Getting Practical

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, May 29, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We assume that in Game 3 Pat Riley had all the answers.

Wrong.

Tay's made it clear that the Pistons didn't run the sets they planned to, and that he was never really given an opportunity to get it going.

We also had Sheed heating up but went away from him.

Trying to look at Game 3 objectively, the Pistons are a few minor tweaks away from hitting that magical 90 point mark before the Heat. First one to 90 wins.

What else should they do? Is it really enough to say, rebound, defend, protect the ball (which are all passive responses) or should the boys take the fight to the Heat and score, draw fouls, create mismatches and increase tempo?

I'm a big proponent of forcing the Heat to defend in the paint. Putting Ben in a position to flop his way to early trips to the line. You can read me posting in every game chat "PLAYOFF FOULS". Sure Ben won't hit his FTs, but by racking up fouls on Walker, Shaq and Wade, Pat Riley loses flexibility with his rotation, having to sit his guys when they are playing well, and possibly playing reserves even if they are not producing.

I've seen enough 90s Knicks games to know that Riles gets frustrated when the reserves are forced to come in due to foul trouble.

Thoughts?
  2. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

You got it we need to put them in foul trouble period.The reserves aren't going to produce for them every night like they did in game 1.
    This also could take them out of a shooting rythm while they sit.I also wouldn't mind seeing a nice hard foul delivered to the first Heat player besides Shaq to enter the lane.Knock em' down maybe they will think twice.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

-Play Hard
    -Play Smart
    -Play Together
    -Share the Ball
    -And everything Microwave said.
  4. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Inaddition to everything Micro said.

Go Pistons.
  5. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I like your idea of making the Heat defend the paint. I would only add explicitly, that this should not happen exclusively or even mainly via iso's or ball-pounding two man games, but rather via man movement and ball movement, and high low posts and cutters to the hoop, and aggressive drives to the lane (where if you don't get the call and wind up on your ass, you bounce back up without saying a word and go down to other end and d-up). And finally, shooting and making the open jump shot (esp. Rip off of curls at the elbow, or fading toward the baseline_ has a role to play in this since it keeps their perimeter defenders from being able to cheat too much into the paint.

Defensively: I'm yet to be convinced by their perimeter shooting. I've seen wade knock down some decent jumpers (but he has also missed more of those than layups and dunks and and-1's in teh paint) and I've seen Walker hit a few spot up 3's and J-Will a small handful of pull up jumpers. But that's it. On the other hand, several of their players (Wade, Walker, J-Will, even Haslem from time to time) have shown they can beat our defender to the basket if we are playing body to body on the perimeter. Therefore, I would be happy to see our perimeter defenders sag off their men in order to force them to show they can beat us from outside. At the same time, throw in a few half court traps, just to mix it up.
  6. max

max All-Star

The new Riley move to always foul Ben when he goes inside can be used to our advantage. Try going to Ben early in quarters to get their bigs in foul trouble and put them in the penalty early. Instead it turned out to be around an 8 point swing for the Heat.

Why not pressure Wade as in the prior games? It was working. Wade does not get too many calls so you can play him close.

So many things. It amazing we came as far as we have really. What about Sheed? Why is Walker looking like more of a post player than Sheed?
  7. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Excellent observations Max.

I say go to Ben EARLY IN THE 1ST QUARTER , not only to the Heat into the penalty, but to get the Heat in foul trouble early in the game, that way Ben`s missed FT will not hurt as much

Put Lindsey and maybe Delfino in to pressure Wade often and early to disrupt his rythym.

I hate to say but Walker is being effective with his out of control (looking) drives to the hoop. Make him continue to drive because he is an offensive foul waiting to happen.
  8. max

max All-Star

If they are going to foul Ben then you have to do it early in quarters so the rest of the Pistons can benefit at the line. Going to Ben late in quarters is a total waste. And Flip has to use this as a potential strategy to get Miami in foul trouble, not because Ben Wallace will pout if he is not getting the touches. Time to lead this team Flip!!
  9. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I am in total agreement with you Micro. i was wondering what happened last game, I thought that should be the plan period.

Do not allow Wade and Shaq to come waltzing in the lane like it's the last coronation dance of 2006.

They really need to look at chicago's first game of the playoffs, Shaq was clearly getting frustrated with the foul calls. Ben needs to get in there take the hard foul, get the offensive call.

And for goodness sake, someone need to knock Wade on his behind a few times, after all, the commercial says that he will get up, so be it. Everytime he goes to the hole, contest, contest and continue to contest the shot.

Additionally, Rip needs to get back to running and shooting that little curl, make Wade chase him all over the court, CONSISTENTLY.
  10. roscoe36

Not just Ben, let's get some movement and dunks for Sheed. Ok, his ankle is not so good. He's toughing it out however bad it is or is not, so get the boy the ball.

SMACK THAT BACKBOARD ON THE WAY DOWN!

We'll never win running away from the strength of the Heat by shooting jumpshots. We've got to drive, run hard and get to the rim with reckless abandon.

I'm completely emotionally invested in this game tonight.
  11. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I have no doubt that Sheed is hurting, but common man, make some freaking free throws!!!

That's also another great reason for him to shut his mouth. He threw out those guarentees in the Cavs series, but you can't predict an injury. Which left his teammates to have to try and back him up. Then he still continued to talk smack in the media, even AFTER being injured and AFTER losing his guarenSheed game.

I'm not saying its all on Sheed. There's plenty of blame to go around, but he really hasn't helped the cause any either.
  12. roscoe36

We didn't go inside, we didn't draw fouls. Some of that was the the refs gave the Heat a wide berth, but the game plan and execution out of the gate was "fools gold" with ISOs to Tay, Tay, Tay.

KGREG mentioned time and score in the Game 4 thread. Even late in a close game, there was no execution, no movement, just jacking up shots.
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

NBA TV Comments: Frank Isola says that the heat should have won last years ECF, but had injury excuses with Wade and Shaq not 100%. He is now saying that the Pistons excuse will be that due to Sheed's ankle injury and they are not at 100% and his lack of play and mobility is costing the Pistons this series.:mad: Is that really our excuse? Is Rip's
    ankle flaring up on him too? He has been MIA in the second half.:frusty:

Fred Carter said at the end of game three we should employ the zone to stop Wade. Well it worked to start th 3rd quarter. Tonight he says that the Pistons should start game 5 in the zone as the team that has won the first quarter in this series has gone on to win each game. If that is the case, it's desperation time & adjust and see what happens. :P