think I wanted to say.

When Bynum will come back and will be at full strength has not yet been determined. Getting Gasol for what they gave up will improve the team this year over what they had yesterday, with Bynum injured..

Whether getting Gasol is good enough to get to the Finals, if Bynum does not return this year to full strength or at all, is in my mind open to question.

However if Bynum returns and is at full strength before the playoffs begin then it seems to me that the Lakers will have a good chance to get to the Finals.

19. basketbills

I think Ben's play has dropped dramatically. Chicago would love to have someone take him off their hands. Noah can fill Ben's spot.

20. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

...and he can rebound as well.