GM For A Day Pick One FA/Muhammed, Pryzbilla, L. Woods/OlowokandiWright/Mourning

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jun 29, 2006.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

OK, its no surprise that we need a big man. The only way we may end up picking up a center is through free agency. With the exception of Ely, the rest of the FA crop of Centers are UFA.

With check book in hand, you have the Vet's minimum and the MLE, you are given carte blanche to sign one of these guys.

Nazr Muhammed
    Joel Pryzbilla
    Loren Woods
    Michael Olowokandi
    Lorenzen Wright
    Alonzo Mourning
    Nene

Only one caveat, you have to pick someone who will get significant minutes off the bench, this person must be an active role player who needs to contribute both offensively and defensively, a good passer, rebounder and will blend in with the pistons pedigree. This pick is not a Dale Davis, Elden Campbell Kelvin Cato pick.

In other words, there has to be significant justification and clear rationale why you would sign this player and use the MLE or Vet's minimum because we have other areas that also need to be addressed.

My Pick:

Pryzbilla: The Skinny:

Big wide body 7' 1, 260 = Good Size
    Will bang in the paint with the best of what the NBA has to offer
    Willing to do the dirty work
    Lots of upsize
    6.1 ppg, 7 rebs average
    He is young
    Good rebounder
    Average passing skills
    Will hop all over the MLE
    Wants out of Portland BAD

Ely would have been my first pick, however, charlotte would beat us out unless we gave them something or someone to sweeten the pot.
  2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Is Nene an unrestricted free agent? Anyways he's my pick:).
  3. armygirl

Right on Himat, forgot about Nene, please add him to the list.
  4. armygirl

Hey HIMAT good looking out, gotta tell me why though. Hey I am on TDY here in Kuwait for 3 months. The forum is what keeps me going.

This is so much better than reading a boring magazine. I am counting down the days until I get back.

Peace
  5. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Pryz and Nene would be the best IMO.
  6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Pryzbilla is a stiff. I'd take Ely over him.
  7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

He showed a lot of upside through preseason all that until he got injured. Denver is a mess right now especially since they don't have a GM so maybe he can fall into the pistons lap.
  8. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

How exactly is Przybilla a stiff? He put up 6.1 PPG, 7 RPG, and 2.32 BPG in less than 25 minutes per game. He has great size and it seems like everytime we play against him he kills us. Ely can't rebound or block shots to save his life.
  9. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

He also goaltends nearly as many. He's not quite as dumb as Sam Dalembert, and he has a couple of semi-dependable moves around the basket, but he's a stat-padder and I don't see him getting much better than he is now. The Pistons always struggle against bigger centers; Greg Ostertag looked like Shaq against Ben, too.

Out of the others, I'd take 1) Alonzo Mourning, or 2) Nene. Zo is still a game-changer, one of the three best defensive bigs in the game, and still has good hands and can score either with dunks or that god-awful rolling hook. Nene can score, although he's offensive-foul-prone, and rebound, and swat a little, but I don't know how he's going to recover from the surgery and I thought he was mildly overrated before it.

The others - Nazr Mohammed is a stiff with no offensive game and absolutely no idea what to do on the defensive end. Loren Woods is Cheick Samb. Kandiman has his money and is probably happy to retire today. Lorenzen Wright is a really poor man's Drew Gooden.
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I see where you are going. We should get a rebounding 7 footer because we were 24th in defensive rebounding last year even though we have Ben. The blazers now have LeMarcus Aldridge so we can have a go at him.
  11. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

J. Pryzbilla will get alot more than the MLE....
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

From a stupid GM...
  13. linwood

linwood All-Star

I guess if I were Joe I would have to pick Zo. I can't stand the guy, but he is a proven vet, and a true difference maker. If he subbed out for one of the Wallaces, I believe there would be no defensive letup at all. In fact, the No Free Chili rule may even get stronger with Mourning.

I hate the guy, but Villians become Heros when they win for your team.
  14. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Zo actually tries to block shots. Sheed gets called for fouls 70% of the time he tries to block anything, and Ben prefers to undercut shooters rather than pick up fouls or expose the fact that he can barely get his hand above the rim anymore. Zo plays with heart, and as much as I hate to say it, Ben usually doesn't.

Ben averaged .08 BPG more than Zo in the playoffs despite playing 24.9 more minutes per game. I think it's safe to say that the Pistons' interior defense would be a lot stronger.
  15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Nene has the best upside but I believe he's restricted... Denver won't let him escape for the MLE... he'll be replacing Kmart once he's shipped.

If it's a short contract (2 years or less) I'd go with Zo.
  16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Zo probably wants cash though.
  17. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

it will be like the delk story. plenty of teams could probably offer more cash, but we can offer a chance for a title. so if guys like zo want cash they can go jump, but if guys like przyzzbzilla hate dumps like portland this could be to our advantage.

i probably take pryzzy