Good Luck Darko in Orlando

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DaviaG-Rap, Feb 15, 2006.

1. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

you're right.,,,sorta. :)

The Magic were streakin' two weeks prior to the acquistion of Darko and Arroyo.

Once trade rumors persisted about Francis being moved, the Franchise quit playing and the losses started to pile up. Once our former Pistons joined the team, the losses piled up some more.

I still think it has something to do with high player turnover and injuries. It seems that it would be quite a task to coach a team to victories that has been in such a state of flux for the past month.
  2. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

They were 1 and 9 before the DMC and CA came to Orlando, this skid started before them.

From the couple of games that I've seen, the blame is first and foremost the coach. He's gone to the LB school of coaching. His substitutions and starting the lineups are all over the place.

When players don't know their roles, or aren't used to playing with each other, they underperform. Also BHll is tanking for the draft pick.

As for the players, Battie is freaking out because of Darko, and he's in a contract year, probably trying to hard, playing out of control. Franchise didn't help. Jameer is recovering from injury. Dooling flat out stinks. And CA and DMC are learning the plays, while DMC is not in game shape.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Lemme guess. Low bloodflow?
  4. DarkoWatcher

DarkoWatcher First Round Draft Pick

i think your mostly corect. at leest your not blamen the losses on darko and arroyo the way mercury is.

mercury you are being unconvinceingly evacive. the magic were 1-8 in the nine games before darko came and they are 1-8 in the nine games since darkos arival. the trend is exactly the same its not as if things somehow just hapened to turn wurse when darko (and arroyo) showed up.
  5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

DW that bad a trend is unacceptable. They should have thrown a couple of Ws in there somewhere. BHill doesn't know what he's doing.
  6. DarkoWatcher

DarkoWatcher First Round Draft Pick

oh well what can you do theyll win eventualy. ill be very honest i am extreemly happy just to see darko gettin minites i think he has already proven that he is no bust.
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Bhill has to set his rotations and be a man about it. If DM is the anchor with Howard, run their legs off. 35 minutes. Use the bench as a unit so guys can learn each others style.
  8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Let's just say they haven't made an impact.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Either did Steve Francis leaving then.
  10. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Yeah. Break a leg. :)
  11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just some quick stats here. Since Darko and Arroyo were sent to Orlando, the Magic have outscored the opposition 869 to 866. 96.5 points per game to 96.2 points per game. Before their arrival, they were scoring 93.4 and giving up 96.3. (I am not including the first 2 games that they were on their roster, because Darko got a DNP and a 3:43.)

Also, Orlando's top 10 5-man units all include either Arroyo, Milicic, or both. The top 5 include both of them with various other Magic players. The top unit being Arroyo, Hill, Turk, Howard, Milicic.

Arroyo also shows up on 5 of the Pistons top 10 5-man units.

Good trade for both teams when you take Delk into account... and assume that Det was never going to give Darko 20+ minutes/ game. My only concern at this point is that Orlando's record next year will be > .500 and the #1 draft pick will slide past 15 or so.
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm ok with that if we win out this year with Delk. Even a 15 pick is ok by my reckoning because it helps maintain cap flexibility. This move IMO (by both sides) was all about the benjamins.
  14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Why is JD trying to save rich-azz BillD a couple of bucks when we have the league by the balls? Zeke will sign every high price guy he can find. The cap is soft.
  15. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, and look how well it's worked for Zeke.

I'll take Joe D's approach any day.
  16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Sure and let guys like Mike J, Darko, TDrib, Fino, and who else slip through our fingers.
  17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I just looked at Darkos signature at ESPN; it looked completely psychotic.
  18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

What is the goal of this organization? Is it to stockpile the most homegrown talent or is it to win a championship?

The way I see it, the pistons have tons of talent go thru its locker room all the time. The team takes the best of them and tries to do the best with it.
    Sometimes, we lose out on some really good guys but is mike james worth more than Billups or Rip? Is Memo better than 'Sheed? It would be great if mike james could come off the bench behind Billups and Memo be the 4th big. But this ain't fantasy basketball. Its not even ESPN's NBA 2k5 because in that game you have to deal with the salary cap.

Players have to look at their careers. Teams have to look to their future as well. Just because Isiah can shackle his team with big dollar contracts nobody wants doesn't mean we should. We have a measure of flexibility this way.

There isn't enough touches to keep tay in rhythm AND we don't even go to Big ben. How is there going to be enough to go around for anyone else.
  19. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

As far as managing talent, up until the signing of Dice, Joe had done a great job. And that put us over the bump with the title, but since then, we've slowly been degrading the talent of the bench, and for no good reason.

Mike James was not offered a contract. He played well for us, but we didn't want him back? That makes no sense. He couldn't have wanted that much money.

Okur was understandable, we simply couldn't sign him and 'Sheed at the same time.

We cut Smush, who's showing he is at worst a capable backup for the Lakers. Again, who's judging the talent on our squad?

We play Darvin over Darko in the playoffs last year, no way that helped us, we keep Delfino off the roster, no way that helped either, and the slightest bit of help could have given us an edge against SA.

Now, we dump DD and CA for Cato and a 1st round pick? Cato won't be on the team next year, and the pick won't help us for at least 3 or 4 years down the road.

CD stuck behind MO? Makes zero sense, Flip can't judge talent.

Delk, finally a good pickup, and the coaches actually use him.

If Joe had just kept what he had, we'd have a bench of Dice, Darko, Mike James, and Delfino. I'd take that group over any combo we have now, or will have in the next 3 years.
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

You got it Slip, no minutes, no money, no great depth.