Gonna be Davis... Not Darko or Glynnie

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KP, Oct 5, 2005.

1. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Let’s talk Dale Davis for a minute… I’ve read quite a few posts in here that downplay his potential role on the team – likening his role to that of Elden Campbell last year. This comparison to EC bugs me a little bit.

EC was a solid professional, but he really seemed to lose his desire to complete last year. He was out of shape, injured, and ineffective the whole season. This is in contrast to his first year with us when his offensive post game was still effective. In his prime EC was an effective offensive player. Last year the only thing he contributed was his bulk (against Shaq).

Now let’s look at Dale Davis. He is known as a defender in contrast to EC who was more of a low post scorer. DD is the anti Elden in terms of fitness and conditioning. He really surprised me with his effectiveness against us in the playoffs (with Indy). He can still defend, block shots, run the floor, and get the ball in the basket from short range (in traffic). He still plays with “force”, as Rick Carlisle used to say.

My assertion is that there is no way Darko will beat out DD for the fourth big man spot. Dale Davis will contribute way more than EC did – and way more than Darko. If Darko does get the spot it will be handed to him for reasons other than his play.

Glynnie? ... Come on, are you serious?

2. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

the spot is already darko's per joe d.

but anyway my response to what you said is that you are somewhat right. dale davis has 2 more years left in him probably. darko has 10 - 12 years left and plenty of upside. in the role of 4th big man you keep your young guy happy in the regular season and let him develop. dale will probably get increased burn in the playoffs. joe did not sign darko to an extension to watch him rot on the bench 2 more years at a very high price then bolt for another team when his first chance at free agency comes.

i think you doubt darko's game a little bit too much. darko is a better free throw shooter than davis. darko has a better outside shot than davis. darko is a better passer than davis. davis i would say is better than darko in rebounding. shot blocking maybe a tie and my inside says slight advantage to darko in shot blocking. darko is no slouch defensively. i don't see why darko couldn't hold his spot from davis based on game alone.

3. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Jay, you're right. We've got a regular season ahead of us. I've already jumped to the playoffs.

But if Darko can hold off Dale on "game alone", then why does Dale get more burn in the playoffs? Answer: Because Dale can contribute more towards getting a win in an important game.

4. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

The regular season means nothing. Its all about the playoffs, and if we can rest an old Dale Davis and keep his legs fresh, meanwhile, developing someone with tremendous potential, why not do it?

The fourth spot is Darko's because Joe D's definately pushing for it (even though he says he isn't). Davis is there for Shaq and he knows it. That's why he went to Indiana last year, he wanted play time. Now he wants to win.

5. bball jay

answer: because dale is a vet and is proven. 4th big man's role will be drastically reduced in the playoffs anyway. ben, sheed and mcdyess will be very fresh for the playoffs.

curry was getting more run than tay in the playoffs. didn't mean that curry was better than tay. it's not the same situation because tay was drastically better than the guy getting playing time over him. but it's still a case of a coach going with a vet instead of a younger player.

6. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Gotta agree, it's not gonna be DD

Joe said the fourth big is Darko, and and I believe he said that it is his job to lose. When you figure DMC's upside and the length of career stretching out ahead of him, I have to believe that statement is true. And I have faith that he will protect his job.

The early extension of Darko should indicate where he stands and JD will not have him rotting for another couple of years, and then walk away.

"Wouldn't be prudent", to paraphrase a former CIC.

7. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

No Truer Words

The regular season is dress rehersal for everyone, coach included, but bench in particular. I really don't care who stands out as long as two somebodies do step up in the reg season. We're then gonna need one of them to show big throughout the playoffs if we are to get er done.

8. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Darko's playing time

From reading today's article, I also came away with the impression that Flip will give Darko an opportunity to be the the first big off the bench after McDyess, however, if Darko's not playing well, he will yank that chain.

9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

This year the regular season is Darko's, and playoffs are Dales, but in the 07 season I see Darko becoming a lot better, and becoming a great help off the bench during those playoffs for now though he still has to heal those wounds lb gave him.

10. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Darko the fourth big?

Just like armygirl says: If Darko does what he's capable of doing, he shouldn't have anything to worry about. If he sulks and gets dunked on, bring on Davis. Davis' got some balls. Darko still growing some.

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Whoever wins the minutes, will make us all happy. I don't care if it is Darko, Davis or the ballboy co-captain.

I just hope that the minutes are given based upon performance and effort. When JD becomes involved in setting the roster before the preseason, I worry that the GM is getting too much into the coach's domain.

Darko "should" be able to beat out Davis for minutes without help. With some help, he should be a lock.

As I said, the best man will help us in the playoffs, so I am cheering for the best man, whoever he will be.

12. bball jay

joe d not getting into the coaches domain last year might have cost us the championship (lb's refusal to play anyone other than the trusted 7). also joe d letting lb dabble in the gm going ons might have cost us the championship (delfino off the playoff roster for ham). i think joe d did this last year too by putting darko on the playoff roster. i bet if it was up to lb he would have rather had ho jenks on the playoff roster.

joe is doing the right thing in making sure his huge investment and gamble gets some run.

13. roscoe36

I just think it is premature except for perhaps from a confidence standpoint to award any playing time to anyone.

The knock that guys like Dave had last year (and I agree with) is that Darko was not given the opportunity to earn minutes. That is 100% true. But once given the opportunity, for the good of a team, the player has to meet the challenge. You'll fracture the locker room if a guy gets pet treatment and can't carry the load. Please save the Sheed as LB's pet disses, it's getting old.

Here's to hoping that DMC is everything we want him to be and more.

14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I agree everyone on this team has earned there playing time. Just because LB didn't let Darko play last season does not mean he can just slack off, and expect to get minutes from Flip. I think he'll realize that soon if he doesn't understand right now.

15. bball jay

do you fracture the locker room if a guy has earned minutes but you still don't play him?? lb sucked last year in terms of the way he handled his non essential players. more guys than dmc got messed over by lb last year. dupree deserved more run. carlos arroyo deserved more run. elden deserved more run. delfino deserved to be on the playoff roster.

it didn't fracture the locker room whenever darvin was put in the game. it didn't fracture the locker room when darvin made the playoff roster. don't tell me darvin ham "earned" a playoff spot.

16. roscoe36

Well that is kinda an oxymoron because if he didn't play, he couldn't earn minutes, right?

Perhaps, and even with those "deserving guys" getting screwed, do you think it fractured our locker room last year? Do you think that we lost the Finals because Rip or Ben was mad that Delfino did not make the playoff roster?

No it didn't. Because in the eyes of some, Ham didn't earn his spot. But by all accounts, Ham did exactly what he was meant to, and has more playoff experience than Darko, Delfino, Dupree and Arroyo combined.

All I care about is what players do this year under Flip. Evans, Acker everyone needs to earn their spot so that we have the best players playing the most minutes. By your own previous arguments, that's how you win. Right?

17. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

What If One of The Big Three Gets Hurt?

I think both Darko and Davis will get enough opportunity to help the team. Don't count out a lineup of Darko, Dyess and Davis (The 3Ds of Detroit).

18. roscoe36

That would be weird. Let's hope we don't lose Ben or Sheed to injury anytime this year. They are still the best starting frontcourt in the East.

19. bball jay

ham did exactly what he was meant to do. him being on the playoff roster was meant to make appease lb. keep him happy long enough for us to make a playoff run. other than that ham did absolutely squat in the playoffs. or maybe that's what he was supposed to do.

yes. you win playoff games by having the best players playing the most minutes. you continue to win years down the line by playing some of the guys that need nba experience during the season so they can improve. this year we also need to rest our core 6 a bit so that they can be fresh for the playoffs. so during the first half of the season it's not about who's the best player it's about can we play this guy and still win.

this year earning it is ok. because i feel flip is going to give players the oppurtunity to earn it. that's the difference lb said guys had to earn it or it would fracture the locker room but then gave players no chance to "earn" it. then when they did happen to get off the bench and play well it was right back to the bench. that's why i never accepted lb's definition of "earning" it.

20. roscoe36

I get you bball jay, but at what point do we stop talking about LB and just deal with the NOW?

Everything you or I have to say about the breakup, the roster and the politics is conjecture. There are probably only 2 people who know exactly what went down and why. That's Brown and JD.

It would be great if we could not hijack every thread into DarkoDarkoDarko, which then becomes LBLBLB, which generally leads to bad feelings all around. Shaq talk becomes Darko talk. Flip talk becomes LB talk. Circles and circles.

I'm not trying to tell people what to post, but so many decent discussions get snuffed and redirected into stuff you can find in at least 20 threads on this relatively new forum.

There are so many other players on this team to talk about. Like the primary guy in the subject line. Dale Davis. Heck, right now, I'm almost ready to hear some wild tales about the abilities of Glyniadakis...