Good Luck Darko in Orlando

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DaviaG-Rap, Feb 15, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Re: Darko Arrives

You know, someone in Darko's entourage/management should be exiled.

Is this the image they want to project? Goofy kid with sun burn?

This is supposed to be DARKO UNLEASHED : REVENGE OF THE EUROS!

We should be bombarded with embarassing (to Pistons fans) tales of DMC bench pressing cars, making 500 consecutive 3 pointers with his eyes closed, and rescuing small children from quicksand.

Ok, well maybe just that he's in the gym, pulling a Rocky, ready for his bust out first night as a legitimate NBA player.

Oh no....

DMC's kicking it on the beach (he's been there what, 4 days?). I mean, players like a break during All-Star weekend, but those are usually the guys who have been PLAYING.

I got a real bad vibe about this. Either his head ain't straight, his handlers suck, or a combination of the two. No one should be writing "just a kid" stories about Darko at this point in his career. Not even if he buys himself a red firetruck.

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Re: Good Luck Darko

He usually is, but he is testy today because he is nervous about a certain matchup later tonight. :D

3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Warts, are you saying he is going to pull a Wayneo?

4. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I was thinking the same thing.

5. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

what's the story behind that again? i remember the picture (please someone post it lol), but not the story

6. linwood

linwood All-Star

I'm sorry if I seem a little testy about Darko. As some of you may know, Mr. Tater has picked up a certain young Serbian Stud for his fantasy team. So far, my team has relied on the Big Aristotle to carry us through, but with a certified Shaq stopper about to be unleashed... well, I'm sure you can see my concern.

Plus, if Darko went for 100 the Mamba would have him killed.

7. linwood

linwood All-Star

Kids been under a lot of stress and pressure lately. Give him a break. He deserves it. How much longer will the kid be young, rich, and in the NBA? Maybe another 10 years or so for the first two, and maybe another season for the last.

8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I think he had a Disneyland visit and put it on for some kids event. Then S.Mitchell mimmiced[spoofed] it.

9. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Sorry, but no good words from me toward Darko. He is the enemy now, and his attitude assisted in blowing our number 2 pick. The last thing I want is for him to blow up on a different team. How much of a nightmare would that be with Dwight and the "hype" version of Darko in our conference for the next 12-14 years? No thanks, I want that pick to be worth something.

10. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I've gotta agree with you Fresh22.

Regardless of what all of the people who think Darko is the second coming say, he was given a shot.

There is a heck of a lot more to the situation than what we see in a game and read in the papers. For the potential this kid was supposed to have, he surely didn't take advantage of what chances he was given.

He was practicing with 3 current/former All-Stars everyday. If he was really that good, the coach (regardless of who it was) would have had no choice but to play him.

Simply put: He didn't earn the hype, he didn't earn the trust, and he didn't earn the playing time.

When a guy like Evans or Ham or Dupree gets more playing time, than the #2 pick it makes you wonder... what do those other guys have that Darko doesn't? Answer: HUSTLE. DESIRE. DRIVE. They make the most of what they've got athletically and mentally. For as promising as Darko may be, he certainly never showed us a consistent level of hustle, desire, or drive.

I don't HATE Darko, but I really don't want to see him develop into a star and "get up for" every game he plays against the team that "never gave him a shot". Not only would it be a stupid overplayed story line to every game, it would also be completely inaccurate. He had "his shot". Think about this...

Would Lebron, Carmelo, Wade, or Bosch have enough mental toughness to ride out a season or two of little playing time, only to earn their way into a good amount of playing time? I think so.

What makes it worse is that Joe D really WANTED Darko to develop into the future of this franchise. He had everybody, including most of the fans, in his corner, and he still pouted like a spoiled child.

Good Luck Darko? Nahh.

Best wishes? Nahhh.

Put up or shut up? Yeah.

11. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Solid game from the two ex-Pistons

Darko 3 minutes, 2 points
    Arroyo 5 minutes, 0 points, 2 assists, 1 PF

Did Joe D throw Flip in the trade as well?? :confused:

12. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Of course you probably didn't watch the game did you? All of the Magic fans on REALGM were pretty ticked that DARKO and ARROYO got so few minutes. Darko was the ONLY PLAYER ON ORLANDO to slow down Zydrunas and Arroyo was their only PG that was getting the ball to D. Howard in the post. Both Darko and Arroyo needed more minutes and the Magic fans were calling for Coach Brian Hill's head. I realize it was only their first game after one practice with the team but they played better than many of the Magic's rotation players ahead of them at their respective positions.

13. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

They both have to have big chips on their shoulders... basically being told that they are not seen as necessary to win a championship by Pistons management.

14. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Easy Mrs. Milicic, I was just playin'. I'm sure your son will be an excellent NBA player. I wish him nothing but the best of luck with his sunburn.

Besides, that was more of a shot at Flip not using his bench than it was at either of those guys (Billups and Ben both played over 42 minutes again tonight, while Delfino got a whopping 5 - AGAINST THE FREAKING HAWKS!!!).

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

From someone who watched the whole Orlando game, here is my Darko, Arroyo summary:

Darko- not much to talk about since he only played a couple of minutes. Cleveland went right at him on the first possession and turned it over. The only time they scored on him was when Darko helped out on a guard who was penetrating. They kicked it out to Ilgauskus, Darko challenged, but couldn't get the block.

On offense, Darko set a lot of screens, and posted up a few times, but never got the pass. Then they gave him a pick and roll opportunity and the guard passed it right to his feet. Darko scooped it up nicely and made an unbelievable reverse off the glass in heavy traffic. I'm not sure how he did it, but he acted like it was easy.

Arroyo- they put him in when the game was out of reach, and the Magic scored on 8 straight possessions, pretty much because of him. He was very aggressive in driving and dishing. Mostly Dwight Howard was the recipient. The only reason that Arroyo's assists weren't 3 higher is because of the fouling on Howard. The highlight was a crazy alley oop. The comeback was underway as they cut it to 8 points, but then Lebron ended it with 3 straight jumpers.

My bet is that Arroyo gets a lot of playing time going forward. Darko will have to get more comfortable with the plays, so that they can call his number.

16. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

just goes to show that orlando fans aren't very smart. playing a PG right away w/o knowing the system isn't something you really wanna do...you gotta ease the guys into the system a little bit

17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I do not have the necessary words of gratitude to express how happy I am that this circus sideshow got legs and moved to another team's fan base. It's like, in the midst of all life's troubles and disappointments, my higher power has parted the clouds and shined an immense ray of sunshine on me and my favorite team. It is finally ok to talk about the starting 5 again.
    In 3 minutes, Darko earned more PT? What I would have given to see that kind of effort on a consistent basis here.

Arroyo is playing in front of hundreds (thousands?) of Puerto Ricans. There is a lot of passion and emotion there. if he becomes the starting PG next year, I predict a bad situation for him because the pressure will become impossible to succeed under.

I liked Carlos, and I was starting to genuinely feel sympathy for Darko. But they aren't Pistons anymore, and while I wish them both the best of luck, it is much easier for a fan like me who isn't "player specific" to enjoy the season.

18. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Well looks like Detroit was a horrible experience for the kid.

A quote from the post-game interviews had him saying it was a terrible experience in Detroit because he always worked hard and he never had the chance to play.

Looks like the kid just gave up trying hard every time he was put in the game here. Jeez.

Explains a lot Darko. THanks.

Good luck.

19. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

found it!! :D

[​IMG]

20. linwood

linwood All-Star

How many times can something like this happen? First Larry Brown, then Flip Suanders, and now Brian Hill.

It seems to me it's time for the NBA to clean house. Get these lousy bums out and bring in some people who are used to developing talent. Maybe we could look to the NBDL for some fresh faces. Those guys have some experience developing young/ inexperienced players.