Gonna be Davis... Not Darko or Glynnie

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KP, Oct 5, 2005.

1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

One thing I don't blame Larry for is Delfino. LB was very clear about when Carlos had to return to make the playoff roster, and he didn't get back in time. He also didn't show much confidence or aggressiveness later, so the decision made sense. Letting a guy shortcut his rehab just for pride is the best way to get hurt BAD. And Carlos didn't look ready even a couple months later in summer league.

2. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Posted by Microwave..There are so many other players on this team to talk about. Like the primary guy in the subject line. Dale Davis. Heck, right now, I'm almost ready to hear some wild tales about the abilities of Glyniadakis...

Well this one time at basketball camp Glynnie stuck a...nevermind:eyebrows:

I think it was said Dale was brought in to not be so much as an EC but he would have somewhat of a reduced role unless I remember the article wrong and no I don't recall where I read this.

I think Darko should be able to earn the 4 spot over DD and hopefully by the end of the season both of them can contribute good minutes in the playoffs.

3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Amen brotha!

4. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

LOL!!! Exactly. I don't want to see Darko getting dunked on then stand there with a boy wonder look on his face.:doh:

5. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

davis was first but darko was also in the subject line. we can talk about now when it happens. there is nothing else left to do but speculate. darko still and will be for a long time one of the most interesting subplots going on in the pistons org. when people post against darko i'll post in support of him. that's the way it goes. post against flip i'll post in support of him.

6. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

earn it babay

If you only played players who have playoff experience then you never have new talent.
    By all means play the guys who earn it I dont dispute that at all but sometimes you never get to see a player grow more than when he has to in the playoffs. The win or go home aspect of it the fact that a player knows everyone is watching because it is the playoffs puts the added pressure to produce.

guys were on the roster for whatever reason but half of them didnt even get to have the playoff experience other than from the bench. hell ec was our shaq guy and he played very very little and he has proven playoff experience. its all about earning it and some of the players who earned it did not get that chance

7. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

a one legged carlos delfino is still better than a fully healthy darvin ham. if they were really concerned about not injuring delfino's knee further he wouldn't have been logging 30+ minutes in the last few games. delfino's snub was not injury related don't believe the fork tongue lb. lb used that timeline to enforce his own agenda. delfino wasn't confident and aggressive because he wasn't sure about his knee which is very understandable. delfino still found other ways to contribute with his rebounding and passing.

giving a guy a timeline to get back already is shortcutting his rehab.

8. Fool

Fool First Round Draft Pick

I agree with the general rule that things become ominous when GMs start dictating roster use but I would also agree with the argument that JoeD seems to have correct oppinions when it comes to roster use (both last year with the lack of bench use coming back to hurt us and two years before when he did everything but point a gun at Carlisle to get him to play Prince over the Digital Man).

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Agreed. I think Joe has shown that he knows when to intervene and when to step back and let his coach run the show. He isn't the type to meddle unecessarily and his ego is always in check.

10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I have to agree, Davis has alot more in the tank than Elden did, so to compare the 2 is nonsense. Man y'all just don't know, after 3 mins Elden needed to ice down both knees just to walk.

Right now Davis is better than Darko, period. The question becomes is Davis' contribution more valuable than Darko getting experience, to that I say NO. Mark my words on this though, If Darko gets the run and still sucks it up, he will indeed be on the pine, and be another Skitavilla or whoever dude in Denver is.

Darko has been guaranteed opportunity, that's it. Everybody in here is mature enough to know that if you don't introduce opportunity to Preparation, you don' t have squat.

11. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Alright... here's my take.

Davis is insurance. Insurance that the Pistons won't have to "go small" in the playoffs because of foul trouble.

Could Davis contribute on a nightly basis on this roster? Sure he could. But let's weigh it out:

Give Davis the 4th big designation, let Darko, Maxiel, and Johnson (I think Glyny will be in the NBADL) watch from the pine and "learn" in practice... Then in the playoffs All 4 bigs get into foul trouble, Flip doesn't know what's on his bench, and we put Tayshawn on Duncan.

OR...

Play Davis sparingly during the season, give Darko, Maxiel and Johnson (if he stays in the bigs) time to compete and show what they can contribute. Get into the playoffs and possibly have 6 bigs to throw at anyone who gets in our way. Maybe one of the younger guys will EARN time in the playoffs, and Davis will be quality insurance.

I mean, all of this talk about Joe D demanding that Darko get time in the season, would be for naught if when the playoffs rolled around he got bumped.

Really, let's be honest. Davis is a hard worker, in better shape, mentally and physically than EC was last year. He's a great addition. But if he "takes" Darko's minutes, and he gets hurt a week before the playoffs, we're kind of screwed. I know he has been pretty durable, but why chance it???

And that's my 2 cents.

12. Fool

Fool First Round Draft Pick

That sounds rational to me.

Nice Sig. Unfortunately for Karl, Middle Class > Marxist Revolution.