Good Luck Darko in Orlando

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DaviaG-Rap, Feb 15, 2006.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Right on 16.

2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

2 things: In the semi distant past, We were playing catch up to the nets and the rest of the NBA. Joe could be more aggressive. Things needed to change. Having perceived ourselves as ready to contend to the title, Joe is more conservative. Delk over Delfino? Its a conservative move.

As for mike james. Was it money...or opportunity.

3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

if it was a #1 pick we wouldn't have gotten it anyway as it is #5 protected. We still don't know if we really get that pick-
    2 possible scenarios:
    1.) Orlando sucks at the end of next season, gets a top- 5 pick and this was one of the worst trades ever
    2.) Orlando doesn't suck and we get a #12 pick or so who we don't develop anywas and this was one of the worst trades ever
    3.) Orlando sucks and we get a #6 pick who we don't develop anyways and this was one of the worst trades ever.
    If Darko continues to flourish, Joe D should be more than just questioned for blowing the chance to build a dynasty. This could have been something like back in 97' when the Spurs added Duncan to an already very good roster.
    But we stick to the same 3 bigs while we weaken the bench continuesly. Other teams don't sleep why do we?

4. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

we get the pick the following year if orlando gets a top 5 pick this year. either way we got rid of one of the biggest busts in NBA history and therefore it is one of the best trades ever regardless of what we got in return

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Pot stirrer... :doh:

Excuse me? I think that Tony Delk, Dale Davis, Mo Evans and the trade for Carlos Arroyo were all good moves. Check your timepiece.

We didn't have any rights to offer him a contract based on exception. We couldn't afford to pay him squat or guarantee regular rotation minutes. James is getting old. This was his second to last good contract, and that means cash in time for a player who was never drafted and lived to be signed and waived in the NBA.

The Suns let Smush go after us. I'd say they have been excellent evaluators of talent through the last 3 seasons...

DHam played for the most part meaningless minutes. The same minutes that y'all scream about when it comes to Darko. The few times Ham played in prime time, it was to protect a starter from picking up a cheap foul. Again, well below the great Lord Darko.

Delfino said himself during the summer that he wasn't 100%. Why would you put a lame player on the roster? That makes ZERO sense.

You nailed it on the head. We push back paying another player first round + money and assure the cap stability of this team until it is time to reload, when Joe can go into the battle with guns loaded and plenty of spare clips.

Flip's not the GM. He's the coach. His job is to win with the talent Joe gives him. Pretty damn good job thus far wouldn't ya say?

You need to rent a new crystal ball. No one knows what this team will look like in 3 years.

Let's assume they could have kept Mike James because he didn't want money. Let's assume they kept Darko. Take away Dale Davis and Mo Evans. Take away Tony Delk. Take away that future first rounder, and pollute the cap situation with 4 players who will not be off the books for a minimum of 3 seasons.

Darko still doesn't play, Delfino loses minutes at 2 guard behind James (because he can combo and Arroyo could not), and the team is cash strapped heading into the future unable to lure a free agent with the promise of a spot in the rotation.

You miss it sometimes 16. Sometimes by a little, and sometimes by a lot. But you did inspire me to get back to work on an "introduction to the salary cap" piece I've been playing around with. The first rule of NBA roster moves is that MONEY IS KING. Flexibility, security and power.

6. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

sorry couldn't help myself, i was given such great material to work with :)

7. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

That doesnt make sense. Mike James signed with the Bucks for a 3 year 10.2 mil contract, you're saying that the Pistons couldn't match or beat that? We paid Arroyo 4mil per year.

I don't know what happened, but we let him go. Either James wanted less money to play somewhere else, or we just didn't want him, but we could have outbid the Bucks.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Salary Cap 101. How did we acquire Arroyo?

9. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

16 Mile
    That's EXACTLY what Micro is tryin ta tell ya! We didn't have any trade exceptions at the time and the only thing we could offer Mike James was the veteran's minimum. Cap 101 !

Mike was 30 and never had a guaranteed contract before that. He signed elsewhere for the security. If Joe COULD have signed him we WOULD have. :spy:

10. TWOTIMESRALPHI

does that mean we get the pick after this season if its a #6 or lower?
    Does it mean we even get their pick if its #1 next year?
    As far as I remember, the pick was #5 protected NEXT year!?!?!
    Btw- Darko doesn't seem to be a bust. It seems that the teams busted a high talent by not being able to integrate him.

11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Micro the Flips not the GM remark seems weak. Are you waffling on the "Flip don't use his bench right"? Maybe it's not you but it seems everyone else doesn't like Flips rotations and minutes division. And most of us are pissed he didn't brute force Darko into the line up. And don't start up with how many minutes he needed.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Are we satisfied with 50 wins in 62 games? Hell naw, we should have 55 wins by now. Did someone say he coaches scared?
    ...I don't know men but it seems we let a lot of talent go. And if we had kept these guys we wouldn't need Delk or Cato or another lotto pick.
    THE CAP IS SOFT!!!

12. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

this is how it works. the pick is for next year's draft (2007), not this year's upcoming draft. if orlando's pick is 6 or lower, we get it in 2007. if orlando has a top 5 pick, then we get their 2008 first round pick. if the pick is in 2008, we get it no matter what - so if they have the #1 overall draft pick in 2008 that's what we would get.

it is NOT that if they have a top 5 pick next year we don't get a draft pick at all.

13. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Feel free to speak for yourself, but please don't presume to speak for "everyone else." Fans always complain about rotations, so big deal. And as far as I'm concerned, the guy who should have forced Darko into the lineup was Darko.

14. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Money obviously was a big factor in Mike signing elsewhere. However, if you go back into the Joe D quote archives, you'll find that Joe recognized that Mike wanted to be a starter. Joe seemed to acknowledge that the pursuit of that goal was the best thing for Mike - so he blessed it and alowed Mike to move on in pursuit of that goal.

Joe essentially said the same thing about Memo. He's young guy looking for a good opportunity and trying to make a name (and some money) for himself. It was the right the move for Memo and Joe knew it.

15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Nier, are you telling me I need to start a "Flip's Minute Division" poll?
    I'll get the majority opinion pal! Could you stand to be on the losing side?
    All it takes is a little push buddy!!
    --------------------------------------------
    If my Darko poll is correct, most people think he will be a solid big or better. So why wouldn't they want Darko pushing for minutes by getting minutes like Mo? Mo may be a bad compairison on a talent level, but he gets minutes anyway maybe at the expense of Fino. But don't get me wrong I like Mo and Fino.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Dwight Howard and Darko Milicic have become a defensive presence in the middle for the Orlando Magic. Howard had a season-high six blocks and Milicic added four, giving him 14 in the last three games, to help Orlando beat Boston 84-77 on Friday night.

"I've been watching Darko block shots the last couple of games and I just tried to do some of the same things tonight," said Howard, who also had 18 points and 13 rebounds. "The coaches are expecting a big defensive presence from both of us and they got it tonight."

The Howard-Milicic front line framed the game, combining for 28 points, 19 rebounds and 10 blocks as the Magic posted their fourth win in the past five games.

"I think everybody's getting a good look at the future with this team," guard Keyon Dooling said.

Howard had 18 points, 13 rebounds, six blocks and a mind-boggling dunk in 42 minutes. Milicic added 10 points, six boards and four blocks in just under 20 minutes as a reserve.
    Great, Dwight Howard is now trying to emulate Darko... what have we done?

17. TWOTIMESRALPHI

we blew the chance to build a long- time distance in favor for a soon overaged frontcourt.

18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Our front court has 4 more solid years! That's assuming Dyess can hold up. And Sheed can keep his head straight. Acker, Johnson and Jmax will be long gone. Whole new group a vets. coming in.

19. max

max All-Star

In that game why did Battie start at center and play twice as many minutes 31 than Darko 17?

It remains the Battie-Howard front line. Darko has been playing less mins than Dyess.

20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I guess Battie won't be completely dumped on.